XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Just another headlight question (Adjustments)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Just another headlight question (Adjustments)

So to get straight to the point, my headlights are too low, and my manual adjusters are maxed out.

It is frightening to do any night time driving, as my low beams push maybe 25 to 35 feet out from the nose of the car before their cut off lines.

As stated, I've topped out the manual adjustments with no luck. At this point I have to assume I'm looking at an ECU adjust to the 'auto leveling system'.

Anyone have experience with this problem? I have no errors from the OBD, and the lights correctly 'self test'.
I'm curious to see if anyone else has been forced to have a shop align your headlamps via any ECU settings.

I guess a failed ride leveling sensor failure could be a possibility, but without errors on the diags, I'm looking for extra input from the group before I dash off to the dealership.

Thanks!
Vince

Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Do you have the adaptive headlights? Because I had this same situation where they were not adjusting and pointing straight down. I could not drive at night until we replaced one of the adaptive lights. Now, I just slap them, lock the car, unlock and then restart. (see the other two posts about adaptive headlight problems).

Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I have the adaptives, and they do cycle correctly. Technically, they came off my 2007 XK, as I had new adaptive headlamps replaced in 2013...
Wanting the newer revision in my 2010 XKR, I swapped them and put the XKR lamps in the XK. (So the '07 XK is running 2010(mfg. date) headlamps, while the XKR is using 2013 (mfg. date) headlamps.

Vince

Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

You need new bulbs. Seriously. I had the same problem, fog lamps were brighter. Picked up some OEM Silvania's, D1S if memory serves and they were amazing, Huge difference in performance.

HID bulbs only last 5 - 7 years so you are overdue.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
You need new bulbs. Seriously. I had the same problem, fog lamps were brighter. Picked up some OEM Silvania's, D1S if memory serves and they were amazing, Huge difference in performance.

HID bulbs only last 5 - 7 years so you are overdue.

Thanks, I wish it were that simple, but bulbs are not the issue. With the physical adjustments maxed out, the cutoff line for low beams are what measure out to about 25-30 feet. The intensity itself is fine. If I were to center the physical adjustment, The cutoff line would be about 15-20 feet ahead.
I'm currently driving my XK, and the low beam cutoff line reaches nearly double that.

With the physical adjustment maxed out, this has to be something within the ECU, or maybe I have a failed leveling sensor? I would expect a leveling sensor to throw a code, but maybe someone can confirm that as well? (Guess I could always disconnect the sensor to see....)

A leveling sensor I can replace on my own, but I'd like confirmation that there is an ECU setting a dealership can alter if anyone knows for sure....

Thanks again
Vince

Old 08-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Do the lamps do the cross eyed dip and then recenter when you turn them on? That's the self test procedure for the module. Does the high beam shutter work correctly?

I raised mine until they would reflect road signs when I hit a bump. No return flash from oncoming cars so I guess they are aligned low enough.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Do the lamps do the cross eyed dip and then recenter when you turn them on? That's the self test procedure for the module. Does the high beam shutter work correctly?

I raised mine until they would reflect road signs when I hit a bump. No return flash from oncoming cars so I guess they are aligned low enough.
Yes they cycle correctly on both my Jags. Shutter works too.
I was looking at shop manual. looks like maybe the leveling sensors (front and rear) might be adjustable..... gotta look into that

Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

If I remember right they do had little rod ends on them. They look pretty fragile too. Maybe one of the rod ends popped off. I want to say they are on the passenger side suspension. You should be able to see the front by turning the wheel all the way right.

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

When I had my 2010 xkr lowered, the headlights were way too high. Took it to the dealer in Denver, CO, explained to them that I needed it adjusted with the computer. They seemed to have a hard time understanding anyone would modify a Jag, and, after a week of being there for a simple 60k service, detail, and headlight adjustment I picked it up only to realize (once night time came), that they adjusted it even higher! Try driving at night in the mountains with your low beams so high it shined on the overhead signs above the freeway :/

Anyhow, took it back the next day and had a stern conversaton with the incompetent service manager. Tech took the car and came back 10 mins later with the headlights adjusted perfect. It's just a simple matter of calibrating at the dealership.
​​

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

You also calibrated the dealership. Congratulations.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Default The Discovery/Fix

Hey... Thread resurrection for the good of the order...
Found and fixed my problem....

Turned out to be my front height sensor had slipped out of its notch on the lower lateral control arm. (see attached image).
For US cars, this is on the passenger side.

Looking at the image, the connection from the sensor (well mounted to the upper framework BTW) to the lower arm is via ball and socket coupler on both ends.
The ball mounted on the lower lateral control arm is attached via a 1/2 inch stainless strap. The lateral control arm clearly has notches showing its proper location for the straps, and for my case, it was a simple matter to slip the assembly back back up the arm and into position...
Poof... I have low beams again (Thank goodness).

Thanks to all that offered advice. Ideas are possibilities, and anything that makes you 'think' is always appreciated!

Vince

Attached Thumbnails Just another headlight question (Adjustments)-headlamp-sensor.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by CleverName:
JackJohn (09-04-2017), sherbercars (09-04-2017), x9nov (05-05-2023)