XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Are JLR Dealers Going Away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,087 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans Amstein
And of note, I am (well, feel?) still not old. I bought my first Jag in my mid-30s, when everyone was talking about Jaguar declining with its customer base growing old.

But maybe I have grown old, indeed.
Jaguar and Cadillac both made the same mistake I think. They failed to realize that people's desires and indeed, NEEDS, do change as we grow older. To me, it is ironic that when I was young, I was modified my sports cars suspension for autocross racing because they didn't come stiff enough out of the factory. Then as an old man, I modified my luxury sedan's suspension for comfort because some kid decided that all luxury sedans had to be "sport" sedans and now they all come race-prepared right out of the factory. When I was young, I would have bought something like an F-type except that I couldn't afford one. Today I could afford one, but I might couldn't tolerate to drive more than 30 minutes in one. They should have gone with the model of making little sports cars or at least a 2-door sporty car well under $50K for young single professionals, a couple of sizes of SUV and mid-sized sedan somewhat more expensive for the mid-level manager with a family, a grand-tourer for the just retired and a luxo-barge for the senior citizen with plenty of money and plenty more aches and pains.

Last edited by pdupler; 04-01-2023 at 09:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pdupler:
Bill400 (04-02-2023), ralphwg (04-06-2023), Stuart S (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 08:05 PM
Received 292 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer

As for reputation and reliability, based on my experience they were truly exceptional under Ford and once sold to Tata, quality and reliability became their downfall.

+1: Agree! I was a lifelong GM fan when I came to truely respect FORD through Jaguar!

And I don't believe there's a long term future in EV, for many reasons nor do I believe there's one for the combustion engine, at least in mass produced transportation.
So, we all move into cities and use public transportation?

The following users liked this post:
rickr (12-13-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 08:08 PM
Received 292 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Jaguar and Cadillac both made the same mistake I think. They failed to realize that people's desires and indeed, NEEDS, do change as we grow older. To me, it is ironic that when I was young, I was modified my sports cars suspension for autocross racing because they didn't come stiff enough out of the factory. Then as an old man, I modified my luxury sedan's suspension for comfort because some kid decided that all luxury sedans had to be "sport" sedans and now they all come race-prepared right out of the factory. When I was young, I would have bought something like an F-type except that I couldn't afford one. Today I could afford one, but I might couldn't tolerate to drive more than 30 minutes in one. They should have gone with the model of making little sports cars or at least a 2-door sporty car well under $50K for young single professionals, a couple of sizes of SUV and mid-sized sedan somewhat more expensive for the mid-level manager with a family, a grand-tourer for the just retired and a luxo-barge for the senior citizen with plenty of money and plenty more aches and pains.
+1: I completely agree!

Old 04-03-2023, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,294 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
So, we all move into cities and use public transportation?
Last I heard, there's more demand than supply for the raw materials required for the batteries, the environmental impact of manufacturing EV batteries surpasses that of combustion engines, they're an insurance write off when damaged in accidents and the serviceable life of an EV's quite significantly shorter than others. Unless these issue's are resolved, and they may, I can't see any long term future in EVs.

The following 6 users liked this post by jahummer:
Bill400 (04-04-2023), bocatrip (04-03-2023), Hans Amstein (04-03-2023), One&Done (04-03-2023), Purdy Jag (04-04-2023), ralphwg (04-06-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Last I heard, there's more demand than supply for the raw materials required for the batteries, the environmental impact of manufacturing EV batteries surpasses that of combustion engines, they're an insurance write off when damaged in accidents and the serviceable life of an EV's quite significantly shorter than others. Unless these issue's are resolved, and they may, I can't see any long term future in EVs.
Toyota is slowing down the pace-roll out of EV's and the they're the most impressive auto manufacturer as a whole IMO.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts

I just heard that Long Island New York JLR dealerships will undergo closures and mergers. We have four dealerships that cover over 200 miles. Two Huntington will close their JLR dealership and move into the newly built facility about 15 miles away at the site of their sister dealership in Glen Cove, NY. The other sister dealership in the Hamptons is supposed to close but I don't know if they are closing both Jag and LR. The other JLR dealership they are saying will close the Jag portion and keep the LR. Things are dire for Jag in terms of sales. They only sell on Jag for every 10 LR sold and of course their product lineup has not improved in 5 years, 3 CEOs and the announcement of going ALL electric. In upstate New York, JLR closed ALL dealership except Rochester and Albany. So no dealership in Buffalo or Syracuse. If your car breaks down you must get it towed minimum of 75 miles to Rochester. this sounds like the end of Jag. It is over 200 miles from Rochester to Albany. I would like to see Jaguar get sold to a company with money that has a passion for building cars. Jag has lost it's way.

Old 04-09-2023, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,087 Likes on 687 Posts

Supposedly if your Jaguar is still under warranty, the nearest Land Rover dealership is supposed to take care of you. As to out of warranty service, I expect most LR dealership service centers already have all the work they can handle as-is and would refer you to an independent repair shop. And my nearest Jaguar indy was already shorthanded following the pandemic and is scheduling repairs two months out. I expect soon to be three or four months out as everybody who shows up at Autobahn with a check engine light or a squeak discovers that its closed. LR dealers are supposed to still be able to order parts though and of course there's the internet. Those of us who are DIY'ers won't be too inconvenienced, at least not right away.

However, if you intend to keep your Jaguar long-term, plan ahead for what you will need, parts that aren't available in the aftermarket, and ORDER SPARE PARTS NOW! I expect that the last batch of parts that's sitting on warehouse shelves now is the last batch there will ever be. Jaguar isn't going care bout supplying parts for their pre-electric cars, or working-class customers because now we're going to be a drag on their new pursuit of exclusivity. The last thing they want is for somebody in a weathered, old XF pulling up to a stoplight next to a customer who just paid $200,000 or more for their new bespoke "exotic" Jaguar. Heaven forbid some teenage gearhead in a weathered old X-type waves at them or in any way tries to associate upclass. The government already figures the sooner our old Jaguars are off the road the better and now even Jaguar itself has motivation to accelerate their obsolescence. They may even decide that those last few remaining parts aren't worth the storage space they're taking up.

If you are driving a late model Jaguar and are the type who trades up to a new(er) model every few years, NOW is also the time to trade in. I expect most used car buyers are not yet aware that the Jaguar dealer network is contracting, that parts will soon be even far more scarce than they already are and that the indies are backed up for months. But within a year or two, it will be more common knowledge and I expect it will take a deep discount to move a Jaguar off a used car lot full of Mercedes and BMWs (by then the supply chain issues should be worked out and used car values normalized as well). I think I'm going to start looking for a discounted XK coupe next spring.

BlkC4t_XK14 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 9-10 Dealers

With this last reply about Long Island JLR dealers it sure does sound like what I was told about Jaguar changing their customer base is true. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Maserati all have about 9-10 dealers across the U.S. If Jaguar is going to focus on $150,000 plus cars to compete with those brands it looks like the dealer base is moving that direction with the closure of the current dealers. The local Albuquerque dealer says they now will only work on pre-2015 models if they can get the parts. They are referring people to an indy shop in Santa Fe, 55 miles north of Albuquerque. As for the all electric lineup, I think it is a bold, albeit incorrect, roll of the die that they will be the first major auto manufacturer to go all EV.

Car Brands Going All Electric

The following 2 users liked this post by pvxkowner:
BlkC4t_XK14 (04-09-2023), jahummer (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So.Calif. dealers/CPO service

I bought my CPO F-type from JLR Cerritos in March 2022 but took it to my nearby JLR Anaheim Hills a year later for its first comp service. Surprised that no new Jags were for sale there, was told the Anaheim Hills dealership had stopped receiving/selling new ones and would only service Jags going forward. Salesman and service advisor were uncertain whether new-Jag sales might resume upon all-electric debuts. Co-brand J/LR signage is unchanged in Anaheim Hills. Rusnak Auto Group owns both JLR Anaheim Hills and JLR Pasadena, which will continue selling new Jags (as will JLR Newport Beach, JLR Cerritos, etc.) So Rusnak is an example of a two-site franchise that's sorta half in/half out of Jag world.

I can't say such "only service" changes inspire confidence, but I won't return to JLR Cerritos, not just because of distance but also because I thought its sales tactics were shady and because I think they mishandled my pre-CPO-sale inspection/service: They reset my car's service interval warning so that it didn't appear for 1 year, even though the year-3 service (including brake fluid flush/refill) was due only a week after my purchase. Because I was told all service was up-to-date when I bought it, and no further service was required for a year, I didn't check my Passport to Service schedule until the year-4 service I had done in Anaheim Hills, where I was refused a complimentary brake fluid job to catch up with the schedule. Was advised to seek a courtesy gift certificate from JLRNA to cover that $318 job; JLRNA initially refused, and I'm waiting to see if they'll respond favorably to my complaints (via their survey solicitations).

I know there's a fine-print disclaimer of responsibility for comp CPO warranty service that's overdue by a month, but I feel I'm owed an exemption because of Cerritos' mishandling/misinformation. I'm reluctant to take this matter up with Cerritos however, based on my experience.

Old 04-09-2023, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts

JLR era jags and wallet rovers are the ultimate gravy train of all time. dealerships will keep fixing those POS cars for as long as possible until the new motor supply dries up

lots of first and second owner vehicles with people willing to pay any cost, wallet rover especially.

Last edited by xalty; 04-09-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:49 PM
Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually they will not fix some cars over 10 years old already. A member of my club was told they did not have the parts to fix his '07 XK. Some parts will be available because they shared so many with Ford products. The Jag parts will be an issue. computers, systems, ECU reflashing you may have to hope that an Indy has copied the programs like SSD. Many parts will not be available not even at the service center. Hopefully SNG Barrett and Welsh and others will be allowed to make parts and sell them.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlkC4t_XK14:
jahummer (04-09-2023), ralphwg (04-10-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14
Actually they will not fix some cars over 10 years old already. A member of my club was told they did not have the parts to fix his '07 XK. Some parts will be available because they shared so many with Ford products. The Jag parts will be an issue. computers, systems, ECU reflashing you may have to hope that an Indy has copied the programs like SSD. Many parts will not be available not even at the service center. Hopefully SNG Barrett and Welsh and others will be allowed to make parts and sell them.
07 xk is not a jlr car

08 and down blacklist has been a thing for a long time

Old 04-09-2023, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 508 Likes on 367 Posts
jahummer (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 325 Posts

Not looking good...

Old 04-09-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
07 xk is not a jlr car

08 and down blacklist has been a thing for a long time
As I've mentioned several times, JLR main dealers in Florida have been identifying vehicles over 5 years old as vintage and prefer not to work on them or turn them away all together due to pile ups of broken down newest generation vehicles, parts availability issues and the fact taking one of these apart ends up causing other things to break and the repair bill to sell beyond reasonable costs.

Based on other comments here and elsewhere, it appear this's happening all over the nation.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 316 Posts

Yep. I think I mentioned in other threads, but my service rep made several calls and finally sourced a driver's side adaptive headlight assembly in Michigan or Minnesota, or something, and that dealership thought it may have been in the last one in the US. Later, my A/C compressor had to be shipped from coventry. And I remember that thread about retrofitting XF touchscreens to XK's due to lack of availability and I asked my rep and she confirmed that they were no longer available for the XK.
And all this was over two years ago.
Fortunately the 5.0 was (is?) popular in Land Rovers, so I think things like water pumps and crossover pipes are OK for now, but in terms of anything at all that was specific to the XK series.... we're talking a very low production car that stopped production 8 years ago. Keep making things like headlamp assemblies? Doubt it.
And I think it's important to remember people on this thread are a more narrow group then even Jag people. This is an XK forum, and I'm coming to the sad conclusion that the carjacker may have done me a favor. I'm not in a financial position to get into a $40K hobby car that will, eventually, require expensive repairs that will take a while to complete. And I'm past the point where I'm going to do much more than oil changes and filter replacements, that kind of stuff.
It's why I just keep pulling back from buying another one. They're still about 10K high, my opinion. (And I'm only looking 2013 - 2015)

The following 4 users liked this post by pk4144:
bigoshin (04-11-2023), BlkC4t_XK14 (04-14-2023), jahummer (04-10-2023), McJag222 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:39 PM
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14
I just heard that Long Island New York JLR dealerships will undergo closures and mergers. We have four dealerships that cover over 200 miles. Two Huntington will close their JLR dealership and move into the newly built facility about 15 miles away at the site of their sister dealership in Glen Cove, NY. The other sister dealership in the Hamptons is supposed to close but I don't know if they are closing both Jag and LR. The other JLR dealership they are saying will close the Jag portion and keep the LR. Things are dire for Jag in terms of sales. They only sell on Jag for every 10 LR sold and of course their product lineup has not improved in 5 years, 3 CEOs and the announcement of going ALL electric. In upstate New York, JLR closed ALL dealership except Rochester and Albany. So no dealership in Buffalo or Syracuse. If your car breaks down you must get it towed minimum of 75 miles to Rochester. this sounds like the end of Jag. It is over 200 miles from Rochester to Albany. I would like to see Jaguar get sold to a company with money that has a passion for building cars. Jag has lost it's way.
Yeah it's a real sad state for most Jag's in NY/Long Island... Don't know of any really honest and good indie shops for XK's in the North Shore / Eastern Nassau-Western Suffolk area. My XK has about 64k miles only gets driven on nice sunny days. I don't believe in the six or seven years I've had it, I've ever put more than 200 miles a year on it ( I have other cars and only 3-4 miles from work if I decide to take it in ). May see and test the waters if someone is interested in a really nice indigo blue / tan interior XK vert.. then look at another weekend toy to get. Sadly not being able to easily get parts or service a car that is already 16+ years old is a downer... Maybe will look into some other German sportscar or toy.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 414 Posts

I will suggest find a Lincoln/Ford mechanic and he should be able to help maintain most Ford Era Jags due to some crossover parts and procedures.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewtech:
BlkC4t_XK14 (04-14-2023), ralphwg (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,334 Posts

While the concerns expressed about the possibility of a dearth of parts in the (near) future are entirely understandable, the experience of those who have older Jaguars (I am among them) may be instructive.

Jaguars have and have always had very strong support from independent shops, suppliers and manufacturers, and more recently from Jaguar itself with the Jaguar Classic Parts programme. The XK (X150) has not reached the “classic” designation yet, but it will come. The very fact of the large numbers of these cars in service, and the fact that Jaguar engines are shared not only among different models within the marque, but also by Land Rover products, more than suggests that parts will continue to be available for decades.

I have had no problem getting any part for my more than 50 year old Mk 2 (which I use regularly), and my local Jaguar/Land Rover dealer has no qualms at all about servicing my 21 year old X-Type…so I am not at all concerned about keeping my 2015 F-Type - for all the reasons stated.

The sky is not falling, even though it might be cloudy.

The following 7 users liked this post by sov211:
bigoshin (04-11-2023), CA Jag (04-17-2023), Hans Amstein (04-11-2023), KJsJag (04-11-2023), McJag222 (04-11-2023), mosesbotbol (04-11-2023), ralphwg (04-11-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-11-2023, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Except based on my own experience, already a large number of major model specific parts are NLA both from Jaguar and Land Rover (trim, body, suspension, headlamps, electronics, etc) and this will only continue to expand as they likely no interest in devoting resources to one off pieces from suppliers they may no longer have a relationship with. Remember, JLR don’t make any of the parts used, they contract with other suppliers for them.

And you are fortunate and one of few who has a main dealer still servicing vehicles more than five years of age. As evidenced here, many dealers no longer offer service.

As for the Jaguar classic parts programme, I reckon there’s more to it than keeping Jags alive, its intended market’s classic car collectors with truly vintage antique cars.

Not trying to be negative, just pragmatic.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-11-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Bill400 (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Are JLR Dealers Going Away?