XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to access battery for charging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default How to access battery for charging?

Hi

I am getting ready to store my XKRS for the winter. In addition to pumping up the tires and adding fuel additive, I'd like to connect a trickle charger to the battery. How do I get access to the battery terminals? It's was not very clear from the owner's manual.

Another option could be disconnecting the battery completely and storing it separately inside a more controlled climate environment inside the house. I'd like to hear from people who are in a similar situation. What do you do?

Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 11-12-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah - timely post. I'm just finishing-up a 'Battery FAQ' for the XK. I'll get it posted today or tomorrow...
However, what I'm about to say on Battery Chargers:
>>>
The auxiliary power socket (what was called the Cigar Lighter socket back in the non-PC days) is not live when the systems are shut down, so can't be used for charging.
I recommend connecting a battery charge lead directly to the existing threaded studs on the battery leads. I used a Battery Tender Ring Terminal harness with fused plug
(Amazon Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug) together with a Battery Tender 25ft extension cable (also available in 12.5 ft length)
(Amazon Battery Tender 081-0148-25 25' Quick Disconnect Extension Cable).

The Ring terminal harness attaches to the threaded studs on the battery leads with 2 * M8 (metric 8mm) nuts. It has a 7.5A in-line fuse and about 2ft of wire.

It plugs into the 12.5/25ft extension, and that easily reaches my charger. The cord easily passes under the weatherseal of a closed trunk
I keep the excess wire coiled in the spare wheel well.

Ensure the connector is insulated or covered when not in use, and this lead MUST be fused (and as close the battery as possible), since it is live at all times, and bypasses all the car systems....

I plug my maintainer in overnight, once a week or so, but some member (like Richzak and Stuart S) leave theirs plugged-in all the time.
<<<

Jeremy

Attached Thumbnails How to access battery for charging?-charge-cord-under-trunk.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

"The Ring terminal harness attaches to the threaded studs on the battery leads with 2 * M8 (metric 8mm) nuts. It has a 7.5A in-line fuse and about 2ft of wire."

100% correct. It's an easy 5 minute hookup to the battery post studs.

Great guide/photo for hooking up the battery trickle charger......

Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I prefer using the remote battery terminals in the trunk. I leave those wiring leads connected all the time and simply plug my maintainer into the quick-connect terminal in my trunk. Quicker, easier, and safer than connecting directly to the battery.

For a full discussion with how-to photos, see the thread "Battery Charge for Long Lay-Ups".

(Unable to post link since replied from my smartphone.)

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
............ For a full discussion with how-to photos, see the thread "Battery Charge for Long Lay-Ups.
These threads are close together in the listing now but that won't always be the situation. Here's a direct link to "Battery Charge for Long Lay-Ups" thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/

Always best to include a link when cross referencing another thread.

Graham

Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I just get a Batery tender on my cat few weeks ago before I stored it for the winter. The dealer installed it when I went for the oil change before storage..
The battery is such at a bad place, it seem to me much more simple to get the mechanic install it. They charged me 99 $ for the charger and about 1 hour the install it. I could have save some money buing a charger on amazon (69$) and install it myself, but I was rushed and no time to do it. Anyway, if there is a problem, the dealer should be rsponsable.

No trouble, 200 $ and it's done. Just plug it on an extension, and your OK for 5 months... At spring, I will have just the connector (about 4 inches long) in the trunk...

Guy

Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
I just get a Batery tender on my cat few weeks ago before I stored it for the winter. The dealer installed it when I went for the oil change before storage..
The battery is such at a bad place, it seem to me much more simple to get the mechanic install it. They charged me 99 $ for the charger and about 1 hour the install it. I could have save some money buing a charger on amazon (69$) and install it myself, but I was rushed and no time to do it. Anyway, if there is a problem, the dealer should be rsponsable.

No trouble, 200 $ and it's done. Just plug it on an extension, and your OK for 5 months... At spring, I will have just the connector (about 4 inches long) in the trunk...

Guy
The dealer ripped you off if he really took 1 hour to install the charger to the battery. It should take less than five minutes to attach the round terminals of the charger to the battery post. In addition, you may be very disappointed buying the Battery Tender brand as these units are well known for overheating, and melting the case. You may have to check the charger periodically to see if it is still functioning. I would not trust the reliability of the Battery Tender product over a 5 month period without checking the device.

The chargers that most Jaguar dealerships sell is the CTEK with the Jaguar logo on the cover of the charger as seen below. You can buy a CTEK 3300 on-line for under $60.00....hook it up yourself, saving almost $140.00 to $150.00 US

Attached Thumbnails How to access battery for charging?-ctek-charger-w-jaguar-branding.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 11-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
The dealer ripped you off
Weel, Rich, you're probably right, but I'm rally rushed on the business now and I don't have much time to loose to find my way to fix that charger in a so stupid place to put a battery in a car. I can figure it's more central to put the batery under the folded roof, but man, what a weird place.

When the dealer just ell me he can do it for me, I just say OK and moved on...

Guy

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Weel, Rich, you're probably right, but I'm rally rushed on the business now and I don't have much time to loose to find my way to fix that charger in a so stupid place to put a battery in a car. I can figure it's more central to put the batery under the folded roof, but man, what a weird place.

When the dealer just ell me he can do it for me, I just say OK and moved on...

Guy
I can totally understand. The learning curve on the Jag XKR has been quite steep for me.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I keep my Battery Tender on a small piece of formica on rear shelf where I can see it by just looking thru the rear window (Coupe).
Just another reason why Coupes are superior..................
Battery location is great; it's clean, cool and away from gasoline and only takes 2 mins to gain access.
Do have to admit my wife's XK8 has a little better access (still in trunk, where it belongs!).

Cheers, Adrian

Cheers, Adrian

Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Or, Adrian, you could leave it on the floor behind the XK .
Now, you have marked Jaguars-on-the-Island in Victoria on your calendar, right? (July 25-27, 2014, largest Jaguar show in North America).
And yes, the coupés are superior!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by britannia
I keep my Battery Tender on a small piece of formica on rear shelf where I can see it by just looking thru the rear window (Coupe)
I won't get in that debate on which is better from coupe to conv., but I can tell you that on a conv. the access seem a bit more complicated. But you know what? I wouldn't trade my ride for anything else. It's a small desagrement in comparaison of the fun we have with our toys!!

Guy

Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I don't understand why so many of you connect your chargers directly to the battery terminals when it is so much easier, faster and safer to use the remote battery terminals, which is what my owners manual recommends when using booster cables.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I don't understand why so many of you connect your chargers directly to the battery terminals when it is so much easier, faster and safer to use the remote battery terminals, which is what my owners manual recommends when using booster cables.
I didn't want to use aligator type clips to hold the wiring. I felt going direct to the tiny threaded battery posts was a better way. It's permanent and I know the round terminals leads will never come off. It was a clean and neat connection and easy to do, just a few minutes.

I am not sure about the safety aspect. I really can't see how a direct connection would not be safe. I have never heard or read about a potential safety issue using a direct connection.

My wire harness from the CTEK comes out of the rear battery compartment and looks great. I just unscrew the 4 plastic thumb screws and the panel is removed.

Trickle charging is highly recommended due to the fact that the charger emits a very low voltage to the battery.

Batteries can explode for many various reasons as they could emit hydrogen gas.

My battery is a Delco sealed battery. The CTEK 3300 will automatically shut down when the battery is fully charged, thus it is considered a "smart" charger. I am relying on the technology of the CTEK 3300 charger and there proven results. I cannot find anywhere that the CTEK 3300 caused a battery to expload.

From CTEK.....MULTI US 3300 operates in a three step fully automatic cycle IUoUp. It starts the charging with an almost constant current (0.8A or 3.3A) until maximum voltage (14.4V or 14.7V) is reached. At this point the charger switches to constant voltage, and the current supply to the battery is gradually reduced. If the current drops to 0.4 A, the charger switches to
pulse maintenance. If the battery is charged and the terminal voltage of the battery falls to 12.9 V, the charger automatically starts again at the first step of the charge characteristic. The MULTI US 3300 measures both voltage and current in order to determine out whether the charging process is finished or whether a new charging cycle must be started. Various methods are used, depending on the time of the measurement.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I just used the supplied terminal plugs for mine and connected them to the jump lugs in the trunk. It has worked great and my charging light is on the wall plug in so I can see when it's "floating".

Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Frankly, I am surprised to hear that some have had trouble with the Battery Tender brand charger. I personally own 4 of these, and have had no trouble in 10+ years of use. Motorcycles, hot rods, Jaguars... you name it. Now, admittedly, I have the "original" style Tenders in the metal case. Never had the small plastic one. I have also used and installed the Ctek chargers. No problems there, either. The Harley dealer I used to work at installs Tender leads on every bike before delivery. They also used the Tender Multi Station chargers for our inventory. Never a failure. I recommend them to all my friends.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chopr
Frankly, I am surprised to hear that some have had trouble with the Battery Tender brand charger. I personally own 4 of these, and have had no trouble in 10+ years of use. Motorcycles, hot rods, Jaguars... you name it. Now, admittedly, I have the "original" style Tenders in the metal case. Never had the small plastic one. I have also used and installed the Ctek chargers. No problems there, either. The Harley dealer I used to work at installs Tender leads on every bike before delivery. They also used the Tender Multi Station chargers for our inventory. Never a failure. I recommend them to all my friends.
I, too, never had a problem with my old Battery Tender that was made in the USA and had a metal case. Unfortunately, I sold it in 2002 with my '60 Vette. The last Battery Tender I bought was made in China and had a plastic case. It overheated, melted the case, and boiled the electrolyte out of the battery. It was less than 1 year old and I had to pay a fee to have it replaced under warranty. Read the reviews on Amazon. There are much better choices than the Battery Tender brand. Hope yours continue to keep working!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyB
Ah - timely post. I'm just finishing-up a 'Battery FAQ' for the XK. I'll get it posted today or tomorrow...
However, what I'm about to say on Battery Chargers:
>>>
The auxiliary power socket (what was called the Cigar Lighter socket back in the non-PC days) is not live when the systems are shut down, so can't be used for charging.
I recommend connecting a battery charge lead directly to the existing threaded studs on the battery leads. I used a Battery Tender Ring Terminal harness with fused plug
(Amazon Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug) together with a Battery Tender 25ft extension cable (also available in 12.5 ft length)
(Amazon Battery Tender 081-0148-25 25' Quick Disconnect Extension Cable).

The Ring terminal harness attaches to the threaded studs on the battery leads with 2 * M8 (metric 8mm) nuts. It has a 7.5A in-line fuse and about 2ft of wire.

It plugs into the 12.5/25ft extension, and that easily reaches my charger. The cord easily passes under the weatherseal of a closed trunk
I keep the excess wire coiled in the spare wheel well.

Ensure the connector is insulated or covered when not in use, and this lead MUST be fused (and as close the battery as possible), since it is live at all times, and bypasses all the car systems....

I plug my maintainer in overnight, once a week or so, but some member (like Richzak and Stuart S) leave theirs plugged-in all the time.
<<<

Jeremy
Is the 2 foot chord long enough to drape outside the Coupe trunk to connect to any extension chord or........do you need that 8 ft extension they sell on Amazon to get it out of the Coupe trunk and have the trunk close tight? Will any typical extension chord work with the chord that comes with the CTEK charger? I just ordered the 3300 from Amazon.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Is the 2 foot chord long enough to drape outside the Coupe trunk to connect to any extension chord or........do you need that 8 ft extension they sell on Amazon to get it out of the Coupe trunk and have the trunk close tight? Will any typical extension chord work with the chord that comes with the CTEK charger? I just ordered the 3300 from Amazon.
Boca:

I have the same CTEK 3300 on both the Jaguar XKR and Porsche 981.

I highly recommend the 8' CTEK Comfort extension. You will most likely need it. CTEK suggests NOT to use an extension cord from the electrical outlet to the charger plug.

Here's the link.

CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive

You use the heavy duty cord from the charger directly into the electrical socket. The other end, with comfort extension, and round ring battery terminals go direct to the small battery posts, or you can connect the way that Stuart S has shown in his photos here.

Either way, you will never have a low or dead battery for many years ahead, until the battery just wears out.

The CTEK 3300 will be the best device you buy for the new XK.

Quick Reply: How to access battery for charging?