XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Praise of the XK

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Interior Praise of the XK

As I was sitting in my car this morning, I could not help but admire just how well the designer[s] executed the interior of the XK. To begin with, it is refreshingly devoid of those ugly micro buttons and switches that other car makers overuse. This leaves the front and center console wide open which allows the beautiful veneer wood to flow uninterrupted vertically and horizontally.

Next is the touch screen which is properly positioned front and center. I think Jaguar did a fabulous job integrating it right into the dash. I also appreciate the simplicity of the touch screen, and I find it much easier to use than most 2015+ newer cars. I have sat in other 'cough..cough' German and Japanese cars where the screen looks like it was bolted right smack on top of the dash with no sense of aesthetics whatsoever. It looked more like an afterthought.

Next, the start button is located exactly right where it should be. Other car makers put it where the key used to go or somewhere behind the wiper stalk making t very annoying to find. And finally, the passenger airbag is handsomely stitched under the dash so well that you do not even know that an airbag is even there. Excellent job Jaguar. I also appreciate that the dash is not 'layered' with overly busy multi-tier levels and strangely shaped door panels.

Overall I give this interior a two thumbs up! The overall quality and layout is top notch and it will always look refreshing and timeless with just the right blend of the old world and the new. We may never see another dash like that again as far as designs go. Enjoy it while you can.

Attached is a pic of an interior that has everything that I do not like.

Attached Thumbnails Interior Praise of the XK-14-07-06-lexus-interior-nx-metal.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelodonnell123:
elindo (10-06-2016), ralphwg (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

I also don't like the trend of these screens popping out of the dash.

While I also like the clean look, tactile buttons are better than a touch screen in many cases. In this day in age, it would be nice to have a row of nice big buttons that are user configurable... One example I can think of is the ventilated seats, which I have to turn on by touch screen each time I get in the car.

My only other complaint is that the "info center" between the gauges is a wasted opportunity. Give me a configurable digital gauge package (oil pressure and coolant temp?) there instead of a picture of my open doors.

I agree that too many buttons can be bad...

Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
As I was sitting in my car this morning, I could not help but admire just how well the designer[s] executed the interior of the XK. To begin with, it is refreshingly devoid of those ugly micro buttons and switches that other car makers overuse. This leaves the front and center console wide open which allows the beautiful veneer wood to flow uninterrupted vertically and horizontally.

Next is the touch screen which is properly positioned front and center. I think Jaguar did a fabulous job integrating it right into the dash. I also appreciate the simplicity of the touch screen, and I find it much easier to use than most 2015+ newer cars. I have sat in other 'cough..cough' German and Japanese cars where the screen looks like it was bolted right smack on top of the dash with no sense of aesthetics whatsoever. It looked more like an afterthought.

Next, the start button is located exactly right where it should be. Other car makers put it where the key used to go or somewhere behind the wiper stalk making t very annoying to find. And finally, the passenger airbag is handsomely stitched under the dash so well that you do not even know that an airbag is even there. Excellent job Jaguar. I also appreciate that the dash is not 'layered' with overly busy multi-tier levels and strangely shaped door panels.

Overall I give this interior a two thumbs up! The overall quality and layout is top notch and it will always look refreshing and timeless with just the right blend of the old world and the new. We may never see another dash like that again as far as designs go. Enjoy it while you can.

Attached is a pic of an interior that has everything that I do not like.
I agree with you 100%. Simple elegance.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanU

My only other complaint is that the "info center" between the gauges is a wasted opportunity. Give me a configurable digital gauge package (oil pressure and coolant temp?) there instead of a picture of my open doors.
YES! I can't believe there are not active gauges for these!

I also agree with the overall interior design comments. It is beautiful and functional and beautiful. Oh, and it looks great . I particularly like the simplicity of the cruise control.

At first, I didn't like the shift "knob" (in my 2010) as I like to place my right hand on the shifter knob while driving, but I'm getting used to it and it looks much sleeker without the shifter there....

Old 10-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by shemp
At first, I didn't like the shift "knob" (in my 2010) as I like to place my right hand on the shifter knob while driving, but I'm getting used to it and it looks much sleeker without the shifter there....

While I certainly do appreciate the rotary knob...

Attached Thumbnails Interior Praise of the XK-126018d1456436508-burl-walnut-shift-knob-beautiful-workmanship-jagknob.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jag has done at keeping it clean, but offering the technology the market demands.

I am digging the head's up display in my XE.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

[QUOTE=michaelodonnell123;1547236]As I was sitting in my car this morning, I could not help but admire just how well the designer[s] executed the interior of the XK. To begin with, it is refreshingly devoid of those ugly micro buttons and switches that other car makers overuse. This leaves the front and center console wide open which allows the beautiful veneer wood to flow uninterrupted vertically and horizontally. .....

I agree completely...but Jaguar have always been known for their beautiful interiors - there is some intangible element in the design and materials that makes the owner smile; there is no other marque that offers the "feel good" experience of a Jaguar - and then there is the fact that every Jaguar owner feels the urge to look back at his/her beautiful machine after parking it. In comparison, a Maserati or even the lovely Aston Martin has an interior that appears to have been designed and put together by a committee that can't quite agree on anything.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

The problem with putting so much behind the touch screen, is the touch screen is *really* *really slow.

Would of been nice to have the auto button double as a climate control off if it was already in auto mode.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Would of been nice to have the auto button double as a climate control off if it was already in auto mode.
Yes!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

The problem with putting so much behind the touch screen, is the touch screen is *really* *really slow.

Another ABSOLUTELY!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

After two XK8's (2001 and 2005), I prefer the interior design of the XK.

The only thing I didn't like was mine originally had aluminium on the dash and console. If this had been solid machined aluminium like a Bentley it would be OK but it's a cheap thin pressing. I changed it for poplar veneer.

Graham

Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 AM

Not sure why your touch screen is *really* slow. Mine seems to be as quick as the 2016 new Range Rover I drove last week. Anybody else here finds that there touch screen is slow?

Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Not sure why your touch screen is *really* slow. Mine seems to be as quick as the 2016 new Range Rover I drove last week. Anybody else here finds that there touch screen is slow?
I think the touch screen being slow is based on having to go back to the home screen in order to get to other screens. I had a hard time adjusting to the way it works but don't have to much of a problem now. Unlike my Lexus system which has press buttons next to the screen which has all of the same features. So as I said with the Jag I need to go to the home screen to get to any of the other features where with the Lexus I just press the button of the feature I want. Also when I go to the Nav. screen it asks me to "I Agree" before it goes into the screen where the Lexus Nav. is preset to come up on start. It's just a matter of what you are used to or what you like.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I think the touch screen being slow is based on having to go back to the home screen in order to get to other screens. I had a hard time adjusting to the way it works but don't have to much of a problem now. Unlike my Lexus system which has press buttons next to the screen which has all of the same features. So as I said with the Jag I need to go to the home screen to get to any of the other features where with the Lexus I just press the button of the feature I want. Also when I go to the Nav. screen it asks me to "I Agree" before it goes into the screen where the Lexus Nav. is preset to come up on start. It's just a matter of what you are used to or what you like.
Many here over the years have commented on how much they dislike the touch screen for various reasons. I buy/lease 2-3 new cars every year and have had many different touch/infotainment screens. The XK screen is a little slow compared to some, for example Mercedes or even the X350, but I think this is partly due to the unnecessary animation transitions. However I have found many newer cars still lack in certain tech features, have clunky or even difficult to navigate screens and pages of menus. I still appreciate the simplicity and straightforwardness of the X150.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I would never purchase an automobile based upon how good or bad the touch screen "infotainment" system is, PERIOD! I buy cars for how they look, perform, drive, luxury, and comfort. However, I also find the XK system slow and cumbersome. It's an annoyance that you have to switch screens in order to change radio stations or go to a CD. It's stupid that you can't turn off the A/C or heater without flipping through several steps, and finally, have any of you answered "No" when asked whether or not you agree to the terms of using the navigation system? It's just dumb obviously included to alleviate Jaguar from some kind of liability. Having said all that, I still consider my XKR to be one of the finest cars I have ever owned. Is there room for improvement, of course.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
...................... It's an annoyance that you have to switch screens in order to change radio stations or go to a CD..................
OR, you could use the Steering Wheel controls to do this.

elindo (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I would never purchase an automobile based upon how good or bad the touch screen "infotainment" system is, PERIOD! I buy cars for how they look, perform, drive, luxury, and comfort.
I have to say that the infotainment is a big factor for me. It was the only reason that I bought a new V6 S instead of a year old R (which would have had the older infotainment system in it). It was also one of the reasons why I didn't pursue a used DB9. Annoying systems really grind my gears and I dont need more reasons to change cars frequently. So I suppose that it isnt a reason why I buy a car, but it can be a reason why I dont.

That said I thought that the infotainment in the XKR was pretty good to use, save for the stereo which I thought was dreadful for the style of music I listen to.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Yes, the interior is nice looking but regardless (not to be redundant) there is absolutely no excuse for NO TEMPERATURE GAUGE. The biggest turnoff for me since I've owned my car......and for a good reason since there have been so many overheating issues. No excuses for a 100,000 dollar car.

elindo (10-13-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Even in the new models with a gauge I read somewhere that it isnt a true temperature gauge - it just climbs to the middle and sits there unless there is a problem, essentially like having a fuel gauge that sat on half full unless the car was full or empty.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I seem to recall the XK8 X100 series cars have fake instruments. I believe there is a kit out to convert them to read actual numbers. As for the newer cars I do believe they are actual reads but if someone has an F-type and a torque pro maybe they can verify if the WT gauge is taking a true reading.

Quick Reply: Interior Praise of the XK