XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Metaphorical Question: Are Jag Owners Shallow People?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
In any group of car owners beyond basic transportation, there is going to be some percentage of people that buy the car to show off an brag. Those people are shallow. If you buy the car because it makes you happy for whatever reason, then you're in the clear.
Can you be both.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't think anyone who owns an XK is shallow. Maybe a little vain or in some cases snobbery seems to be the theme (must use dealer provided air in the tires, etc) but overall the XK group seems much more exclusive versus the S type or poor X typers. The XJ's seem more refined and the F types more sporty.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

For me it is rather simple. There is nothing on the road like a Jaguar. I have been driving Jaguars since 1974. I now have my 3rd XK (2 XKs & 1 XKR). I have had two XJRs, an XJS, Several XJ12Ls, and XJ 6s. After Ford bought Jaguar and improved the build quality I have driven them on multiple road trips throughout the USA and each one has been a great road car, has looked special and the interior has mostly been terrific. In sum IMO any Jaguar is special and X150's are more so.

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

The definition of shallow is something that is not deep or someone who is concerned only about silly or inconsequential things. An example of shallow is a person who only cares about someone's looks and how much money they have.

I can see where people who are not familiar with the XK or their owners might think this. The perception is that we paid a lot of money for our cars and want to flaunt it.

Though we have a large diversity of income among the people on this Forum, I would like to think that those of us who own an XK and participate in this Forum do not care how much money each of us has.

As far as someone who only cares about how someone (or something) looks, one of the reasons we bought are car is how it looks and to some extent how we look in it. But that is definitely not the only reason we bought and love the XK.

Among Jaguar owners, pragmatic or proud may be a better adjective to describe us.

We love our XKR, love to drive it, and love to show it off. We like it when other people enjoy it too.
But it is a misconception to think we are shallow.

The following 2 users liked this post by Knomad:
110reef (03-23-2018), ralphwg (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

There is something about owning a Jaguar that garners a lot of attention.

I have a lot of friends that have other luxury car brands including Audi, BMW and Mercedes. When one of them shows up with their car, it seems to go unnoticed.

Every where I show up with the Jaguar (both my XK and my XF), people come out and take a look. Even my friends with their luxury vehicles have made a special point of checking out my car. When I park in a parking lot, people come over to look. People see the car and ask questions. It's not that Jag's cost much more or less than other luxury cars, but Jag's are more rare. They look different and unique.

The other day, I parked my car at the back end of a parking lot, far away from all other cars. No other cars anywhere close. When I came out of the store, there was now a BMW and a Mercedes parked near me!

If liking this extra attention makes me shallow, then I guess I am shallow.

Finally, I love driving a Jag. Jag's have a very different feel and driving experience than those other luxury cars. My brother-in-law drove my car the other day for the first time. He has always owned BMW's and Audi's. His reaction was, "Wow"!

Ken