Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Owner in Dallas, TX

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner in Dallas, TX

Hello everyone,

After a three-year search, I finally have pulled the trigger on a 2012 XKR Coupe, black on charcoal, 43k miles. Having only spent two days with the car, I have much to learn.

Perhaps oddly to some, I drove the V8 F-Type and preferred the XKR, both on looks and on its intended use. I have a Lotus for pure performance driving, and the XKR fits perfectly for a GT cruiser for longer trips. The F-Type would fit in the middle of these two (in my opinion) as it is just too heavy for a pure performance application. Plus, the XK is just timelessly gorgeous from nearly every angle.

I have been lurking for a long while, trying to learn about this platform, and I must say that you guys/gals are very helpful, just like the Lotus forum (but a bit better behaved!!).

Right now I'm struggling with the iPod/iPad interface, the homelink-type paring to the gate and garage doors, etc., but that's just teething stuff I'll need to sort out.

Stephen.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner in Dallas, TX-resize.jpeg  
Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats! I think you will find that many others here also prefer the XK over the FType. Good choice!

Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum. You 'll find lots of helpful information here. Learn to use the search function - almost every question you may have has already been asked and answered, including iPod interface and Homelink, as the X150 is almost 10 years old.

I agree - timelessly gorgeous. Let us know how often you look in your garage before you go to sleep!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
lighterthanair (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Welcome aboard. This is a terrific place and made so by the participants. The XK series are excellent GTs, that have a timeless classic beauty.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Stephen: welcome and congratulations! Black on black - gorgeous.
You are probably aware of this but if you are not using the XKR almost daily, it would be a good idea to keep it on a battery maintainer (CTEK being the preferred brand) to avoid random electronic gremlins. These cars like full battery voltage at all times.
Apart from that minor caveat, they are amazing machines and as you have said, beautiful. But you said "from nearly every angle" . Remove the word "nearly" and you have my agreement.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
lighterthanair (06-12-2016), richzak (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Welcome and congratulations. I, too, prefer the X150 body to that of the F-type, though I think the f-type is a terrific car as well. With a Lotus in your garage, there's no need to take the XKR to the track, however, it is certainly a capable performer when called for that duty. I take mine 2 or 3 times a year without any problems. The forum, here, is invaluable for information and advice. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails New Owner in Dallas, TX-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian-1024x683-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lighterthanair (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum. You 'll find lots of helpful information here. Learn to use the search function - almost every question you may have has already been asked and answered, including iPod interface and Homelink, as the X150 is almost 10 years old.

I agree - timelessly gorgeous. Let us know how often you look in your garage before you go to sleep!

Stuart

Stuart, I'm actually considering sleeping in the garage, between the two....I've been fiddling with the Homelink all morning with no joy. Found your how-to and am about to try it.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Stephen: welcome and congratulations! Black on black - gorgeous.
You are probably aware of this but if you are not using the XKR almost daily, it would be a good idea to keep it on a battery maintainer (CTEK being the preferred brand) to avoid random electronic gremlins. These cars like full battery voltage at all times.
Apart from that minor caveat, they are amazing machines and as you have said, beautiful. But you said "from nearly every angle" . Remove the word "nearly" and you have my agreement.
Thanks for the welcome....I already have a CTEK for the Elise, and will get another for the XKR this week. They are great at what they do, and seemingly bulletproof...

Actually, the only angle I question on the XK is "high front." A low-front angle is better, and every other one is just stunning.

I actually live and work overseas and my brother-in-law drives the Lotus (and now the Jaguar) weekly for 10 miles, then puts them to bed on the CTEK. I retire soon, but both will be waiting for me. Heck, the Lotus only has 7000 miles on the clock, so there is a bit of catching up to do.

Thanks again for the welcome,

Stephen.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sharx8
Congrats! I think you will find that many others here also prefer the XK over the FType. Good choice!
It was a tough choice. I figured that if I got the F-Type I should sell the Lotus. But then, that's unlikely to ever happen. It would be like selling my dog. And I knew I'd still lust after the XK design. It's kinda funny, but the dealership kept going on about how the XKR is "dated" relative to the XK. He didn't realize that another way to look at it is "timeless."

Stephen.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, from another Dallas owner

Old 06-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by lighterthanair
After a three-year search, ...
Welcome, and wow, what patience!
We should put you up for sainthood.

I had to pull the trigger within a month of trying one, and then on one that was sight-unseen.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Lighterthanair, here is the Amazon link to the iPod cable I purchased. The price is more than I paid but that was what I ordered, it is working great plus being longer allows iPod to lay on console for easy use. I can control song choices and volume from the steering wheel.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM

Thank you, Jerry, I just ordered it. Hopefully this will do the trick.....Stephen.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Welcome to our addiction.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Welcome to our addiction.
Ha! It's another one to add to the list! Fortunately they are all healthy addictions.

I am wondering about the people who own XKs....I was driving yesterday when I saw another XK. I pulled alongside and waved, and the lady promptly changed lanes and sped up and away without acknowledgement at all. Is this normal?

In my wife's Mini and in my Lotus, everyone seems much friendlier....just wondering, as the XKR is a fairly rare beast on the roads.

Stephen.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Stuart, I'm actually considering sleeping in the garage, between the two....I've been fiddling with the Homelink all morning with no joy. Found your how-to and am about to try it.

Thanks,

Stephen.
Just a note on the homelink. If you have a new garage door opener it may not work. I just installed a new Chamberline/Liftmaster wifi opener and it requires a converter to make my car buttons work. I just ordered it and should have it in a few days. If you have an older opener then you should not have a problem following the instructions. good luck

Old 06-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I am wondering about the people who own XKs....I was driving yesterday when I saw another XK. I pulled alongside and waved, and the lady promptly changed lanes and sped up and away without acknowledgement at all. Is this normal?

Stephen.
It's hard to say if this is normal, Stephen. What do you look like? Do people flee from you often?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
It's hard to say if this is normal, Stephen. What do you look like? Do people flee from you often?
Ha! All the time. But not in the Lotus or Mini.

Stephen.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just a note on the homelink. If you have a new garage door opener it may not work. I just installed a new Chamberline/Liftmaster wifi opener and it requires a converter to make my car buttons work. I just ordered it and should have it in a few days. If you have an older opener then you should not have a problem following the instructions. good luck

I do in fact have the LiftMaster 8500, which is a side unit. I'll look for a converter online. Thanks,

Stephen.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

...and big Welcome from me new XK-R bud!