XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If Jaguar were redesigning the 4.2 XK Today what suggestions would you like to make?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I really like the 4.2 X150s. We had a 5L XKR overnight and we thought it was too modern. We much preferred the NA 4.2.

That said, it’s not perfect. I’d love to have seen a removable infotainment. I wish all cars were mandated to have that, as even CarPlay or what not will not future proof the car.

Less plastic. Wish the surrounds were metals or wood.

Real Aluminum pedals. Even the factory kits are chromed plastic.

I really like the car as a 2+2 and that was a hard requirement for me. I even like to E-Type 2+2s (see my garage).

I’m not crazy about the luggage separator. It’s just awkward. Also, a hard top convertible would have been awesome.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Remove the electric e-brake and put a good ol' pull up hand brake.
OK....
As long as we're going back a bit, why not build a car with a 5 speed manual transmission, with a real clutch. Tightnen it up a bit so it would handle like my 1956 XK120 did. That was some car!!! Downshift from 4th to 2nd, pop the clutch and make a 45degree turn at 40MPH. I sold it in '68..... One of my life's mistakes......
Those were the days when they made real Sports Cars, that were fun to drive.

Last edited by Rick'sJag; 02-21-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm just too 'old school', but..I prefer the J-Gate. Or, at least, perhaps, attach the paddle shifters to the column..instead. I like to shift up and out of curve..tracking the paddle location on the wheel in the middle of a turn isn't 'natural'.
ALWAYS show the gear selection!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Harwood
Maybe I'm just too 'old school', but..I prefer the J-Gate. Or, at least, perhaps, attach the paddle shifters to the column..instead. I like to shift up and out of curve..tracking the paddle location on the wheel in the middle of a turn isn't 'natural'.
ALWAYS show the gear selection!
I recall when my father bought a 59 Dodge custom royal with the 383 ci 4 bbl and 3 speed PUSH BUTTON transmission. I just got my licence then and remember shifting 1,2,3 with the buttons and getting rubber in all three gears . He always wondered why the rear tires wore out so fast.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I recall when my father bought a 59 Dodge custom royal with the 383 ci 4 bbl and 3 speed PUSH BUTTON transmission. I just got my licence then and remember shifting 1,2,3 with the buttons and getting rubber in all three gears . He always wondered why the rear tires wore out so fast.
hehe - those went into the 60's if I'm not mistaken. We called them "dial a stitch" transmissions for some reason I can no longer recall.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsclark
Not just heated seat, but the back of the seats heated also.
Really! I’ve just taken delivery of my XKR and being summer, I haven’t used the seat heaters as yet. But do they really only heat the base and not the backs? Surely not, that is just too primitive!

The Portfolio is brilliant, but the more I get to know it I find that it could certainly have had some basic additional conveniences and features that are standard in other models that would make it, just that much more pleasurable to live with:​​​​​
​LSD (as mentioned by others)
Sunglasses holder
Water temp gauge
auxilary audio input
DTRL
Jack and basic tool kit
Odometer reset without having to reset All of Trip A or B items.
Foldable rear seat back

Last edited by XJCCAT; 02-24-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by XJCCAT
Really! I’ve just taken delivery of my XKR and being summer, I haven’t used the seat heaters as yet. But do they really only heat the base and not the backs? Surely not, that is just too primitive!
Difficult to be certain without a thermal camera, but as I regularly use the seat heater, I do believe that seat back is also heated. Not all of it, however. I think the element does not stretch very far down as the lowest part of my back still feels a bit cold, and it's also probably not as wide as the seating surface, either.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
hehe - those went into the 60's if I'm not mistaken. We called them "dial a stitch" transmissions for some reason I can no longer recall.
I just took a trip back in time.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...sion&FORM=IGRE

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

auxilary audio input
Jack
FYI, in case you did not know, an iPod and aux input was a dealer option. It’s called an Audio Connevtivity Module (ACM). I just had one installed in my 2007 XK. Pricey for what it is, but it does work well.

Also, a jack and other accessories should be on top of the spare tire in trunk under the main panel.

Best!

Old 02-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
FYI, in case you did not know, an iPod and aux input was a dealer option. It’s called an Audio Connevtivity Module (ACM). I just had one installed in my 2007 XK. Pricey for what it is, but it does work well.

Also, a jack and other accessories should be on top of the spare tire in trunk under the main panel.

Best!
Ahh yes. Just purchased the ACM kit (pricey indeed). But that will be my next job to install that. But it no real hurry at the moment as I’m still enjoying that symphony of the exhaust and supercharger whir as they make wonderful music 🎶 together.

in so far as the Jack is concerned, there is no spare in the Portfolio due to the size of the brakes, but still would have been good to provide that and a basic tool kit. My old $50K BMW had it, so you would think a $250K (when new) Jaguar would have had some basic tools.
Ohh, come to think of it, probably not. I guess they would assume the owner would have had someone to come and attend to it.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Ahh yes. Just purchased the ACM kit (pricey indeed). But that will be my next job to install that. But it no real hurry at the moment as I’m still enjoying that symphony of the exhaust and supercharger whir as they make wonderful music 🎶 together.
Oh damn, pity you already bought the ACM, it's possible to retrofit the iPod/USB Portable Audio interface from the 2009 which gives you much better functionality than the ACM...

I know some guys in Melbourne who could have done it for you.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Oh damn, pity you already bought the ACM, it's possible to retrofit the iPod/USB Portable Audio interface from the 2009 which gives you much better functionality than the ACM...

I know some guys in Melbourne who could have done it for you.
Thanks Cambo, if you have the Melb contact, that would be great. May be worth checking that option out and may just resell the ACM.
Cheers;

Last edited by XJCCAT; 02-25-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Thanks Cambo, if you have the Melb contact, that would be great. May be worth checking that option out and may just resell the ACM.
Cheers;
Sent you a PM mate.

XJCCAT (02-26-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD, Ride, noise.

Performance worse than a Moris Minor in the wet from a standing start.

Poor ride for a Jaguar.

Noisy exhaust system,(I know some like it).

Current models diff details not clearly shown, promoting AWD etc., even then not clear which models available on.

The complete failure of the traction system from a standing start is remarkable.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:08 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Revitalizing this thread as the winter refresh season is upon us. Not interested in any modern gimmicks or clearly, dated solutions; but I am interested in a timeless, elegant, grand touring, driving theme.
I drive my car. Its not a show queen. The entertainment is driving, not playing with the touch screen.
So, what can you show me??
Cheers.

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
ralphwg (11-25-2023), tberg (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gripes

Absence of LSD, really hopeless slow srarting off on wet road, embarrassingly slow.
Wheels too big, horrible ride even on 18 inch wheels.
Exhaust too noisy, sounds rough in all senses.
Very poor rear seat room, XJS had much better accomodation within same exterior dimensions.
Less room in boot than XJS.
Under bonnet air bags, very expensive faults occur. Remove or disable.
Different tyres front to back, a real pain to procure rear tyres, never readily available in UK.
Screen controls not as good as knobs and don't work when screen having a day off, or in bright light etc.
Frankly the XJS was a much better car, it rusted, no traction control, early models no ABS.
So the ideal would be an alloy XJS able to run on hydrogen, with the other bits sorted as well.

Last edited by julian.bone; 11-24-2023 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-24-2023, 11:33 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Thanks for your gripes @julian.bone … but I am actually looking for “improvements to this car”.
Most of your gripes have been addressed by many, including me.

Too true, the xkr is a very different beast from the xjs. I’ll stay with the stable I have.

ralphwg (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 11:37 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Manual, transmission and round headlights.
this, with a crisp shifting 5 speed.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:21 PM
guy
Veteran Member

tiptronic works fine.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

I've not read this thread in a few years, does it state the obvious? Make it a C-X75.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
George Abitbol (11-28-2023), Hans Amstein (11-26-2023), jahummer (11-26-2023), Stuart S (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: If Jaguar were redesigning the 4.2 XK Today what suggestions would you like to make?