XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

The title says it all:

If Jaguar does discontinue the XK/XKR in lieu of increased production of the Jaguar F-Type to ultimately takes its place, what are our XK/XKR's going to be worth?

Do they depreciate to a small value, where no one has in interest in these models?

Do they go up in value since they have been limited production automobiles, and a premium brand.

Do we sell our cars now?

Do we hold for potential future increase in value?

In order to become a classic they usually have to be 20 years old according to USA standards.

Your thoughts, and I bet there will be lots of them.

Lets get a good discussion going.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't care what anyone else does I'm keeping both my XKR and XKRS FOR THE DURATION OF MY LIFE. Stock baby!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

There are currently two similar discussions on this subject going at this moment. Is there a confirmation from Jaguar that the XK series is being discontinued or is it just that production of the current version will end next year and then be followed by a newly designed model? I would find it rather odd that the F-type would be considered the replacement. It is not a 2+2 (as useless as the rear seats are in the XK for humans, they provide extra storage, and you can throw a dog in there). The F-type, as good as it is as a sports car, has a very limited market as a 2 seater (as with all 2 seat cars). BMW and Mercedes and even Porsche (whose business model Jaguar seems to be mimicking) have a smaller sports car as well as their larger GT cars. Z-4 and 650 series for BMW, SLK and SL for Mercedes, Cayman/Boxter and 911 for Porsche. The profit margin for the XK series has to be the most lucrative for Jaguar, so I'm sure we will see a new XK model to follow. It doesn't make economic sense not to. It may get a bit bigger like the BMW 650, but I sincerely doubt they would eliminate a marque that has carried the banner for some 18 years. It's not easy to build a reputation like that.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't see any slow in depreciation or any appreciation prospects for this car; at least in the short term. The bottom out price could be a little higher than the XK8's, but don't count on that either.

I am hope I am wrong.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I don't care what anyone else does I'm keeping both my XKR and XKRS FOR THE DURATION OF MY LIFE. Stock baby!!!
I believe keeping these cars "stock" is the wisest way to proceed if holding/owning for the long haul.

Good decision. I do agree 100%

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

A good discussion of this topic last week ...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ce-xke-107513/

I think its collectability will be largely determined by how appealing the XK successor will be, and powerful convertible versions of sporty models always seem to demand a premium.

Bruce

Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I believe keeping these cars "stock" is the wisest way to proceed if holding/owning for the long haul.

Good decision. I do agree 100%
Stock is a short term strategy!

GOOD mods will add long term since they will referred to as "fixes" and a car being "sorted" when our girls get some age on them. Also make it yours if you're keeping it long term.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

What is a "good mod" and what problems does it fix??

I would only buy a car that was modded if they kept all the original parts and all of the mods were reversible. Stock 100% to keep the highest value!

I would have to think that the bottom of the cars' values has to be higher than the previous XK8. This car is such a great improvement in almost every aspect and they just seem so much more rare, but I doubt this is the case.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

If Jag wants another GT but not in the mold of a sleek sportscar like the current XK...I say drop the XK name and go with something fresh. That would also make our cars the last in a long line!!!

I predict these cars will not gain in collectability in the sense of ever becoming rarer(than they already are) or more valuable.... But people are not going to stop looking at you like your an alien and coming up to u at the gas station to gauck when u drive it.....anytime soon!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
What is a "good mod" and what problems does it fix??

I would only buy a car that was modded if they kept all the original parts and all of the mods were reversible. Stock 100% to keep the highest value!

I would have to think that the bottom of the cars' values has to be higher than the previous XK8. This car is such a great improvement in almost every aspect and they just seem so much more rare, but I doubt this is the case.
The fix is all in the eye of the beholder. I think my exhaust is too quiet and I think my wheels are too sunk in - not flush enough so that is 2 things that could be addressed.

Unlike many cars - there are so few known problems with these but they will show in time.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default If The Current XK Series Is Discontinued ...

I've had a 1995 Acura NSX for 17 years and since the NSX was discontinued in 2005, I haven't seen any noticable increase or decrease in the values of 1991 - 2005 models. Therefore, I'm guessing the same thing will happen to our Jags. If a 'new' XK is introduced in the future, it will no doubt be more expensive (like the new NSX) and may very well be different enough in looks, power or both (like the new NSX) that our Jags should remain as desirable as they are currently (like my older NSX). Keeping your Jag 100% stock or making modifications to it is a matter of personal preference as there will always be a market for both. But the idea of keeping all original parts (exhaust, wheels, etc.) to be included at the time of sale will negate any chance of the modifications lowering the value of your Jag, as well as making your Jag marketable to prospective buyers of both camps. That's what I've done with my NSX and my Jag.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Snide72
I've had a 1995 Acura NSX for 17 years and since the NSX was discontinued in 2005, I haven't seen any noticable increase or decrease in the values of 1991 - 2005 models. Therefore, I'm guessing the same thing will happen to our Jags. If a 'new' XK is introduced in the future, it will no doubt be more expensive (like the new NSX) and may very well be different enough in looks, power or both (like the new NSX) that our Jags should remain as desirable as they are currently (like my older NSX). Keeping your Jag 100% stock or making modifications to it is a matter of personal preference as there will always be a market for both. But the idea of keeping all original parts (exhaust, wheels, etc.) to be included at the time of sale will negate any chance of the modifications lowering the value of your Jag, as well as making your Jag marketable to prospective buyers of both camps. That's what I've done with my NSX and my Jag.
Agreed but bottom line for me is that I don't expect to make money on this car as a transaction based investment. Losing less money would be nice but I bought the car to drive and enjoy so the price I paid was from an "entertainment" budget if you will. Your NSX has likely paid for itself by now if you purchased it out of this same kind of budget.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The fix is all in the eye of the beholder. I think my exhaust is too quiet and I think my wheels are too sunk in - not flush enough so that is 2 things that could be addressed.

Unlike many cars - there are so few known problems with these but they will show in time.
Agree with both of those and the car is could use a few performance mods but thats just me. I have all my original parts in storage and can have it back to 100% stock in 2 days.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree, too...Almost every sports car I've owned I modded to some degree, and I have enjoyed each of them immensely more than in their stock form. I believe there is always room for improvement that perhaps the factory couldn't/wouldn't do because of certain product, pricing, or engineering constraints they may have had.

When it came time to sell, two of my cars sold for more than a stock car would have. The others sold for around the same price as stock. As a rule of thumb, consider most mods done to a car as a loss...but that doesn't necessarily mean the car is worth less.

Certain collectors of high-end cars prefer stock, yes, but they are well out numbered by the general buyer who is just looking for a great car. And if it comes with a few tasteful mods, well that's all the better. Of course, its always a good idea keep your stock equipment so the buyer has a choice if they want to revert back to stock.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

My concern about selling a car for top dollar with performance mods is that a prospective buyer is likely to be concerned that the car has been driven harder/abused, or that there may be wear/reliability issues resulting from the mods themselves...both leading that buyer to find a stock car. Look at the concern most have with an ECU tune compared to changing rims. Most folks here seem to carefully research mods, and satisfy themselves as to their safety. So I'd not only keep the original parts, but also re-install any that might prevent a sale rather than try to convince a buyer that the mod is fine.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA
Agree with both of those and the car is could use a few performance mods but thats just me. I have all my original parts in storage and can have it back to 100% stock in 2 days.
I vote to have your posting privileges revoked until you stop being so stingy with your car and post some pics! Don't you have some wheels to show us?

PICS! PICS! PICS!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Just curious how the 3000GT VR4s, 93+ SupraTT, BMW 850s are doing since they were discontinued? Maybe it'll be an indication of the current X150s if they were discontinued.

I doubt it would appreciate or hold it's value like the CGT, Gen 3 Viper ACR or Ford GTs as these are considered (already) collector cars but I hope I'm wrong. I know the Ford GTs are going for around $130k-$150k used which is about the same or better than new.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
My concern about selling a car for top dollar with performance mods is that a prospective buyer is likely to be concerned that the car has been driven harder/abused, or that there may be wear/reliability issues resulting from the mods themselves...both leading that buyer to find a stock car. Look at the concern most have with an ECU tune compared to changing rims. Most folks here seem to carefully research mods, and satisfy themselves as to their safety. So I'd not only keep the original parts, but also re-install any that might prevent a sale rather than try to convince a buyer that the mod is fine.
Bruce that is a valid concern and I'm sure there may be a few people who are specifically looking for a stock car. In that case they will have to pass mine up, perhaps without even considering it. However, if someone wants an XKR-S vert, they may have very few other choices, so maybe I'll have that working for me.

I'm glad that you did consider many people here who do mod their cars, do so properly and are almost OCD about it. Personally, my cars are pristine and properly taken care of. They are not daily drivers and will remain low mileage while in my possession. And like you said, the mods are carefully researched, and can easily be reverted back to stock in a single day, if need be. But, so far in my past experiences, this has not been necessary.

Although I must say, since I am a salesman, convincing a prospective buyer that they need the mods is half the fun.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Bruce that is a valid concern and I'm sure there may be a few people who are specifically looking for a stock car. In that case they will have to pass mine up, perhaps without even considering it. However, if someone wants an XKR-S vert, they may have very few other choices, so maybe I'll have that working for me.

I'm glad that you did consider many people here who do mod their cars, do so properly and are almost OCD about it. Personally, my cars are pristine and properly taken care of. They are not daily drivers and will remain low mileage while in my possession. And like you said, the mods are carefully researched, and can easily be reverted back to stock in a single day, if need be. But, so far in my past experiences, this has not been necessary.

Although I must say, since I am a salesman, convincing a prospective buyer that they need the mods is half the fun.
What do you sell?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by R_Rated
What do you sell?
Joint venture partnerships into oil/gas wells. Been here about 9 years now. It's a blast and we have some of the best clients/partners in the U.S.

After this week I am on vacation until January 6th! Love my job. The only bad day is a dry hole...luckily, we've had very few of them since I've been here.

Quick Reply: If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?