XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Jaguar Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan

Anyone have first hand experience with the Jaguar Land Rover vehicle protection plan? Sold at the dealership, and promoted with the JLR logos on the brochures and declaration page, the administrator of the agreement is actually United Service Protection Corp (which is part of Assurant Solutions). It adds 72 months or 75000 miles from date of purchase (the car must still be under factory warranty to qualify for coverage purchase) with $100 deductible (which is waived if repairs are performed at JLR dealer instead of indy shop).

Not asking if the price of the service agreement is worth it or not, but rather, I want to hear from people who have used the warranty and their success or fail stories.

Thank you

Last edited by supercat'dXKR; 07-05-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Had it only because it was transferred to me from the original owner so cost was not the issue. Good: had abnormal wear on the front tires and they replaced the upper bushings at no charge ($700 bill). Bad: too many things are not covered. There always seems to be an additional charge. They probably paid out about $1500 over 2 years. Make sure you get a free loaner car as it takes about a day for the dealer to get approval on any repairs.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
Anyone have first hand experience with the Jaguar Land Rover vehicle protection plan? Sold at the dealership, and promoted with the JLR logos on the brochures and declaration page, the administrator of the agreement is actually United Service Protection Corp (which is part of Assurant Solutions). It adds 72 months or 75000 miles from date of purchase (the car must still be under factory warranty to qualify for coverage purchase) with $100 deductible (which is waived if repairs are performed at JLR dealer instead of indy shop).

Not asking if the price of the service agreement is worth it or not, but rather, I want to hear from people who have used the warranty and their success or fail stories.

Thank you
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN

Please look up "The Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan Experience" I believe... i will bump it for your reading pleasure...

Paid 4300 dollars for mine...4 yrs/100,000 miles and not everything was covered when it should have been. Solenoid and wiring harness corroded causing a "Check Engine" light. Both are listed as covered items but yet of my around 600 dollar bill only 350 of it was covered. Never got an explanation WHY just that THATS ALL THEY WILL PAY.

Put 4300 in the bank and pay for the repairs yourself unless you think you got a lemon and the engine is going to explode.....

Last edited by Lothar52; 07-06-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC
Had it only because it was transferred to me from the original owner so cost was not the issue. Good: had abnormal wear on the front tires and they replaced the upper bushings at no charge ($700 bill). Bad: too many things are not covered. There always seems to be an additional charge. They probably paid out about $1500 over 2 years. Make sure you get a free loaner car as it takes about a day for the dealer to get approval on any repairs.
Did you have the repairs done at Jag dealer? Did they explain why it wasnt fully covered? seems shady.

Originally Posted by Lothar52
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN

Please look up "The Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan Experience" I believe... i will bump it for your reading pleasure...

Paid 4300 dollars for mine...4 yrs/100,000 miles and not everything was covered when it should have been. Solenoid and wiring harness corroded causing a "Check Engine" light. Both are listed as covered items but yet of my around 600 dollar bill only 350 of it was covered. Never got an explanation WHY just that THATS ALL THEY WILL PAY.

Put 4300 in the bank and pay for the repairs yourself unless you think you got a lemon and the engine is going to explode.....
Is there a claim limit to the coverage? As in, do they only cover up to $X amount in repairs?

The following users liked this post:
Rogerj (07-15-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 10:26 AM

any other comments/reviews/experience?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

My comments apply to any after market warranty or extended protection. Rule of thumb, the house always wins. I used to work for a carrier that sold after market policies. it was the most profitable segment of our business.

They wouldn't sell them if they weren't highly profitable.

Many folks buy them and never submit a claim. That's the goal, hope and plan of the insurance carrier.

You can buy a lot a repairs for the price of a policy. Sock it away under your mattress in case you need it.

Also, many people have their claims denied because they don't understand the fundamental difference between a defect and normal wear and tear.

Example - let's say you have an 07 XK with 80k miles on it and you take it in for routine service. Your Mechanic says - "Your control arm bushings are shot, you need to replace them."

You file a claim. Guess what, normal wear and tear. No coverage.

Of course there are cases where you ultimately file a claim and it works out to where you might break even, or come out ahead, but they are the exception

Read the fine print and pay particular attention to what isn't covered. If you have money to burn and you need assurance, hey it's your money. Spend it as you choose.

Another example - my wife bought a cadillac SRX and the dealer sold her a wheel warranty. She told my wife that if anything happens to those wheels ($2k per wheel btw), they would be replaced.

I read the warranty and that's not even remotely true. The damage would only be covered if the wheel struck an object in the road and you needed proof of what you hit. It didn't cover potholes or curb rash which are the two things she would most likely need coverage for. Now that I've relived that, I'm pissed again....

Lastly if it were me and I had $2k - $4k extra to spend, I would increase my price point via either model year or condition.

This forum calls out nearly all known defects, issues and concerns. Research this site and list them all on paper. Only pursue a car that has a full history. Look in that history for the known defects. If they haven't been addressed, set a side the cash to address them if you choose to move forward with your purchase. In the end, it's just research and math.

Last edited by Sean W; 07-13-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I can only contrast what Sean says with my experiences. Everyone will have different insight based on their history, mine has been mixed. I think that a plan makes sense for certain cars, I know that on my previous BMW 650 a lot of people had them as the failure rate for major items was very high on those cars. I am surprised insurance companies covered that vehicle as high-end BMW's are a percentage loser for a extended coverage company. On my BMW I had the following paid claims in 6 years:

Tires/rims - $10,050 in covered claims
Mechanical - $ 2,530 in covered claims

I bought an extended protection plan (I don't call them warranties since they are not that!) for a previous Porsche 16 years ago. It was a well respected company that I researched and others had used. Three months after I bought the $2500 plan the company went belly up. I immediately filed a claim on my credit card and recouped all my money minus a prorated coverage time of 3 months. Those that paid cash or did not file a CC claim were screwed and only got a smidgen of their money back several years later after the bankruptcy settled.

Much later I had a BMW 650, I bought an IAS Wheel Protection plan for around $1200, it was a comprehensive 5 year plan. Since the BMW has Runflats they are $450 per tire, they cannot be plugged or patched (they can but they don't for liability reasons). I also had the better factory rims which were forged, cost is $1200 each. During the 5 year period I replaced 9 tires and 5 rims, including pothole damage, and was fully covered. If the tire is lower than a 3/32 tread it is not eligible for coverage, by the way that is really low tread! The exclusion list does have curb as a non-covered event, but I would have to be stupid to say it was damaged due to a curb...

Later in my ownership I purchased a mechanical coverage underwritten by Mercury Insurance, paid $2800 for a 2 year plan, cancelled it in the second year as I traded the car and was refunded $950. In the first year I had claims accepted and paid for: Tranny pan leak ($280), new upper/lower control arm replacement ($600), new alternator ($1200), and because the alternator failed and they deemed it was linked the alternator a new battery ($450). I also had some denied items that I felt should have been covered, it was for a oil leak that they deemed to be a pre-existing condition. I should have waited longer to open that one, not in the first 3 months of the coverage.

Regardless, on my XK I will not get an extended warranty as this car is MUCH more reliable and the regular tires are not prone to failure like the runflats. I will simply self-fund my repairs.

Last edited by tampamark; 07-13-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM

I'm sure most 3rd party service contracts are only as good as the paper they are written on.

Hoping that the JLR plan is legit, since they advertise it more or less as a factory extended warranty (although its administrator is United Service Protection Corp / Assurant Solutions)

Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have a friend with BMW's and he has the tire/rim plan. For whatever reason, the dealership is saying "cracked another rim", and has made out like a bandit on the policy. I question whether he actually cracked a rim or if the dealer is just soaking the insurer?

I had a respected aftermarket warranty on my Vanden Plas and about broke even on it.

So, if I had a BMW with run-flat's, I'd consider that one, but other than that I would rather keep the money in my pocket. On our Volvo lease, we did opt for a free wiper replacement and brake pad/rotor warranty. Free wiper blades and no expense if we do need brakes before the lease ends. Was like $150 and already on the 2nd pair of wiper blades ;-). Probably go through 4 sets before we return the car.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I have a friend with BMW's and he has the tire/rim plan. For whatever reason, the dealership is saying "cracked another rim", and has made out like a bandit on the policy. I question whether he actually cracked a rim or if the dealer is just soaking the insurer?
The normal rims on most BMW's are pressure cast and are prone to cracking so no surprise if so, I had the forged M rims. They still got munched though!

99% of the time the rim was sent in directly from the provider of the wheel insurance so the dealer only received an install fee. Tires they got full price on though!

Think this would have buffed out?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

BMW = Bend My Wheel! Ouch!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Rogerj (07-15-2016), tampamark (07-14-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Copy of Agreement

For anyone interested, I attached the copy of my Agreement for the plan. I purchased a 4/25 extended while still under the original warranty for $2800. I've considered getting a refund for the prorated balance, but I will probably keep it to sweeten the deal when I sell my car.

Interesting section about overheating... if your car overheats because of the thermostat, and you warp the heads... the thermostat is covered... but no other damage will be. It seems they have set themselves up nicely to deny coverage ( see the section about having all service documentation, and not relying on dealer for info).

Sean

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jaguar_protection_plan.pdf (3.30 MB, 209 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by SeanU:
Rogerj (07-15-2016), Sean W (07-15-2016), supercat'dXKR (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SeanU
For anyone interested, I attached the copy of my Agreement for the plan. I purchased a 4/25 extended while still under the original warranty for $2800. I've considered getting a refund for the prorated balance, but I will probably keep it to sweeten the deal when I sell my car.

Interesting section about overheating... if your car overheats because of the thermostat, and you warp the heads... the thermostat is covered... but no other damage will be. It seems they have set themselves up nicely to deny coverage ( see the section about having all service documentation, and not relying on dealer for info).

Sean
thanks for posting the plan provisions

have you used the plan yet?

The following users liked this post:
Rogerj (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
thanks for posting the plan provisions

have you used the plan yet?
Not yet.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Very kind of them to cover the $56 thermostat while they stick you for $3000+ for the head gasket! They are all heart...

07 2007 Jaguar XK Thermostat - Cooling System - Genuine - PartsGeek