XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

low cost auto insurance for an XKR in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default low cost auto insurance for an XKR in the US?

I did search the forum for this topic but did not find.

I expected the rates to go up when I bought the car but the rates went up 3x from an XJ8 L to an XKR. That seems like a bit much.

Does anybody know of an insurance company that gives good rates for performance cars? I have already talked with AAA and Progressive.

Thanks in advance,

Biff

Old 06-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

State farm did not beat me up over the XKR other than the agent wants one really bad...

Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

How much do you drive per year? I have found that if you keep the miles low, you can insure with companies like Hagerty Classic Car insurance for "peanuts" in comparison to a regular insurance policy. In fact, I have just taken my 2002 XKR off of my regular policy and added it to my Pantera classic policy, and it's only a couple of hundred dollars per year. If you're driving 20K per year, they won't do it, but 5K or so, you shouldn't have a problem.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

I use USAA, but you need to meet membership requirements, such as former military, or military in your family.
I have used Liberty Mutual also, and they are both similar (at least in my situation).
$827 per year. Full coverage, of course. Includes Diminished Value clause also. Multiple vehicle discount, house discount and such also.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Tberg,
do the restrictions on driving include weekends only?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

We use Safeco as the insurance company of choice for our homes, and vehicles.

We have 2 homes and 5 vehicles bundled with Safeco. The bundling provides excellent rates for both HO policies and Auto policies. The coverage is top grade with a $500 deductible on all policies.

Each car is insured for limited miles of 5000 each. With 5 choices to drive, that equates to 25,000 miles per year. It is doubtful we will drive 25,000 in any one year. In addition, we have clean driving records with no violations over the last 20 years and our ages are 65 and 66 respectively.

Cost for HO on a $450,000 home is $1000 per year, and the cost for HO on our mountain home valued at $260,000 is $850 per year. The 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition with 17,500 miles on the OD came in at about $600 per year with full coverage and $500 deductible. We have not submitted any vehicle claims to Safeco in over 10+ years.

Insurance costs and premiums are highly dependent on many factors. Age, driving records, past claims, mileage driven etc. Every household is different from each other.

I am sure insuring 1 single vehicle at a younger age with a few driving violations will make the costs to insure much higher.

Consider bundling your home(s) and vehicle(s) together with one insurance carrier. Report the car driven as a lower mileage vehicle. I do not believe the Jaguar is considered a "high-performance vehicle". The Jaguar is considered more of a "luxury branded" vehicle. The Jaguar XKR is a high dollar vehicle when purchased new (well over $100,000) and is treated quite differently in insurance underwriting than a car priced at $25,000 to $35,000.

Last edited by richzak; 06-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

+1 as to tberg's advice about Hagerty. If you try to use a Hagerty policy for the car that you use to commute to work, you risk having claims being denied.

What good is cheap insurance if they don't pay your claims or adequately defend you against liability? Would you buy insurance from a company on the verge of bankruptcy? Cheap insurance can cost more than you realize.

If you're over 55, get a quote from AARP/The Hartford. Their rates are typically low because their policies are sold only to senior citizens. Contrary to what you may think about how bad old folks drive, seniors actually have low claim losses because they're retired, don't commute and drive fewer miles at slower speeds, which results in causing fewer deaths and lower damage repair costs than the general population that includes drivers under age 25.

The OP should get multiple quotes and maximize discounts by bundling auto, home, and umbrella coverages. Good credit helps, too. As does a clean driving record. If all else fails, move out of California.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

My ins is dirt cheap.
Because when I bought my car it was in a very low risk pool, only mature affluent and seasoned drivers bought this car. Today punks could be buying this car for drifting or pimpin', or enough have crashed it to make it a high risk.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-22-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo, spelt pimping wrong. Pimpin' its a feelin'
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

Queen and Country,
Hagerty asks you some simple questions like "Is it your primary vehicle?" They ask you approximately how many miles you think you'll drive it during the coming year, but it's not an absolute and your coverage would not lapse if you went over your estimate. I use my X150 as a daily driver so I want the full coverage of a normal policy, however, as a secondary car, these policies can't be beat.

And no, it is not only limited to weekends.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

I bounce back and forth between Geico and Progressive. I check annually. I get no break for bundling with either carrier. I have State Farm for my house and they can't even come close to other carriers for auto here in Minnesota. We're a no fault auto State so that also impacts rates.

Age of vehicle matters too. I pay $700 per yer for both vehicles combined, $500 deductible, full coverage. The XK is less than half of that combined rate.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
...................... The XK is less than half of that combined rate.
That little letter "R" does make quite a difference, however.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
That little letter "R" does make quite a difference, however.
agreed. I think that's why my XJ SV8 was so much higher. Certainly wasn't a theft risk as no one wanted that "old man's" car.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

I drive the car daily and put on plenty of miles so I can't get a low mileage discount. Military related insurance is not available to me. I assume they get the best rates. So far, Progressive seems to be the lowest for me.

Thank you for all of your responses.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I tried Hagarty for my '91XJS with my '65 E Type. It was 50% more than adding it to my Farmers policy so I went with Farmers. Have not Checked with Hagarty on the XK. I really wanted the classic insurance for the XJS because in Arizona "classic" cars don't need the annual smog inspections. (Classic car insurance is one of the criteria used to determine if the car is a classic or not.)

Last edited by davchr; 06-23-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Progressive is lower than Mercury? I don't think so. I have had excellent service with Mercury, never had a problem with claims, and find them considerably less expensive than the other major carriers for my regular car insurance

Old 06-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had GREAT experiences with Auto Owners. My 2008 XK with full coverage is $850, no driving limits AND that price includes a recent speeding ticket (the car simply refuses to go less than 80mph on interstates).

Auto Owners does my three cars (1973 TR-6, the Jag and a 2015 Ford Escape) and home owners. I have had recent claims experience on both policies. In October a tree was blown onto the house and in December my wife totaled her 2007 Mercury Mariner. Auto Owners claims agents could not have been easier to work with. Absolutely no complaints.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Different insurers tend to have different target "sweet deals" to get buy in.

It can vary by location. You can't really use the insurance cost of people who live in different places as a guide to insurance costs where your car is kept.

I am 31, recently re-shopped as my previous carrier gave me an ouchie rate hike. Coverage limits also are not always the same. Different locations from the same carrier can have different limit offerings.

My current insurer after the reshop is 72% of Geico's quoted rate. I had an insurance agent hunt around for me.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 677 Posts

Seems to me some companies are in the business of "selling" insurance, while others are in the business of actually "insuring" against loss. I've used Amica for my home and daily drivers and they've been great to deal with on claims too. They have been especially good since I have often driven some quite old, but not yet classic cars as daily drivers. Most companies would low-ball the heck out of any claims, but Amica hasn't done me that way. Its more expensive, but they seem to be the go-to choice for people who "have something to lose" vs the average joe whose primary concern is a low monthly payment. I wish they'd do agreed value on classic cars but they don't.

My brother has classic cars on Hagerty and I like a lot of the things the company does to support their collector clientele and their support for car clubs and such. I'd use them except that over 20 years ago I had a Toyota Supra that I had modified; I called Hagerty and the response was "We don't insure Subarus." In fact, there were only a handful of cars newer than 25 years old that they'd even consider at the time. JC Taylor on the other hand understood that even a late model Japanese car could be just a "toy" and agreed to insure it under an agreed value policy. I've stuck with them ever since. But if you read classic car forums about insurance, you don't read much negative about any of the companies that specialize in classic cars. They all seem to handle claims with a minimum of drama. If you can accept the "limitations" of a classic car policy, that's the way to go.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finding low cost auto insurance isn't something hard if you know the right ways to do so. Install anti-theft devices in your vehicle. These anti-theft devices help detract thieves from your vehicle and reduce the possibility of your vehicle being stolen. This will then help you to get low cost auto insurance. Buy group auto insurance in order to qualify for low cost auto insurance. Try some of these things to lower your insurance cost. By knowing your needs, and the mandatory laws regarding cover you can already start choosing low cost auto insurance. Get more information about auto insurance for your needs. Also, go for multiple quotes as possible to get the best suitable option for your requirements.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 632 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
It can vary by location. You can't really use the insurance cost of people who live in different places as a guide to insurance costs where your car is kept.
Agreed, all these prices mean nothing unless the OP can compare the declarations page details, even then location will have a large determination in cost. What are the bodily injury limit selections, deductible, plus uninsured motorist coverage, etc.

These can vary depending on your net worth and desire to protect yourself. I pay almost double for the same vehicle and similar limits as a friend of mine with the same optioned Jeep Wrangler, simply becuase of our zip codes which are 5 mile apart.

The following users liked this post:
myexcursion (03-01-2018)

Quick Reply: low cost auto insurance for an XKR in the US?