XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Issue with OBD dongle triggering TPMS fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Issue with OBD dongle triggering TPMS fault

I recently replaced my TPMS and cleared the codes. Drove for awhile and received the Tire pressure system fault. The codes that were thrown are no communication with LF and RF tires.

I reset once again using SDD and drove about 30 miles and no codes. Woo hoo. Then I plugged in the BT dongle which was a Panlong mini. 20 minutes later, the message appeared. Hmmm. So I've been doing this for some time to eliminate coincidence, approximately 10 times.

So I pulled over, shut off the car, removed the dongle and started to drive. Within 5 minutes, the warnings cleared.

I purchased a BAFX dongle with the ELM327 chip. I drove for about an hour this morning and the warnings came back. Before leaving the golf shop, I pulled it and within a few minutes the codes cleared. I returned home, plugged it in and it threw the codes again. Shut off the car, unplugged it, code cleared itself.

I'm at a loss. I don't know what could be triggering this as the TPMS are running on a distinct 315mhz frequency. I can't find any information. Many of you use the Torque Pro app too.

Thoughts, ideas?

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Doesn't seem at all common so I suppose it's an issue with the specific tool and/or car. You could buy a different elm327 cheaply and see if it happens to be OK. Use different software for it, too.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Try a wifi version and report back.

Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

That is a strange problem.

If the BT dongle is interfering with the CAN BUS I would expect a LOT more problems than the same two specific codes being thrown.

Bluetooth frequency is 2.4 to 2.485 GHz so it should not interfere with the 315 Mhz TPMS. I have an OBD/BT ELM327 interface and it works fine with my Jags.

I would try powering the BT module with a different power connection and see if you have similar problems when it is not plugged in to the OBD connector. I think pin 16 is 12V and pin 4 is ground. Don't trust me on that - CHECK the connector with a volt meter first.

If you still have a problem then your dongle is probably emitting something that interferes with the 315 Mhz TPMS signal. If you don't have interference with it powered and no connection to OBD port it is probably NOT any internal oscillators interfering with the 315 Mhz TPMS signal and is something interfering with CAN BUS signals. Either way, you are probably not going to fix the dongle.

Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Yep, smells like the dongle transmitter is dirty and transmitting on several different frequencies. You can also try and plug and play code reader to isolate the OBDii port or whatever powers that port.

Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought bad dongle as well but, I've already replaced the dongle with another.

Prior to the changing of the TPMS sensors, no issues. But the New VDO 53001 models don't seem to get along.

I run the software (Torque Pro) on an Android media streamer. No hardware in that box operates @ 315 mhz and it's been operating fine as well until the TPMS replacements. So since my last writing I simply turn off the media box while driving and the codes clear. That doesn't mean much by itself, because it just stops the BT dongle from transmitting.

I'll try loading the software to my phone and see if it trips the error. That would potentially eliminate the android box. If so -

JagV8, I'll try downloading different software to both phone and box.

Q&C - can you elaborate on the rationale for switching to a wifi dongle? I'm interested but would like to know more about how it could help as both wifi and BT output is @ or close to 2.4ghz.

Any other input I missed or ideas are appreciated.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It seems the replaced TPMS sensors are the problem. That being the case why not just replace them with OEM.

Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It seems the replaced TPMS sensors are the problem. That being the case why not just replace them with OEM.
Thought about it Jagtoes, thanks. That said, countless folks on this forum and the other Jag forums have used Sieman's without issue. Had them checked and they are transmitting properly as are the rears. If the sensors were bad, they would be bad on all 4.
I had them checked with the error code thrown. TPMS is not the issue imo but thanks for the idea.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Seems likely something is transmitting in a way not designed.

The WiFi one would use different frequencies so may work.

Or maybe try an OBD extension cable then you can try different positions of the actual dongle and see if any is worse/better. If so, you know it relates to it and may even find a position that is fine.

Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Thought about it Jagtoes, thanks. That said, countless folks on this forum and the other Jag forums have used Sieman's without issue. Had them checked and they are transmitting properly as are the rears. If the sensors were bad, they would be bad on all 4.
I had them checked with the error code thrown. TPMS is not the issue imo but thanks for the idea.
OK I'll back up here for a minute. You didn't have this problem with the dongle before you replaced all 4 of your TPMS sensors , is that correct. If so did you have the OEM sensors prior to this change. So my logic was just that it was OK with the OEM's but not OK with the aftermarket brand although others have said they had no problems. Than again have others had the same brand dongle or another brand. If so what brand dongle has worked with your new sensors. My logic says either replace the dongle with one that others say work with your sensors or replace the TPMS sensors with OEM brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
ralphwg (07-01-2017), Sean W (07-01-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Closing this thread. Issue is resolved. The Receiver was failing but had not failed completely so the front wheel error codes threw but not the rears.

I followed the tests in the service manual and all readings at each connection were within spec, and it kept pointing to the receiver (with the exception of the rear sensor error codes not triggering). FYI, there's no specific test for the receiver itself provided in the manual.

On 7/6 I connected SDD and to my surprise the final two wheels tripped error codes, so I had all four codes showing.

I'd already ordered a used receiver from an XF so it came a day later, I connected and the error codes have not returned. Install was on 7/7.

I've concluded that the dongle wasn't the issue, but could have contributed some electronic interference to an already failing TPMS receiver. I have no other way to explain the TPMS warnings going on and off in conjunction with pulling the dongle at a minimum of 10 times.

I also have no proof that a receiver can slowly fail vs. it either works or doesn't, but it's the only conclusion I can reach that ties to the delay of triggering the rear wheel error codes. Of course, the delay could be system software related too.

Anyhoo, problem solved. Used receiver $40 delivered. Thanks to all for your feedback and help.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

RF noise can do strange things... Good that you got it sorted out.

Sean W (07-26-2017)