XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Module under cup-holder

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Module under cup-holder

If you lift out the cup-holder in my 2012 'S', there's a black flap which hinges upwards, and underneath that there's a module with an orange ribbon attached to it (that I assume can be used for pulling the module out). My 2007 'R' doesn't have anything under the cup-holder. Anyone know what this module is?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I believe that's the Emergency Park Release, which manually puts the transmission in Neutral:

The emergency park release consists of an operating lever that is connected to a park interlock lever on the transmission by an upper and lower cable assembly.

One end of the operating lever is attached to a base by a hinge pin. A locking cylinder is installed in the other end of the operating lever, to secure the operating lever to the base. A strap is attached to the operating lever, next to the locking cylinder, to pull on when raising the operating lever. The base is installed on top of the transmission tunnel, under the cubby box of the floor console. An access panel for the operating lever is located under the twin cup holder in the cubby box.

The park interlock lever is attached to the transmission selector shaft.

When operated, the emergency park release turns the transmission selector shaft and locks the transmission in neutral.

In the event of the vehicle requiring recovery, the park lock can be released manually with the use of the emergency park release mechanism. To release the park lock:

 Remove the trim cover from the rear of the floor console and locate the emergency park release lever.
 Rotate the locking mechanism of the lever 90 degrees counterclockwise.
 Apply the footbrake, pull the lever upwards and ensure it is locked in the vertical position.

Raising the emergency park release lever causes the emergency park release cable to rotate the park interlock lever on the transmission, which disengages the parking pawl and engages neutral. This allows the vehicle to freewheel.

To re-engage the park lock:

 Hold the strap on the emergency park release lever, release the latch and lower the lever to the horizontal position.
 Lock the lever by turning the locking mechanism 90 degrees clockwise.
 Install the trim cover.

The following users liked this post:
Del Boy (04-19-2014)