XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keyless entry battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keyless entry battery issue?

My new toy has keyless entry. It is just over 4yrs old - so the keyfobs *may* be on their original batteries, I don't know. I've only had the car 2 weeks now.

Anyways - on 2 seperate occasions (once with each fob) the keyless entry hasn't worked. In both instances I tried to put something in the trunk first - it wouldn't open, so I then tried the passenger door - no joy.

So I pressed the "open" button on the key fob and the car opened up and all was well - and the fobs worked next time I came to use them.

There was no message on the dash about low battery in the fobs - but is this likely to be a symptom of low battery?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Probably, since your car is over 4 years old. Why take any chances with the Smart Key battery? They're cheap and easy to replace. My car is 3 years old and I recently got a low smart key battery warning, so I bought a 2-pack of Energizer lithium CR2032 batteries from CVS for $6.99 and replaced the batteries in both my smart keys. It took less than 3 minutes to do both remotes.

When in doubt, read your Owner's Manual. Here's what mine (2009) says:

Irregular remote control operation
If difficulty is experienced with remote keyless entry, passive entry, passive starting or Jaguar Smart Key operation, it may be caused by:
Internal battery low voltage and therefore the battery should be replaced. See CHANGING THE REMOTE CONTROL BATTERY (page 20).
High levels of localised external electrical interference e.g. radio transmitter.

Here's how to do it (from the Owner's Manual)

1. Remove the key blade from the Jaguar Smart Key. See USING THE REMOTE CONTROL (page 15).
2. Remove the two side covers, one at a time, by inserting a small, flat-bladed, screwdriver between the cover and body and twist the screwdriver.
3. Insert a small, flat-bladed, screwdriver between the two body halves of the remote handset. Apply light pressure to the screwdriver and separate the two halves.
4. Remove the printed circuit board, taking care not to touch the battery terminals. Remove the old battery and dispose of it safely.
5. Fit a new battery cell, type CR2032 (available from your Jaguar Dealer), with the side marked with the positive symbol (+) downwards in the battery receptacle. Avoid touching the new battery as moisture and oil from the fingers can reduce the life of the battery and corrode the contacts.
Refit the parts in the reverse order making sure that they click securely into place

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-15-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: align text
The following users liked this post:
Qwikkitty (11-01-2013)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

the way to change the battery has been updated
SSM43956
Models X150 / XK
X250 / XF
Title XF/XK revised smart key battery replacement procedure
Category Body
Last modified 31-Mar-2010 00:00:00
Symptom 112000 Latches/Locks & Security
Content
Issue:
A significant number of smart key fobs have been returned through warranty with damaged battery contacts.

Cause:
Smart key battery replacement instructions lack detail.

Action:
Please follow the revised smart key battery replacement procedure to avoid the risk of electrical contact damage. Note particular attention should be paid to correct key orientation when carrying out the repair.
NOTE: The Key blade should remain in remote control housing for complete battery change procedure.
1. Position remote in the palm of the hand with the JAGUAR logo uppermost and operational buttons facing downwards.
2. Focusing on the opposite end of the remote to the key blade, use a thumb nail or non-marking blunt instrument, to prise off both chrome end caps, one at a time from both sides of remote control housing (Fig.1 & 2).

3. With both chrome end caps removed, again use a thumb nail or non-marking blunt instrument to prise apart both halves of remote housing. Ensure the remote is kept in the horizontal position with JAGUAR logo uppermost and operational buttons facing downwards (Fig 3 & 4).

4. With both halves of remote now separated, notice that lower-half of remote housing contains the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) with battery contacts (Fig 5). The upper-half of the remote housing contains moulded locators which retain the battery (Fig 6). Place the half containing PCB on a suitable non-marking surface with the control buttons facing down. NOTE: Care should be taken not to disturb the PCB and key blade latch unnecessarily.

5. Remove the existing battery from moulded locators and replace with a new battery, type CR2032 (available from your dealer). When fitting the new battery, ensure the Negative face of battery is uppermost and facing you. In the battery-side of the remote housing, you will notice a +ve marking present in the housing, the battery positive side should face this marking. Avoid touching the new battery, as oil/moisture from the fingers can reduce battery life and corrode contacts.
6. Refit both halves of remote control housing together, note it is important to ensure that the battery half (fig 6) is placed onto the PCB half (fig5) to avoid risk of disturbing the PCB, and ensure that they fit squarely and securely. Care should be taken to ensure no damage is caused to battery contacts due to misaligned fitment of both halves of remote control unit.
7. Replace both chrome end caps, ensuring that they click securely in place.
8. Check smart key operation to confirm full remote functionality.

The following 5 users liked this post by davewhitt:
bobdr1 (05-01-2014), Ngarara (05-01-2014), Qwikkitty (11-01-2013), sherbercars (05-03-2014), Stuart S (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 AM

Cheers folks. Will do.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

[quote=davewhitt;429463]the way to change the battery has been updated
SSM43956
Models X150 / XK
X250 / XF
Title XF/XK revised smart key battery replacement procedure
Category Body
Last modified 31-Mar-2010 00:00:00
Symptom 112000 Latches/Locks & Security
Content
Issue:
A significant number of smart key fobs have been returned through warranty with damaged battery contacts.

Cause:
Smart key battery replacement instructions lack detail.

Dave,
Thanks for the update. Can you give us the link to where you found this Technical Service Bulletin? Or is it available only to paid subscribers? I'd like to see if there are any other TSBs that affect my XKR.
Stuart

Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Whilst I haven't had any more issues, I did replace both batteries.

Using a non calibrated DVM the old batteries read 3.01V and the new ones 3.27V - which implies to me that the old ones were on the way out (as well as my DVM is over reading by approx 1/4V)

iamddo (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd like to add that there is a small spring and a plastic bar that operates the spare-key release. It is very easy for that spring to either pop out (and get lost) or to get caught between the two halves of the key fob, preventing you from seating them together.

Ngarara (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Those batteries do not seem to last long for me. The last set lasted about 5 months!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Never buy batteries on eBay or Amazon since there's a strong probability that you'll get Chinese fakes and not the genuine brand item. Fakes are much cheaper but don't last long and might catch on fire.

I buy batteries only from chain store retailers (Target, CVS, Walgreen's, Costco) and always check the date. The fresher the better.

ralphwg (05-02-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Stuart, the other day as soon as fired up my 2010 xor I noticed a box on my screen and all I caught was what seemed to be a "battery" word then it quickly disappeared! Is this what you mean by low battery message? thanks cuz!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gato Negro
Hello Stuart, the other day as soon as fired up my 2010 xor I noticed a box on my screen and all I caught was what seemed to be a "battery" word then it quickly disappeared! Is this what you mean by low battery message? thanks cuz!
Probably, but l'm not positive without seeing the warning/icon. Check your Owner's Handbook to be sure. Since your car is 4 years old I wouldn't be surprised if your smart key battery is on its last legs. Easy and cheap to replace.