XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Jaguar "Alive" driving experience...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default My Jaguar "Alive" driving experience...

So my wife and I went to the Jaguar Alive Driving Experience in Atlanta this past Saturday, December 1st.

She's getting a new XJL and she was able to drive a new one and experience it sans going to the dealer. My reaction to the XJ is that it looks soooo roomy...but it is similar to the size of my wife's current 05 Vanden Plas (size wise). Fantastic car...did not hear any creaks or cracks when driving...supercharged car is powerful. Beautiful interior. She also drove it through a course that was setup to demonstrate how it does in snow, ice, sand, and such. She was impressed with the car.

I think the Lola pole dancer on the dash will complete the interior look.

Drove a 5L XKR around a course...I don't remember how long it was but there were curves of different types including 90 degree turns and slalom. My time was 39.793. I realize that doesn't mean much without knowing more about the course.

Drove an XKR-S...it was a straightline, *****-to-the-wall acceleration, and they also videoed the driver. They're supposed to be sending me that. I may post it depending on how idiotic I look. I did not feel a great deal of difference between the XKR-S and my 5L in acceleration. I guess you would need to get to the upper top end to experience the add'l 40 horses. I prefer the seats in my XKR, although the seats in the XKR-S aren't bad...just prefer mine over the "racing" seats. I just did not feel a big difference between my 5L and the XKR-S. Coming from a 4.2L the difference would be significant.

They did not have an F-Type there..they've had them at some of these events. I thought it was interesting that they had 5 XKR-S's there. I thought that was interesting considering how limited they are in production right now.

Wasn't interested in the XF at all...just not a fan of the XF.

Apparently the CX16 is moving along. Jay Leno has put down a $1 Million reservation for the very first one. Although they have not decided to go into production quite yet, but are close. And if you'd like you may put in a reservation as well. Over 1100 horsepower from the 4 electric motors - one on each wheel. No internal combustion engine, will have two gas turbines to generate electricity.

And I got a hat, a coffee mug, and a 2Gb USB in the shape of a key fob!!!!

We had a great time.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Sounds like a good time...thanks for sharing. If your video isn't worthy perhaps you could post a pic of the hat and mug

The XJ is such a beautiful car. I'd be afraid to own one for fear of preferring it's opulence over my other more sporty rides. Maybe when I grow up! Which XJL model did she decide on?

I think Jay must be getting a CX100, or whatever it is called, as the CX16 was the concept name for the F-Type. I recall seeing him drive one in an episode of his show.

Bruce

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Ohhh, sorry, that's the CX75...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

sounds awesome. im still waiting for Jag to reschedule the NYC one

Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
...perhaps you could post a pic of the hat and mug ...
Bruce
Bruce,

Here they are:

The cap is one-size-fits-all and the back is embroidered with "How ALIVE Are You?" The mug is insulated for hot and cold drinks, has a screw cap with a push-button valve dispenser. Both are very nice freebies!

Rodney,

I was there, too, with my son-in-law, and want to thank you for a great write-up. I wanted to add a few things. First and foremost, this event far exceeded my expectations, even though I had previously read about it on Jaguar's website and seen videos on YouTube. Everything is First Class!

Jaguar does this event in various locations and they bring everything in several 18-wheelers, including the cars and portable buildings. When you enter the main building, you sign in and are greeted by hosts who direct you to the beverage and food buffet. A rep was there who explained the cutaway "R" supercharger and cutaway turbocharger for the new 4-cylinder engine. The building was lined with historic Jaguar photos. Hosts then call you by group for the presentation.

First stop in the main building was orientation in the separate 32-seat video theater, where XJ, XF, and XKR-S models were available for you to sit in before the presentation began. The spokesperson was Lorraine McKiniry from the Velocity Channel's "What's My Car Worth" show. See:https://www.facebook.com/LorraineMcKiniry She did a great job narrating the history of Jaguar and other videos, including Steve McQueen and his love of his XK-SS. Lorraine is much better in person than on her TV show and is a true gearhead; she is a valuable asset for Jaguar.

The driving experience was broken down into 4 parts. The first, was to drive a XJ (or 470HP XJSupercharged or 510HP XJR) in a caravan without an instructor in the back seat on the city streets around Six Flags amusement park outside Atlanta. After that, you could choose which other events you wanted to do. There was the "snow" covered hill and skidpads to experience before and after on/off traction tests in the 2013 supercharged V6 4WD XJ sedan. And a slow-speed drive around for as long as you wished to try out all the features of various cars. I can't decide which event I liked the best - flat-out in the XKR-S in a straight (almost) line or flat-out in an XKR around the timed road course. Both experiences were fantastic!

One other thing - Jaguar has professional instructors - experienced race drivers - ride with you in all of the events, except for the drive around town. One of the hosts at the XJ 4wd experience was Roberto Guerrero, former Formula 1 and Indy car champion. See: Where Are They Now? Roberto Guerrero | The Official Blog of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

BOTTOM LINE: Event was by invitation only, and sells out fast. Go to JaguarUSA's website and sign up: Jaguar ALIVE Driving Experience | Jaguar USA If you get an invitation in the mail, be sure to reserve a spot that day.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-04-2012 at 08:40 AM.