XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need help on the puddle light LED mod

Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need help on the puddle light LED mod

This morning I started the cool LED Leaper LED mod for the puddle lights. I got the existing puddle light put with no problem. They snapped right out only using finger pressure. I disconnected the electrical harness from both passenger and driver side doors.

Everything was moving along fine until I cut the wires to the existing lights. My plan was to use pinch connectors to run power to the new LED's and the existing puddle lights.

I wired up and connected the LED's and the puddle wiring all nice and tight....then nothing.

No power at all to either the LED's or the puddle lights. I put a multi meter on the wires coming from the car and they are dead as door nails.

All the other lights in the interior work fine. I looked in the owner's manual at the fuse diagram and could not find anything for the puddle lights. All the switches on the doors, windows, etc. work fine.

Any ideas on what might have caused the puddle light circuit to go dead?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The led s use a 2.7 volt supply so in cutting the wires you could have shorted out that built in resistor, sooooo get new leds 2.5 mm in diameter at 2.7 to 3. volts solder a 1000 ohm resistor in one wire of the led and make sure you hook the long lead of the led to positive
(as leds will only work if hooked up with correct polarity). If you did burn out the existing resistor you will have to solder the new one in its place.

The following users liked this post:
kyle191 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle191
This morning I started the cool LED Leaper LED mod for the puddle lights. I got the existing puddle light put with no problem. They snapped right out only using finger pressure. I disconnected the electrical harness from both passenger and driver side doors.

Everything was moving along fine until I cut the wires to the existing lights. My plan was to use pinch connectors to run power to the new LED's and the existing puddle lights.

I wired up and connected the LED's and the puddle wiring all nice and tight....then nothing.

No power at all to either the LED's or the puddle lights. I put a multi meter on the wires coming from the car and they are dead as door nails.

All the other lights in the interior work fine. I looked in the owner's manual at the fuse diagram and could not find anything for the puddle lights. All the switches on the doors, windows, etc. work fine.

Any ideas on what might have caused the puddle light circuit to go dead?

Thanks.
Did you try connecting the original wires up again and closing and opening the door again to see will the original light work.

kyle191 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM

thanks guys.

felinecat...the trouble is not with the LED's. They work fine. I hooked them to a small 12v battery I have for my motorcycle. They light up like a Christmas tree. The issue is that the wire leads coming from the car itself that power the puddle lights are dead.

powerhouse.....I'll put the wires back together and close the doors and see if that has any effect. I sure hope so.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

How long was the door open while you were doing the change. I don't know if the Jag has a time out function for the door lights if they have been left on for a long period of time. I have had other cars that would turn off the door and overhead interior lights if the door was left open to long.

kyle191 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Jagtoes.....good point!!!! I am sure there is a timer relay in there some where that shuts off power after a certain time. I'll check this evening. Stupid job is in the way right now. Can you believe they actually expect me to get some work done on a Monday???

Sheesh the nerve of some people

Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 PM

Yes!!!!!! Victory is mine!!!! Got the LED lights in with no muss or fuss. They work like a champ and they look REALLY cool.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I highly recommend this modification. It is $25 bucks and take 30 minutes for both doors.