XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar Intensive You Tube Repair Channel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
How to use SDD. I do use SDD for the occasional DTC check and health of my XKR. It has always been in 'monitoring' mode though, never had the guts to modify features, etc. There are some training material about how to use SDD but they won't cater for relative novices and it's hard to come by demos about how to, for example, program keys, enable features, etc, so a walk-through these would be most helpful.
Honestly I think this is not a good idea...

Firstly I feel there's a pretty good chance JLR will object to it and ask for the video to be taken down, so you could waste a lot of time making a video that you'd be unable to keep online. You have to remember that 95% of the people outside of JLR dealerships who have SDD have an illegal pirated version, with clone interfaces. I don't think such an active promotion of SDD in that sense will be taken lightly.

Secondly there are dozens and dozens of horror stories on this and other forums, where people have bricked their cars using SDD. And it's not always because they did something wrong, but because they used crap $50 knockoffs with hacked software. If you made a video showing someone how to use SDD, and they bricked their car following your instructions, is that gonna come back & bite you? Yeah probably...

Programming keys? aka how to steal someones car by programming new keys to it? That's not going to go down well either... not to mention that programming keys for an X150 properly so they work in the slot in the armrest is not a straight forward thing...

I'm not against making some sort of educational or informative piece on the various diagnostic systems for these cars. I mean i've already explained a lot here on this forum over the years, but there is a fine line you have to walk on this subject...

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Who knows, maybe even a teamviewer session which essentially gives you the facility to do remote programming!
Well actually this something I already do, as do several other people.

However our golden rule is we will NOT do any work on a car with a clone interface or a hacked version of SDD. Too many things can go wrong, I know this from first hand experience.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
First one I would do is the air conditioning duck bill. Great idea!!
+1

Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

LOVE this idea! Thoughts:

Start with a couple of things that might seem too basic for a lot of users here-- oil changes, programming issues, etc (as an example, there's a thread on here for resetting the "service required" indicator-- the technique explained works for some owners, others not. I'm sure seeing a short video would clear it up for everyone). Start basic, you get HITS. Even the people who know the procedure will be curious to watch you do it. (And the short ones are MUCH easier to shoot....) There's some yahoo on youtube who's close to 100,000 hits on resettiing the door locks on a Honda with your key fob.

If you put enough up, I for one would pay a little to "subscribe." Sounds like this is a labor of love and not a profit point, but still. Your expertise is worth a few bucks.

If you're in LA, I'd be happy to help. (With the shooting, not the repair. I'll leave that to the experts...)

Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Ahhhh, I just saw you're in Ohio. NEver mind...

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

The consensus is overwhelming, YES! Many different ways to drive a revenue stream from doing this...Looking forward to this.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
First one I would do is the air conditioning duck bill. Great idea!!
I agree, this would be excellent but do it on an XKR, that's the tough one.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

This is one thing I always loved about the BMW community anything on maintenance you can find either a step by step video or printed instructions on a ton of DIY stuff. Simple stuff from changing a sensor to doing a automatic to manual transmission swap.
Example:

https://youtu.be/XVO6Z5ShsOs

I would LOVE a YouTube channel dedicated to the Jaguar marque with DIYs!!

Last edited by makecopies; 01-23-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 01-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

This channel will include all makes and models... its gonna to be something as long as they get the cars to work on!

Loth

Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

An idea whose time has come! Haven't seen any posts from you in a while, good to have you back!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by makecopies
This is one thing I always loved about the BMW community anything on maintenance you can find either a step by step video or printed instructions on a ton of DIY stuff. Simple stuff from changing a sensor to doing a automatic to manual transmission swap.
^^^^ This

Someone said earlier that the jaguar crowd was one of the most active at DIY, but they have probably never been involved in BMW groups. Lots of those guys track their car the DIY sections on their forums are huge and thorough. When I had a 335 I could find a thread loaded with pics or a video on absolutely anything I tried to do. All I could find in my XK when I went to rebuild the suspension was a training manual that showed what was new on the X150 vs the X100.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Honestly I think this is not a good idea...

Firstly I feel there's a pretty good chance JLR will object to it and ask for the video to be taken down, so you could waste a lot of time making a video that you'd be unable to keep online. You have to remember that 95% of the people outside of JLR dealerships who have SDD have an illegal pirated version, with clone interfaces. I don't think such an active promotion of SDD in that sense will be taken lightly.

Secondly there are dozens and dozens of horror stories on this and other forums, where people have bricked their cars using SDD. And it's not always because they did something wrong, but because they used crap $50 knockoffs with hacked software. If you made a video showing someone how to use SDD, and they bricked their car following your instructions, is that gonna come back & bite you? Yeah probably...

Programming keys? aka how to steal someones car by programming new keys to it? That's not going to go down well either... not to mention that programming keys for an X150 properly so they work in the slot in the armrest is not a straight forward thing...

I'm not against making some sort of educational or informative piece on the various diagnostic systems for these cars. I mean i've already explained a lot here on this forum over the years, but there is a fine line you have to walk on this subject...

Well actually this something I already do, as do several other people.

However our golden rule is we will NOT do any work on a car with a clone interface or a hacked version of SDD. Too many things can go wrong, I know this from first hand experience.
So do people who have the workshop manual; I'm pretty sure most of them are unauthorised copies; however parts of this manual is all over this forum. I don't think one can ignore the electronic/IT side with a vehicle as complex as the X150 (or indeed any modern car).

Not everyone has hacked software and crap clones, and surely it's up to them to be aware of the risks. It might be quite informative to explain how to 'unbrick' a car

I'm quite sure those that want to program keys to steal their neighbours XK will go to darker web locations than this one

Ok, you can remove SDD from the list, but please add 'Changing fuel filter'.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great Idea! Please do it.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please do this!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent project. Will you be accepting donations to support the activities?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Great idea Lothar,
Might I suggest the crossover pipe on the 5.0 when you do the water pump. Thermostat housing on the 4.2, fuel filter and air filter changes on both the 5.0 & 4.2, Valley hoses on the SC and NA 4.2 and 5.0. Heater aux pump, and octopus hoses on the 4.2. Throttle body on the 4.2.
Sorry, I think I just got a little carried away.
Regards,

Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Basic service items, done in the best order in the way most of us would have to gain access to items on our drives (i.e. no access to workshop ramps/lifts)would be great please.

Thanks,

Mike.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome idea for us DIYers.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please do it!!!

PLEASE Do IT!!! There is ALOT of XK8 (96-06) on YouTube but I can find NOTHING on X150's

Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i love the idea, very helpful!

just FYI there is already something similar out there: https://www.carcarekiosk.com/videos/Jaguar/XF/2009