XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Navi "Most functions are inhibited..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Navi "Most functions are inhibited..."

I fully expected the navi on my new (to me) XK to be almost unusable while in motion. But, to my (very pleasant) surprise, I haven't run into anything "inhibited" in the navi controls while in motion. Could it be that the previous owner disabled something? Mind you, I'm not complaining. But if something has been done to the car to accomplish this, I just want to know about it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

I too would like to know if there is a process for disabling the "no-search" while in motion. On my Range Rover you can search while moving, which is a big help much of time.

By the way, I see you are in Roseville, we live near Lake Tahoe and have a winter home in Granite Bay, not far from you.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine seems to function fully when in motion too (2012 model). Can search/set new destinations etc. no problem.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2010 XKR is mostly disabled while in motion. I would like to be able to disable that "feature" or enable voice control so that my passenger can change destinations and so on while in motion.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

This seems to be the norm for all of these in-dash nav. systems. We are being told that it is a safety feature so that it doesn't become to much of a distraction to the driver while driving. I can see how that happens and it probably is as dangerous as texting while driving. One of the guys on my Lexus site came up with a way to do it. The Lexus nav. gets a signal from the speedometer which disables the features . The modification was to go into the dash and splice a switch into this wire. By switching the line he could use all of the features while the car was in motion. After making any changes he switched it back on and the nav. system ran as intended. Also when the unit was switched off you would not get location updates until you switched it back on.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by carealtor
I fully expected the navi on my new (to me) XK to be almost unusable while in motion. But, to my (very pleasant) surprise, I haven't run into anything "inhibited" in the navi controls while in motion. Could it be that the previous owner disabled something? Mind you, I'm not complaining. But if something has been done to the car to accomplish this, I just want to know about it.
Any chance you can locate the previous owner and find out. You could sell that knowledge to many of us!

PS. Dave and I are both your neighbor. Only I am stuck in Granite Bay year round!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This seems to be the norm for all of these in-dash nav. systems. We are being told that it is a safety feature so that it doesn't become to much of a distraction to the driver while driving. I can see how that happens and it probably is as dangerous as texting while driving. One of the guys on my Lexus site came up with a way to do it. The Lexus nav. gets a signal from the speedometer which disables the features . The modification was to go into the dash and splice a switch into this wire. By switching the line he could use all of the features while the car was in motion. After making any changes he switched it back on and the nav. system ran as intended. Also when the unit was switched off you would not get location updates until you switched it back on.
On the XK/XKR all telemetry is via messages on the internal networks...no separate speed signals. It could be a software switch though.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

From the responses so far, all owners of 2012s (including a Range Rover) can accesses the Navi controls while in motion, while older models cannot. Any 2012 owners out there who's Navi is "inhibited" while in motion? It would be interesting if a lot of people of various model years could respond to this thread and let us know if your Navi is inhibited.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

2012 XKR with a build date of 09/2011

As you can read, most functions inhibited while in motion.

Name:  IMG_7367_zps31023e4c.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.6 KB

Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I've a 2007 XK that is inhibited when in motion. It's my GUESS that any car that has Voice Control/Command for the nav, can input new/differnt locations while moving. It's that way on my SL that has voice control/command of the nav system. Like I said, my Guess. No hands needed for Voice Command vs touch screen only.