Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low coolant warning error

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts
Default Low coolant warning error

Beginning of the week I got a low coolant warning error, popped open the hood and voila, I was about 4 inches below the MIN line in the reservoir. I topped it off with distilled water, checked around for leaks, nothing to be found. I took it for some short rides, checked the level, then some longer rides, checked the level, it didn't budge. I don't have a coolant smell at any time.

I had already been scheduled at the dealer for my 1 year oil change on Thursday, I was going to the further Jag dealer in my area around 35 minutes on the interstate from my house. Pulled in, checked the coolant after this, my longest and most spirited drive, and still no further loss.

I reported it to the dealer and they poked around, as my Service Adviser stated even a pinhole leak is obvious with the Orange coolant. Alas there was not a single indicator.

At this point I am watching it but confident that I don't have anything major occurring, but it is curious to have a mystery fluid loss as some others have reported. Best I can do is continue to monitor. Slow leaks will turn into faster leaks at some point so I figure it will eventually be visible.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

did you read my post,: coolant leak from rear of engine, help help, could be heading for my problem, my coolant pipe let go, so in for fix. Is yours leaking a bit underneath. It could be small and just burning off.

The following users liked this post:
tampamark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Any recent work on the cooling system before the loss?

BTW - tampamark's 2012 xk has the 5.0 engine & no supercharger - No valley hose

tampamark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hafren
Any recent work on the cooling system before the loss?

BTW - tampamark's 2012 xk has the 5.0 engine & no supercharger - No valley hose
O, lucky him

Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

No recent work on the system, the dealer states they checked the entire coolant path looking for any crusty orange residue, nada.

I will continue to monitor and see how long it takes to get low again.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
No recent work on the system, the dealer states they checked the entire coolant path looking for any crusty orange residue, nada.

I will continue to monitor and see how long it takes to get low again.
Mark, when was the last time you had any work done that required draining the system and how often do you check the reservoir?

My initial thought and two cents - the odor is unmistakable and if you had a leak, you would smell it.
It is possible that the last time it was serviced, be it 6 months ago, air was left in the system and over time has worked its way back to the reservoir as it should.

At the very least, I'd pop down to the auto parts store and borrow a pressure tester. Add some UV dye. Leave it on overnight, not for 15 minutes like the dealerships. If it's got a leak, then you'll know. If not, drive on my friend.

tampamark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

The AC compressor was replaced around 6 months ago, shouldn't affect my coolant unless they had to pull hoses to get it out. I bought it in March of last year as a CPO so they combed through the entire cars system...or they were supposed to!

Regardless, that makes sense about the air pockets working their way through the system. Me and coolant smell are old friends, or enemies? Knowing a possible leak is in my future with the 5.0L engine I keep my olfactory senses on high alert when I get out of my car, nothing is indicated to my proboscis. I will give the test/dye a try if I start to see the level changing over time, for now it is a drive and monitor scenario.

Sean W (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
O, lucky him
Agreed! At least that is one off the list of possible issues.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
The AC compressor was replaced around 6 months ago, shouldn't affect my coolant unless they had to pull hoses to get it out. I bought it in March of last year as a CPO so they combed through the entire cars system...or they were supposed to!

Regardless, that makes sense about the air pockets working their way through the system. Me and coolant smell are old friends, or enemies? Knowing a possible leak is in my future with the 5.0L engine I keep my olfactory senses on high alert when I get out of my car, nothing is indicated to my proboscis. I will give the test/dye a try if I start to see the level changing over time, for now it is a drive and monitor scenario.
Tamp I doubt that you had air in the system especially over that long a period of time. To lose the tank level and trip the low coolant light makes me believe you've got some sort of leak going on. I would get a pressure tester and pump it up to 15 lbs. and let it sit overnight and see what you have. Do it with a cold (room temp) engine . The correct way to do it is to fill the tank to the top so there is no air in the tank to compress and distort the reading. Once done just drain the extra which I do using a turkey baster. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I agree w/ Jagtoes. Pressure test it.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

.... and yet another reason I will probably switch to Evans waterless coolant. No pressure in the system equals a 99.8% chance of no leaks, ever. Evans works wonderfully well in my street/drag car.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

I will have to test when I get a chance. In the meantime it is on my watch list.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

A week ago I checked my wife's '12 5.0 NA XF and it was down on coolant by about 1.5 inches. While I check my XKR almost every time after driving it, the daily driven XF (17K miles) tends to slip by those regular inspections. So, with some alarm I took note and refilled the tank.

Since, I drove her car about 500 miles and the level is exactly to where I filled it. Who knows where the coolant disappeared to... no work done on the car's coolant circuit since new.