XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking for good engine rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

While it WOULD be expensive, it would also be a HOOT to take a blown 5.0 S/C and rebuild it..... while stroking it to 5.8 or larger, and upping the compression a tad. Port everything, larger blower, bigger cam, larger TB, rework the heads and then pay some Electrical Engineer several thousand $$$$ to tune it so it'd actually run. 800 HP wouldn't be out of reach.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Jagtoes and peterv8,
In my case, when the engine was checked there was simply virtually no oil in it (before I bought it), LACK OF MAINTENANCE! by the previous owner I would suspect. However, I drove the car prior to it coming to my mechanic, and there were no warning lights on the dash, so you can't rely on them as accurate predictors of what's actually going on. I check my oil every few days as well as coolant level before I start the car in the morning just so that I want be caught "flat footed" in the future and have no one to blame but myself.
There is seriously no low oil level sensor? I check the coolant weekly but check the oil level only about once per month (but I checked it this morning!). So far, the level never changes so I'm not losing any oil at the moment. But hell, I can see designing in the stupid E-dipstick but no low oil level message? Really? in a $80-90k car???

All that said, where in the hell did ~8 qts of oil disappear to in your old engine!!!??? My old 5.3L Yukon burns about a qt every 5000 miles but that has 170K miles on it!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Do the 5.0's get warnings when the oil needs changed? The 4.2's don't but my wife's '02 Explorer does.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Do the 5.0's get warnings when the oil needs changed? The 4.2's don't but my wife's '02 Explorer does.
yes. Message center says Service Required.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Shemp,
I specifically remember when driving the car on a test drive that there were no warnings on the dash. Supposedly there is a low oil warning that is supposed to kick in if it drops more than 2 quarts low, but there was none. The reason I found out about no oil in the engine was that after the previous owner contacted his warranty company and they agreed to have my mechanic install a replacement, I thought about it and suggested to the owner that since he live very close to a Jaguar dealer in Pasadena, why not take it there, have them do the install, and then we'd have a Jaguar factory warranty for a period of time. He thought that was a good idea, and took it there. They first wanted to diagnose the problem and discovered almost no oil. He was afraid they would report those findings back to the warranty company, so he pulled the car out and took it back to my mechanic, who then purchase the 5000mi engine, removed the blown motor, and proceeded to install. After that, I drove the car and it was night and day a different automobile, and I agreed to go forward with the sale.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (09-21-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - I went away for a long weekend after my post and did not expect this many replies! Thank you to everyone who responded.

In my case, it seems the car simply "ran out of oil". I had an oil change (7.7 qts of full synthetic) at 70,400 miles. No signs of unusual oil consumption there. I took it in for the next oil change with 78.5k miles, and it was found to be very close to bone dry. It never leaked a drop, and was never smoking through the exhaust. The failure likely occurred in the days before the oil change. I had an inconsistent, very minor noise for a few days. When I drove the car home from the oil change, there was no noise. The morning after, it started making terrible noises (and has been parked ever since).

As pointed out, this doesn't appear to be a common problem. However, it isn't unheard of either. There are others who have experienced the same. And no, there is no low oil level warning light (that I have been able to find). I did have a service message, but the car was due for service, so that made sense).

I appreciate the suggestion to look for a used engine. I did go that route initially, but with $10-$12k for the engine and $3-4k for the labor, it was getting close to the $18-$20k for a rebuild. Which is why I'm looking for more quotes for the rebuild. Things tend to be very expensive in Southern California - I was thinking there might be slightly cheaper options elsewhere.

As it stands now, I have put the car of for sale in its existing condition. If I get a lower (reliable) quote for a rebuild, I may still go that way, but I need to make a decision and get the car moved on.

Incidentally, I bought a 2013 BMW 650ix Convertible with M-Sport as my replacement car (I was, and somewhat still is, angry at Jaguar at the time). It's a very nice and very reliable car. It will tell me when it's low on oil, and it doesn't have any glitches in the infotainment system. But the driving experience isn't even close to being in the same class as the XKR - and obviously, neither are the looks.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

What is interesting is there is a low oil pressure sensor so why wouldn't there be a warning light on the dash. I guess maybe it sets off the red MIL which would be maybe to late. Also I would think with a weekly oil level check you would see a low oil condition. Even if it were down 2 qts you would think it would still not cook the engine. What other indicators would show on the dash prior to engine failure.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

The owners manual refers to a "warning ENGINE OIL CRITICALLY LOW is displayed in the message centre" see attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oil level handbook.pdf (88.3 KB, 55 views)
jagtoes (09-24-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

How long ago was the old oil change done? Didn't Jaguar change the oil spec to thinner stuff recently? Seems the dealer induced the failure with the oil change if the rapid deterioration happened just after changing the oil...

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I find it perplexing as to how it could not have shown leaks or indicated oil burning yet loose that gross amount of oil in 8K miles. Possible it was short filled at the previous change?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts
Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
How long ago was the old oil change done? Didn't Jaguar change the oil spec to thinner stuff recently? Seems the dealer induced the failure with the oil change if the rapid deterioration happened just after changing the oil...
Only went from 5W-20 to 0W-20 which shouldn't have made much of a difference. Only affected start up as when warm it was the same.

Ranchero50 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

All this reminds me of an "oil change" I had done on my old Studebaker back in the day. The engine started knocking within 2 blocks and on checking the oil NONE WAS FOUND. The service provider swore they had filled the crank case so I topped it off and went on my way. Of course the engine blew 100 or so miles later. SOAB What are ya gonna do? I had to sell the car at the side of the road for 50 1960 dollars.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Don't most places show you the dipstick before they close the hood and send you on your way... oh wait... Never mind

No dipstick has to be the dumbest idea ever know in car making...

Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

My son-in-law had been driving my daughter's old 2006 Cobalt POS for several months, but he thought that the bright red "OIL" light was just a reminder to get the oil changed. Finally, my daughter had to take that car to work, and as soon as she started out she went directly to a oil place and had the stuff changed (she was taught well). ANYWAY, the guys who changed it drained about HALF A QUART from the pan. Was SUPPOSED to be five quarts. They added to FULL and my daughter started off to work again.... but the rattling and knocking was too bad so she went back home and parked it.

Medium story a little shorter; I tried putting gear oil where the oil goes to MAYBE make it last a little longer....... Too Late. Those rods were knocking so bad it hurt my teeth.
Bad part is she still owed a grand or so on the note, PLUS they had just gotten both lower control arms replaced, two new tires and just paid the registration literally two weeks before that.

OFF TO THE SCRAP YARD!!!

Yep, my Son-in-law is kind of a dolt when it comes to auto stuff. He's just never been taught.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Check out Galaxy Used Auto parts. Here is their url: Jaguar Used Parts, Auto Body Supplies, Salvage Car Wrecking Junk Yard They have several used 5.0L engines available in the $8k range. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My son-in-law had been driving my daughter's old 2006 Cobalt POS for several months, but he thought that the bright red "OIL" light was just a reminder to get the oil changed. Finally, my daughter had to take that car to work, and as soon as she started out she went directly to a oil place and had the stuff changed (she was taught well). ANYWAY, the guys who changed it drained about HALF A QUART from the pan. Was SUPPOSED to be five quarts. They added to FULL and my daughter started off to work again.... but the rattling and knocking was too bad so she went back home and parked it.

Medium story a little shorter; I tried putting gear oil where the oil goes to MAYBE make it last a little longer....... Too Late. Those rods were knocking so bad it hurt my teeth.
Bad part is she still owed a grand or so on the note, PLUS they had just gotten both lower control arms replaced, two new tires and just paid the registration literally two weeks before that.

OFF TO THE SCRAP YARD!!!

Yep, my Son-in-law is kind of a dolt when it comes to auto stuff. He's just never been taught.
A little off point here but you bring up something I have been noticing over the last 5-10 years. Especially in boys as they start to drive. It seems to me they are not getting any hand me down information from either their fathers or from some of the programs in school. I see on other forms the same trend where engines are blown or overheated due to lack of normal maintenance procedures. Also the trend to just drive the car and bring it to the dealer if something goes wrong. A lack of trade skills due to the pressure to go to college. I don't know about some on this form but I don't find to many of todays youth who do minor on car work like brake jobs or changing fluids. Then again I have never played a video game so maybe it's an even trade off. OK back to the post.

The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (09-25-2018), pwpacp (09-26-2018), SinF (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Both my sons and daughter can change brake pads. Son, 26, daughter, 19 and son, 14.

Cee Jay (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Both my sons can't even check their oil levels nor do they understand why they need to. And heaven forbid they should have to change a spare tire. My daughter is the one most likely to be able to do those things. I guess I've failed as a parent.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
A little off point here but you bring up something I have been noticing over the last 5-10 years. Especially in boys as they start to drive. It seems to me they are not getting any hand me down information from either their fathers or from some of the programs in school. I see on other forms the same trend where engines are blown or overheated due to lack of normal maintenance procedures. Also the trend to just drive the car and bring it to the dealer if something goes wrong. A lack of trade skills due to the pressure to go to college. I don't know about some on this form but I don't find to many of todays youth who do minor on car work like brake jobs or changing fluids. Then again I have never played a video game so maybe it's an even trade off. OK back to the post.
Millennial here. My father couldn't change engine oil. I took engines apart to look at main bearings after suffering detonations due to overboosting engine (because faster is always better). I think a lot of this is inclinations and aptitude.

Quick Reply: Looking for good engine rebuilder