XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at 07 XKR Convertible - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

CTEK MUS4.3 arrived today. 2 minutes from package to hookup - not sure what all the fuss is about setup...to be fair, this my temp setup with the clamps. Wind deflector and the JagWrangler remote on the way. Did a nanoskin cleanse/polish/Meguiar's tech wax today - of course it's pouring now and I have to go across town. Oh well, let's see if it will bead....

Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The advise from Stuart S posted here is excellent. I purchased our 2007 XKR convertible in January this year with 24k miles from a private seller. Overall the car was in excellent condition with all service records. Dealer inspection did find 3 of 4 rims bent, which I came to learn is a common problem with Senta rims. They referred me to their source and fixed rims, $125 per + had all 4 high speed balanced. Had the dealer install a new battery as no record of this being done, under $200 installed. The A/C issue Stuart referenced had been fixed. Apparently, this a very inexpensive part but labor can be in the $1k range, so you want to check the service records. We absolutely love the car. Worth every penny.

The following users liked this post:
mkmccoy (04-21-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

TWO MONTH OWNERSHIP UPDATE: Still absolutely LOVING it. Replaced trans pan and gasket, got an AC charge, bought CTek, installed wind deflector, and had some swirls and dings (paintlessly) removed. Just finished installing the JagWrangler one touch/rear 1/4 window kit. It's great, but if I'd known what an absolute PITA it was going to be crawling in and out of a hot as Hades/black/top up/dimly lit/ultra-cramped backseat with nowhere to really rest my beaten-down 54 yr old body about 50 times over the past 4 hours, I'm not sure I would have done it. But now that it's in, it is sweet.

CEL came on - indy cleared it, said it was gas cap. I bought a code reader, but of course no lights since I got it.

One MAJOR issue - the AC duckbill gremlin has got me. Pass side footwell getting dumped on over last several weeks. Closed vent trick did nothing. Its an XKR, so no access for the DIY fixes. I love the ingenuity of drilling through the footwell wall and installing an aux drain, but I'd rather actually FIX it. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have it done. The question is indy or Jag dealer? I called the two local dealers (Troy, MI and Farmington Hills, MI) and spoke to their service depts. Neither of them has EVER heard of the issue. How could that be?! I may have my indy give it a go with some of the stuff from the forum printed out for reference. He did the AC and trans pan.

Only other thing is I am moving from Detroit to St Louis MO in a few weeks - drive it 600 miles or transport it? Best quote on enclosed transport is $899. Gas would run me about $150 plus the inevitable chips and road rash. It would also be an extra trip, as I have to drive a truck down there (I have never towed anything, so that (and the car sits kinda low for a tow) is out).

Thanks - Mike

Old 06-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmccoy
The question is indy or Jag dealer? I called the two local dealers (Troy, MI and Farmington Hills, MI) and spoke to their service depts. Neither of them has EVER heard of the issue. How could that be?! I may have my indy give it a go with some of the stuff from the forum printed out for reference. He did the AC and trans pan.
The biggest indy Jaguar repair shop in New England was walking distance to my house and they wanted no part of this job...

This is really a dealer job. The whole dash has to come out, the carpets and pads need to be in a auto body paint drier. I paid around just under 1K with a Jaguar loaner included. Well worth it! Also a good point to make sure the leather is not pulling dash or address it if it's close. Call around though; not all dealerships are created equal... Find one that has been a long time dealer with good service dept. Talk to service manager directly and get a flat rate price upfront

mkmccoy (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

the threads on the duck bill were very helpful to me. I studied them all and made the tool as described. after two hours of work...the drain was opened and the issue never appeared again.

btw, I bought my 2007 two years ago with on 3800 miles on it...it was an remains completely as new. I was happy to pay a premium as the car would not be duplicable at any price. I would do it again to own a car this fastidiously owned/maintained. I say you paid fair money considering the car and the ownership history. congrats!

mkmccoy (06-28-2017)