XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loyalty being tested....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Loyalty being tested....

So I have always, well since my first XKE Matchbox at age 7, been a diehard Jaguar fan and have owned many. As I mentioned here months ago I have been looking for (albeit not hard) an XK/XKR but life has gotten in the way lately but now I have to wonder.

In the shop for repair this last week is a 2011 Audi S5, 5 speed. The repair was done on Monday but there was a weird rattle we had to source and it meant multiple test drives to locate. No honestly it did, LOL. We found the issue which was a factory clip thing but the point is..... WOW what a freaking awesome car. I have always liked how Audis looked but never really paid attention to them driving wise. This car got my attention and its not even the S5R.

Now Im torn..... and actually spent some time on a couple Audi forums and have been scanning used S5 prices. So do I cheat on Mother Jaguar.... or just let it pass and continue to seek out my XK/XKR ?

There is something subtly sexy about that 2 door Audi. The Jag is just straight up sexy IMHO. We fix many awesome cars (Lambos,Ferraris,Porsches) but for some reason this one really got to me.

HELP before I move to the darkside, LOL.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would cross shop a RS 5, not a s5 with the Xkr. The rs5 has more power and nice upgrades over the s5. I think the rs5 is more on par with the jag. I friend of mine has a s5 and the novelty wears off pretty quickly, as it only has 333 hp and doesn't sound great either.

The following users liked this post:
John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The downside with the S5 is there is one on every streetcorner. At least there is here!

I like the looks of the S5, especially in a bright red color. It's a 5 speed manual? I'm really surprised there were still 5 speed manuals in 2011!

The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
Jffcurt (05-24-2014), John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
So I have always, well since my first XKE Matchbox at age 7, been a diehard Jaguar fan and have owned many. As I mentioned here months ago I have been looking for (albeit not hard) an XK/XKR but life has gotten in the way lately but now I have to wonder.

In the shop for repair this last week is a 2011 Audi S5, 5 speed. The repair was done on Monday but there was a weird rattle we had to source and it meant multiple test drives to locate. No honestly it did, LOL. We found the issue which was a factory clip thing but the point is..... WOW what a freaking awesome car. I have always liked how Audis looked but never really paid attention to them driving wise. This car got my attention and its not even the S5R.

Now Im torn..... and actually spent some time on a couple Audi forums and have been scanning used S5 prices. So do I cheat on Mother Jaguar.... or just let it pass and continue to seek out my XK/XKR ?

There is something subtly sexy about that 2 door Audi. The Jag is just straight up sexy IMHO. We fix many awesome cars (Lambos,Ferraris,Porsches) but for some reason this one really got to me.

HELP before I move to the darkside, LOL.

The Audi brand has come a long way from the past in both performance and styling. Reputation is very good. Reliabilty seems to be very good also.

It would certainly be a hard choice. One thing I don't like about owning the Jaguar XKR is the fear of something going wrong. But as mentioned here before, continuous reading of these forum posts creates the fear, rather than the reality of something actually going wrong with the XKR. I love the XKR but I have to keep an open mind on owning other premuim brands. I have owned my 2009 XKR PE Convert for one year, and it has performed flawlessly. I am at just 15,500 miles so it doesn't get driven that much on an annual basis.

The Jaguar is a classy automobile no doubt, it turns heads and I always get allot of thumbs up. The Jaguar is a bit rarer in production vs the Audi, so you just don't see very many on the road, and this lower production gives the potential owner a feeling of "exclusivity". Also I think that Jaguar has that "status symbol" elite feeling of ownership.

I would suggest to carefully compare pricing and what drive and style you like best.

In my case, if I had a 10 car garage I could easily fill the space with many different premuim brands and a few classics. If a person really likes cars and finer premium automobiles, I think anyone would be faced with the challenge of what to buy. It's a continuing problem for most car enthuisiasts.

In your case, you own a shop so servicing does not create a problem.

I would favor the XKR for style and luxury, and elite status, but choose the Audi for potential reliability.

Lets us know what you ultimately decide.

John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Check the 2014 J.D. Power rankings on reliability. Jaguar did better than Audi. For premium brands, they still aren't as good as they should be.

Attached Thumbnails Loyalty being tested....-j.d.-power-2014-dependability-study.jpg  
John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the Jaguar has character that the Audi just can't match. Audi, BMW and Mercedes just seem like the obvious choice for well-to-do young people, and I think the comments of "isn't that owned by Ford" have died off in the last few years whenever I tell someone I drive a Jag. Not sure where my rambling post is going.

OK off for a drive in the XKR vert!!

John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 03:19 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I would favor the XKR for style and luxury, and elite status, but choose the Audi for potential reliability.
And choose the Jag for actual reliability - those German cars are very over-rated for reliability and build quality (maybe once, but nowadays ...)

And if you like Audi styling, you don't have the taste to deserve an XKR.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I test drove the new S5 and RS5 before finally deciding on the Jaguar. Both were great cars with superior fit and finish. The final decision for me was simple. Unless you really know the car, the entire A5 line looks almost the same whether it's an S5 or RS5. I wanted something I don't see everyday. Yes, it's a great car, even the S5 but not all that exclusive.

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
bigdhenderson (05-24-2014), John Fox (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

same thing with the bmw's, they all look the same.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have spent a reasonable amount of time behind the wheel of an Audi S5--6speed (they are not 5 speeds as a previous poster suggested). My business partner has one, and we race it at Audi track days several times per year. It is a spectacularly silky smooth driving machine with a well crafted interior that is much nicer than any BMW. Probably the only dislike is I have is its exhaust is nearly silent so that especially on the track you need to be watching the tach rather than listening to the engine for shift points. It is a wonderful car, less expensive than an XKR and quicker than an XK even with less hp, and just a great drive. They also hold their value pretty well.

Now for the big but, it's not an XKR, not as beautiful, not as quick (as the 5.0L), not as classy, not destined to become a classic. It's a phenomenal car but it's not a Jaguar. And right after I brought home my (new to me) XKR 5.0L two nights ago, and I let my partner drive it for a little while, he put his S5 up for sale the next day (not because of his ride in the XKR). But he was shocked at the speed and acceleration of the XKR.

And by the way, if you really are looking to buy an S5, his is for sale, it is immaculate, and I don't believe it has reached 20K miles yet. It is a great car with an absolutely superb suspension.

Last edited by tberg; 05-25-2014 at 09:30 AM.
John Fox (05-25-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

One other point, the convertible S5 is a V-6 while the coupe retains the V8 even though I believe they are rated at the same horsepower.

Last edited by tberg; 05-24-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would not touch any Audi unless ownership is under manufacturer warranty. Audi is huge in my region, and so are the countless horror stories on repair costs and frequency. Only one I'd consider is an R8. Jaguar is in another league IMO. Niche vs. cookie cutter.

John Fox (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

OK, ya'll convinced......Jag it is. In reality I would have done my due diligence before buying one. Yes is it a 6 speed..... I think I posted early (for me) in the morning and was half asleep so my bad on that.

As far as not deserving a Jag because I considered an Audi....... that there is funny. Ive had Jags since it was common to have 2 because, honestly, one was always in the shop, LOL. I have been though the rough years (almost BK) and the crappy Ford years (timing chain tensioners) and given all of this I should have left for a nice Camry or something but never did. The Audi is a nice looking car but..... as mentioned earlier, they are everywhere and I noticed that while shopping yesterday. Seemed about every 15 minutes there is another one. My mind is made up, thanks guys ! The search continues !

ralphwg (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

To this day I retain a high level of Audi loyalty which may seem odd considering my time with my car.
My last experience with Audi was an 06 A4, and the maintenance horror stories for me were very true. 8 times in my 1.5 years of ownership, the Audi made trips to the shop, twice on the back of a flatbed. But then... seems Jag had that history back then as well.... I think Audi is making leaps in the market right now, and all of it good.

So the up side Audi over a Jag?
First, I am a modder..... I love to make my car better than factory, and the aftermarket world for Audi is staggering.... So I had Shocks, springs, sways, custom ECU tune, exhaust, all at a fraction of the cost in the Jag world. Audi has made an agreement with an aftermarket performance group (Stasis) that can make you car wild, and Audi still honors your factory warranty! I see this as a car company that is dedicated to the driving experience.

Second is just that... the driving experience. Audi is (when running) a fine driving car, and I enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. It was certainly one of my fond "happy place" memories.

Third is the owners themselves. Audi Club is huge.... It's general members are professionals of all ages (but, living a far more active lifestyle) and the clubs cater to driving events all over the country. In my own area I have access to all the big tracks with at least one or two events there yearly should I choose.... this is in conjunction with various gatherings for driving schools in sun, rain and snow, as well as scenic summer drives regularly. In short it is a very active group that loves to be in their cars, and sharing the road with others. In opposition, I find the Jag group very perplexing. Seems the older average age of a Jag owner make "displaying" their car far more important, than "driving" their car. Heaven forbid if a Jag owner puts "miles" on their cars! Blasphemy!
Driving back roads, rather than parking and waiting to die, is much more my cup of tea.

Don't let nay-sayers tell you quality is poor on an Audi... It is not a new Jag, but it is no slouch either. Both Jag and Audi are way ahead of the Japanese market, including Lexus (which I bought after my Audi, and promptly dumped after a year of pure boring car ownership...)

When my time with my Jag us up, I will certainly walk the Audi lots and the S5 is on my "I love that car" list. But then, so is the XF AWD, or maybe a BMW M4 or M5.... and yes, a used XKR. Life's too short to stand still and not experience it all (the XK is my 18th car and I have so many more to try before I die or sit on display like a museum piece!).

All that said... I love my jag, and have not regretted owning it for a minute. I have many more miles and road trips planned before I consider letting go of her!

Peace!

Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

As I have said in other posts, I think the S5 is truly one of the best cars I have ever driven (I liked it better than the R8 V10 that we had for a week and I've also had more than 20 cars since I began driving 45 years ago). One of the drawbacks (besides no sound from the exhaust) for me however, is that the same body depending upon engine and options can range from about $40K to about $90K. It's not dedicated to just the higher end part of the spectrum. So Audi doesn't really treat it as a "special" model. The XK/XKR has been the flagship of the Jaguar line for years and is or has been the "vessel" of choice until the F-type, for innovation, luxury, and exclusivity in the Jaguar lineup.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Where can you buy a car that looks like the XKR (major head turner), is a GT (quasi usable rear seat), full aluminum body and chassis, refined leather interior including dash, over 500 hp and close to 500 lbs of tq., refined ride and handling qualities, excellent sound, excellent braking, and so much fun to drive for the price. There is no match for the Jaguar XKR today and if Jaguar reinvents the XKR it will cost 50% more. I too get tied quickly from driving the same car, but there is nothing available that comes close to the XKR for the price.

Matt in Houston (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I looked at Audis before buying my XKR. The supercharged S4 caught my eye and I wondered why that motor was not available in the A5. After I bought my XKR it was, but no worries. I would still have bought the Jag as I'd had my fill of stealthy vehicles. Also, the Jag stands out over the A5 these days. Still very few XK/XKRs around by comparison.