XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XK Loose seatbelts

Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XK Loose seatbelts

Hey guys,

I bought a 2010 XK recently and have noticed an issue with the seatbelts. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing (and if this is normal or not).

When I am driving, if I pull the seatbelt chest harness out, it retracts very slowly. Sometimes, it does not retract at all leaving a stretched out seatbelt in my lap. If I push the button in on the seatbelt as if I were taking it off, the shoulder harness retracts quickly and resumes tension. It seems to me that the seatbelt should always have tension on it. As it stands right now, this seems to be a big safety issue since if the belt is not retracted when driving, it will not effectively restrain me in an accident.

Can someone else check this out in your XK to see if this is normal or not? Not sure if there is an adjustment the dealer can do or not.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Not sure with your year XK, but Jag has what they call ARTS (Advanced Restraint Technology System). This is obviously an electronic controlled seat-belt pretensioner system that may allow for a comfortable fit yet instantly tighten in an accident.

Others with your car can give you something better than my guess....

BOL
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-16-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Mine doesn't have the problem of not tightening when driving, but it will not retract (or will do it slowly with help) when I take it off. If you find the solution, let me know!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cfioretti
Hey guys,

I bought a 2010 XK recently and have noticed an issue with the seatbelts. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing (and if this is normal or not).

When I am driving, if I pull the seatbelt chest harness out, it retracts very slowly. Sometimes, it does not retract at all leaving a stretched out seatbelt in my lap. If I push the button in on the seatbelt as if I were taking it off, the shoulder harness retracts quickly and resumes tension. It seems to me that the seatbelt should always have tension on it. As it stands right now, this seems to be a big safety issue since if the belt is not retracted when driving, it will not effectively restrain me in an accident.

Can someone else check this out in your XK to see if this is normal or not? Not sure if there is an adjustment the dealer can do or not.

Thanks,
Chris
My seatbelt always retracks when I pull it out, as when I am just getting in the car and am pulling it out to put it on. Sometimes I pull on the belt while I am driving to re-position it to be more comfortable...the belt always pulls back in. The tension is always there, although not uncomfortably tense. When I release the belt from the buckle it pulls back in with the same tension. If I yank on the belt or move forward rapidly the belt stops (as you would expect it to do) and prevents me from moving forward.

The spring mechanism which puts tension on your belt may be worn, or may need adjustment.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, rscultho.

I took my car to the dealer to get inspected today and I had the manager take a look at my seatbelt. After foolling around with it a bit, he agreed to order me a new seatbelt under warranty! The part will be here next week. I will keep you posted if this fixes the issue.

The tension on the belt I experience if I pull it out and let it retract while driving is much less than what I feel when I undo the seatbelt or use it with the engine turned off. In fact, when I pull it forward while driving, sometimes I cannot get it to feed back into the shoulder casing at all. I am forced to take off the seatbelt to retract the strap and put the seatbelt on again to experience a comfortable fit.