Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Admin and Forum Member Asst Pls...Jaguar USA Petition

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation Need Admin and Forum Member Asst Pls...Jaguar USA Petition

Ok, I've done enough research to know that brake dust is a major problem on every current and new model Jag's from all I've read here on the XK,XJ and XF forums not to mention this Brake Dust: A Problem That's Not Really a Problem - NYTimes.com

I've owned my car for a just a few days and the wheels are not just dirty but FILTHY, if I would have known is this was such a problem I may not have bought a Jag.

Would the Admin please be kind enough to help with posting/creating a thread that will post in all current model forums simultaneously, with a petition we can all electronically sign to insist Jaguar/TaTa to finally issue a TSB to put and end to this disgusting brake dust problem.

Having to buy sprays, ceramic pads, covers, constantly be washing the wheels should not be necessary; this in not 1985 where most every european car had filthy black front wheels from brake dust!

As I've posted in other threads there are plenty of high performance cars with quiet low dust brakes that perform exceptionally well ie the Porsche 911 for one.

Let's all pitch in and get something to Jag. If the admin helps to coordinate it here, I will call Jaguar and direct them to the petition posted. It would also be nice to have links to all the many threads were Jag owners are complaining of this problem listed in the petition.

We would be asking for something very reasonable that would also help increase Jags JD Power #'s.

Brake dust is a normal byproduct of braking but in Jaguar's case it's EXCESSiVE, UNACCEPTABLE and COMPLETELY UNECESSARY for this caliber of automobile!

BTW, Lexus, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc have all issued TSB's at one point to change out their brakes pads; this was an excellent showing of good will that went a long way with their customers.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 02-26-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

RJC,
Good luck trying to talk technical to Jaguar Cars; I've tried to talk unsuccessfully to them for 50 years. Even tried the UK too; answer was "we are not allowed to talk to the colonies (my words!); we will send your comments to New Jersey!" Never heard a thing because they are only SALES people (there words!).............

However I do agree brakes are really dirty buggers.
If you do somehow reach someone technical please ask them why is the speedo/tach reversed and why is gas tank filler on wrong side! The XK8's had it right! so is that continuous progress? no.................

But it is still Gorgeous............

Good Luck, you have my support, Adrian 2007, XK Coupe, 2000 XK8 Conv.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
RJC

Thanks Adrian. There is strength in numbers and that's why I'm suggesting a petition being posted in every forum. With this being a problem that crosses across the entire model line the voices can be numerous.

I will present links to Jag USA and TaTa and where ever else you guys think is appropriate.

This problem is hurting their JD Power numbers so it will help them to help us!

I'm new to English cars, is this an English car thing?

Last edited by RJC; 02-26-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Sure is, RJC.................I should know was born and educated there! Left there in 1957, 'the brain drain'. I am an American Citizen by choice!

Good luck..............Adrian

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
RJC

Thanks for the insight Adrian. I wish others here would want to get involved. I wonder if I'll get more response from the XJ and XF areas since they are higher volume cars?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

OK I'll chime in on this. First of all I'll definately support your crusade and any petition to address the brake dust.

However as another Brit who's established his life and family on these great shores I dont totally agree with my fellow countryman that this is an English thing. Now I'm not an expert on this as I never owned a British made car until the XK but I dont recall Rovers or MG's suffering like this. I tell a lie - I did. I owned a Morris Marina straight out of University. What a piece of cr#p that was. You were lucky if the old British Leyland cars stopped at all let alone create brake dust. However I do think Mercedes and other German automakers are just as bad.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
RJC

Thanks Stjryer

We need this thread (maybe tiitled differenty) to read ***BRAKE DUST TSB PETITION Please Read*** cross posted in all the current model forums.

Regent can you please help out here? Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 02-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

OK, I am doing this for you

Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RegentV12
OK, I am doing this for you
Regent, you forgot to put the link to this thread in the others...but the New York Times article you posted was rather interesting.

Responses to the thread in the XF/XFR forum indicate that a number of "low dust" pads have been tried by members and were no better than stock, despite them being successful on other cars. Not encouraging.

Brake dust is genuinely annoying. I do love the brakes though, and have little interest in trying other pads in an effort to resolve the problem. If Jaguar comes up with a solution I'm in, but while I'm waiting I intend to find a washing gizmo or technique to make the cleaning job easier.

Bruce

Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
RJC

Thanks very much Regent.

Yes the NY Times link I had originally posted shows how this affected JD Power numbers and is why if Jag does issue a TSB it would be good for them and us too.

Guys lets all chime in and once we have enough support I'll notify Jag/TaTa and direct them to the thread

Last edited by RJC; 03-01-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for this. It is a huge inconvenience. My last car was a BMW 750 and it was even worse. Let's make some noises about this problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default dust

I had a Chrysler 300c that was equal to if not more brake dust then my XJ now. I'm thinking its a many car problem.

But It would be great if they could mske it go way some how.

Attached Thumbnails Need Admin and Forum Member Asst Pls...Jaguar USA Petition-nralife.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Well to be honest guys I don't own a XJ / XK / XF or any other Jaguar for that matter now.
I did have an X type some years ago which was a great car.....yes it produced brake dust as ALL cars do but didn't seem any better or worse than others I've owned.

My Audi A6 and my wifes VW Passat both generate brake dust which is damn annoying, but its a feature of braking unfortunately....lol
I really don't think there's a way around it, or it certainly hasn't been invented as far as I can see.

I can wash my car and detail her having it looking great. A quick trip to the shops meaning a round trip of maybe 3-4 miles and there's a light dusting there already, even with light braking.

I had the same with all my Ford Mondeos, Vauxhall Astra and Vectra!!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you're trying to achieve.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM
RJC

Thanks Jim, there are great pads offered on cars like the 911 that stop exceptionally well and give off about half the dust than Jag...There is no reason Jag can't offer the same.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM
RJC

Check this thread out, this is a perfect example of a fix by MBUSA

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w2...t-no-more.html

Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a conspiricy with Armor All to sell their wheel protection. I spend a ton of money on buy cans and cans of it. It does help a lot and I can keep the wheel relatively clean for a couple of weeks but that sucker is expensive and a can won't last more than a couple of car washes.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You can sign me up!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by Holein1
I think there is a conspiricy with Armor All to sell their wheel protection. I spend a ton of money on buy cans and cans of it. It does help a lot and I can keep the wheel relatively clean for a couple of weeks but that sucker is expensive and a can won't last more than a couple of car washes.
I wonder about that stuff getting on the rotors, any braking squeaks?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Brake dust

I have a 2001 XKR and I changed my front pads at 40K I put these on

BrakeBest Select Ceramic - Brake Pads
Part # C805 UPC: 54199031079
$52

From O'Reilleys Autoparts

It solved the dust problem and they still are only 2/3 worn at 54K. Note I tend to get 15K miles out of pads/tires.

Simon

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Brake dust is a normal byproduct of braking but in Jaguar's case it's EXCESSiVE, UNACCEPTABLE and COMPLETELY UNECESSARY for this caliber of automobile!

BTW, Lexus, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc have all issued TSB's at one point to change out their brakes pads; this was an excellent showing of good will that went a long way with their customers.

Thanks
Based on the responses, I wonder how many believe this statement to be actually true, and that's maybe the reason there has been such little response and support.

I also wonder if the wheel design allows more dust to be deposited on the visible parts of the wheel, giving the impression that the brakes are generating an excessive amount of dust. Perhaps the airflow that's directed to the brakes and wheel hubs direct dust and heat to the outside of the wheel. In my case the double and twisted spoke design certainly makes the dust awkward to easily wash off...but all this doesn't mean the pad material is inferior, or to blame.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 03-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.