Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

k&n filters or jag dealers options

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default k&n filters or jag dealers options

Every one says k&n filters should be fitted to the xkr. Took a look at mine after dealer service and the are white in color with red rubber edge, jaguar logo, number on each
6W83-9601-AB made in poland..Don't think these are k&n, should i replace. Has anyone a link, image and part number for the k&n filters, to suit 2007 xkr.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Stay With OEM Paired Matched Set of Engine Air Filters

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Every one says k&n filters should be fitted to the xkr. ...
Every one? See this link and post #5: Though's on K&N air filter? I thought it was worth copying: There are lots more on the internet, but Jaguar is a special case - see Brutal's comment below.

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on a fancy race-boy AIR FILTER and think for one minute you are increasing the performance of the car. It is a total waste of money and you run the risk of the oil needed to make the K&N work half way good on your MAF system, causing so many problems in some of the Porsche cars, that the REPUTABLE and HONEST top-of-the-line vendors quit selling them (they were causing all kinds of problems with the MAF system).

I speak from experience, having wasted my own money, and having experienced the problems. Therefore I burned mine I was so disgusted.
Name:  944KNfuneralpire3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  111.9 KB
I found the paper filter to work just fine, note how many long additional filter square inches of pleats the paper filter actually has. K&N claims a square inch of their filter flows more air and it does, with more dirt too. However, if you add up the additional filter area of the paper filter, you get the same amount of air passing into the motor and a heck of a lot better filtration.
Name:  944purlatorversusKN.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  121.6 KB

Unfortunately I bought two of these filters for two of my 3 Porsche cars, before I got the message from Wally Plumley, ex NASA engineer and present day Porsche 928 expert. I'm just trying to pass it on, because I think the K&N is a rip-off and I do not condone their marketing message. On race engines that have been punched up to double their original horsepower, then yes that may be a situation where the original equipment air box and filter system is challenged, but certainly not on a stock or near stock automobile.

Technically there may be a nano-bit of additional horses on some motors, but this is hardly a performance enhancement. If the K&N marketing still has you as a believer, then go ahead and BUY ONE, it is your money, your decison, and your car.................and then when you do buy one, place a little dab of grease or something inside your air box to see what it catches by getting through the fancy filter you just bought."

I agree with the above opinion. I fell for the marketing hype years ago and put a pair of K&N air filters on my 1993 600SL. The only difference I noticed in performance was that my fuel mileage went from bad to worse. I put the factory filters back in.

If you want to avoid a Check Engine Light, use ONLY a matched set of OEM filters. See this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-92749/ and, in particular, post #8 by Brutal (Tech Certified) "they not only need to be the same brand. but jaguar found out that even the same matching date code!!!!. just the difference in filter media construction from one batch to another can cause air to fuel ratio imbalances and check engine lights. We used to deal with this all the time till jaguar now only supplied them in a "paired matched set" tell your parts guy this is the 21st century and no longer as simple as he wants to think. Order a set or go pick them up at the dealer, its not hogwash

Your car, your choice.

Hope this helps. If so, please click Thanks, bottom right.

Stuart

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
mosesbotbol (07-18-2014), powerhouse (07-18-2014), sharx8 (07-21-2014), u102768 (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Stick with OEM and you won't have any worries.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

thanks guys, Sturt S ,,yur post is very graphic, good to know,so i'll keep my jag stamped filters i think, done some reserch and number is the same as jags other ref,number it is C2P6500.
Just one point on my driver side filter box the tray that fits inside the filter drawer is gone. Would this effect any thing.
Was doing spark plugs and have another thread on that, any comments wellcome.

Last edited by powerhouse; 07-18-2014 at 04:47 PM.