XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Impossible to replace 4.2L with 5.0L engine on XK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Impossible to replace 4.2L with 5.0L engine on XK?

Almost a rhetorical question.

So how viable would it be to take a 4.2L (300hp) engine from an 2007 XK and replace it with a 5.0L (385hp) engine from a 2010 XK, assuming you can even find the replacement?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Or, sell the 2007 and buy a 2010.
I'm sure other members will say just buy a shevvie LS engine and use that. I'd say, buy a Coyote and use THAT... lighter and more power. Both of those options have WAY more support and available parts for swaps into just about anything. PLUS, you could easily swap in a manual trans, if that's your thing.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I think when it comes to OEM vs OEM, its better to just get the car with the OEM equipment you want.

I would sell my XK, and get an XKR if I wanted supercharging, etc...

Only if you really love your car and an engine blows does an engine swap become even remotely practical.

As to your question, I can't really answer, but I would sell what you have and buy the other. It would come in a lot less $$$.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Possible, yes. Practical, no. Gotta remember that most of the electronics have to be replaced along with the engine.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Assuming you could even do it, you would ruin resale value on the '07.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I think engine swaps are getting more difficult from a legal and emissions standpoint. In Arizona, and other states I assume, if the car's VIN number does not match the VIN in the ECU you cannot pass emissions so it cannot be registered. AZ is usually not a leader in this type of thing so I image a lot of other states will follow suite if they have not already.

As Don T stated above, the ECU needs to match the motor. I *think* changing VINs in the ECU is NOT trivial. Someone with an SDD can answer that.

Bottom line, I would not try it. Buy the 2010 XK and be done with it if you really need 385 HP. (If my E Type had a Chevy motor in it I might understand swapping it for a 5 liter XK motor. Then I could have a REALLY fast car that did not brake very well.)

Old 07-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

I think you should do something entirely different and swap a D15 Honda Civic engine in, complete with the FWD driveline. You'll be able to find an entire donor vehicle for about $500, and when the swap is all done, you'll get great economy and will **** off the purists. :-D

To answer your question, no, it is not practically possible. You'd need to have a running '10+ for all the electronics, wiring, and probably the fuel system and exhaust as well, and by the time you swapped it all over, it would have been easier to just take the wheels off the '07 and put them on the '10+ donor.

Then there's gotcha stuff you wouldn't necessarily think about like making the J gate shifter work with the '10+ electronics (it most likely won't), or swapping out the interior to put the rotary knob in. So now you'll have to find one that is also the same color interior as yours. Or maybe not, because you're going to be removing almost all the interior in both cars to get the wiring swapped over, so maybe just a full interior swap while you're there.

What about troubleshooting because you know there's going to be some issues at first? Ever play around with an automotive CANBUS network? I haven't, but I do it in the aviation side of things, and it is not fun.

The short of it is, the engine management systems in these things are so integrated with the rest of the car that unless you're doing a swap to an engine that was never offered in there, there is absolutely no point in doing it.

Last edited by Mandrake; 07-16-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I see! Great answers- thanks for the wisdom. Didn't think it was going to happen.

i think I'll settle for a small ETG tune.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I can't imagine anyway it would be feasible unless you drowned your car and found a bent '10 or up to do a body swap on. Basically set them side by side on stand and pull everything off the drowned car and then start swapping parts off the bent one onto it. Huge endeavor.

I've done it once or twice on much older stuff and just across a couple years too much changes creating a huge PITA to sort stuff little out and make everything work OEM.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by aratnam
I see! Great answers- thanks for the wisdom. Didn't think it was going to happen.

i think I'll settle for a small ETG tune.
PM me I can run you through a few options for the xk

Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

5.0 Supercharged V8 in an XJ350 would be something else! Set suspension for something sporty with big brakes and that is the ultimate sleeper.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
5.0 Supercharged V8 in an XJ350 would be something else! Set suspension for something sporty with big brakes and that is the ultimate sleeper.
OR......

Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I considered a similar project rather than just drop coin on my XKR, and one of the major things with a swap in an X350 is the CANBUS network. If you're talking the AJ 5.0L, then it'd be double the nightmare because that engine uses the CANBUS network in the X150, so you'd be faced with getting two different cars to communicate. Short of going standalone (no stand alone will run a DI engine, afaik), there really is no practical way to make it work.

If you take on a swap in a CANBUS car, expect to lose features the car currently has, regardless of which engine is going in. An X308 would be orders of magnitude more realistic to do a swap in, but why limit yourself to an AJ V8? LS and Coyote engines are more common, much cheaper (at least the LS is), and have massively more aftermarket support than any AJ. Personally, I think a manual would ruin the character of the car, but if you're already stuffing a big dumb pushrod engine in there, why not?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
The short of it is, the engine management systems in these things are so integrated with the rest of the car that unless you're doing a swap to an engine that was never offered in there, there is absolutely no point in doing it.
When I had my '11 XJL Supercharged, I asked the dealer if they could flash the ECU to the Supersport tune and get my engine from the stock Supercharged 470hp to the stock Supersport 510hp. They said they wouldn't even attempt it since all of the computer systems are linked and dependent on each other. Apparently you have to independently update each and every electronic system on the vehicle and the chances of doing that with no issues are pretty slim.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 PM

The systems are all linked, but think about it- what does the BCM or ABSM care how much power your engine is producing? Additionally, if that really were the case, all these tuners like VelocityAP and Eurowhatever wouldn't be able to offer the tunes they do. The real answer is Jaguar is in the business of selling cars, not reflashes, because what's the point of spending the extra money for the Supersport if you can just get a Supercharged and have them reflash it? Dealers are pretty steadfast in adhering to the specs that the car came with for both reliability and brand protection and I'd be surprised if you found one willing to do something even as simple as swap out midpipes between an XK and an XKR.

What I meant by integrated is that the ECM receives inputs from various other systems- wheel speed from ABS, yaw, lateral acceleration, and AC system status from the BCM, and transmission status from the TCM- and uses them to determine how far to open the throttle plate, when to fire injectors and spark plugs, and where to phase the cams. Because these systems all run on a CANBUS network, you can't just cut and splice into a different car.

Now, going back to the original question, I believe it would be possible to swap a 4.2L SC'd engine in place of the NA variant, likewise with the 5.0L. However, because the 5.0L is direct injection, I don't see any cross compatibility between the two different displacements. My question for someone seriously considering this would be- do you want to spend most of your time with the car working on it, or driving it? Because if you want to drive it, just sell what you have and buy what you want.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Mandrake how much power would I get by adding a turbo to the tailpipe. Before you laugh. The turbo would be fed by a miniature jet turbine.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Don't be silly, Q&C. Your best option is to aerate the gas as you fill your tank. Bring a 5 gallon can with you, fill it up half way, shake it really good, then pour it in the tank and repeat. The air bubbles will bring more air to your engine, acting like a supercharger. As an added benefit, the air bubbles will make the gas lighter which improves everything.

The real issue, though, is that these are British cars so everything is measured in metrique, and I'll admit... it's difficult to find metrique gasonline here in the states, as we're still on the imperial system of measure.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Your idea has a flaw. If you add air to the gasoline (even if you could) the combustion would occur in the fuel injector.

Mine pulls a vacuum on the engine, which helps exhaust and the intake. Plus it does not interfere with flow should the turbine engine fail to start.
https://sites.google.com/site/jetcen...urbines/bee-ii

Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM

I think if you went with the turboprop version (I'm a Jetcat fan, myself) driving an electric generator, you could use that to power electric motors in the front hubs, augmenting engine output.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Whats wrong with running your motor from lifepo4 cells in the boot.
Why not put your electric motor in the boot too and add second driveshaft to diff