XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Newbie looking for XKR purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie looking for XKR purchase advice

My local Jaguar dealer has a used 2011 XKR on sale. One owner, 32,000 miles. This is not a CPO car, just normal used.

I'm going to go take a look at it. I would welcome helpful tips and cautions from existing owners on things to ask about and to look out for. I have never owned a Jag.

I of course know basics about cars and the purchase process. I am not asking for a primer on how to buy a used car. Just things that might be peculiar to the XKR (especially in that year range) from those of you with the same automobile.

I am particularly interested in:
Known problem areas? Things to examine carefully on the physical car?
Is 32K getting too high in the expected normal lifespan for this year/model?
Things to lookout for during the test drive?

I would also welcome your opinions on the following items that give me some concern:

1) Luggage space for two adults on extended road trips. Can you get two real suitcases in the trunk without having to buy custom luggage?

2) Electronics response. This is often listed as a sore point. Speed of response in the nav system (are other electronic controls affected as well?). Does it drive you crazy, or is it merely not as optimal as it could be? Has it been bad enough for you to use a portable GPS instead?

3) Ease of mounting a radar detector. I am a Valentine One fan. Is there a convenient place to put the small remote display unit?

4) MP3 playing. Can you easily connect a portable MP3 player to the sound system to listen to your own music?

Thanks so much for any tips you are willing to share. All the best,
--Ken

Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

MP3's and iPods can be conncected. Not sure if the module is standard on your model year, but if not it's like $500 installed. GPS is fine enough, hardly class leading but does the job. Easily two carry on's or one check in and one carry on. Back seat can hold a little too (on coupe's I am talking about). The cover to the trunk comes off if you want more storage, just won't be hidden.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Wouldn't an '11 with 32K mi still be under the original factory warranty?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Yes it would. Getting things short-term fixed would not be a major issue. But if you know where to look for common problem areas on a used car and you find some of them, it can often be a good indicator that there are other things you don't initially see which will be coming at you later. Maybe the previous owner didn't take such good care of it. If they are still present and haven't been fixed, it can be a red flag right there. That's why I look to this group for help in knowing where to focus for warning signs that are known to pop up with the model and year.

Moses, thank you for the reassurances on some of my more general usability questions.

I already know the car is pretty, the car is powerful, and the car has features I like. Making a purchase decision on an individual used specimen has to be about more specific details.

I appreciate the help! Keep 'em coming.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have an 012 XK with built-in k40 radar detectors (front & rear) and a laser defuser built into the front license plate frame. Professional installation cost about $900 in labor plus the cost of the units. So the answer to your question is yes.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I haven't found a nav system yet that beats a smartphone, but it works if you want to use it. The turn by turn announcements are accurate. I'm pretty used to the slower response otherwise, and it doesn't bug me. There is a USB and iPod connector, but the sound system could be a little better balanced in my opinion. Storage-wise you might be surprised at how much you can cram into that thing.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
My local Jaguar dealer has a used 2011 XKR on sale. One owner, 32,000 miles. This is not a CPO car, just normal used.

I'm going to go take a look at it. I would welcome helpful tips and cautions from existing owners on things to ask about and to look out for. I have never owned a Jag.

I of course know basics about cars and the purchase process. I am not asking for a primer on how to buy a used car. Just things that might be peculiar to the XKR (especially in that year range) from those of you with the same automobile.

I would also welcome your opinions on the following items that give me some concern:

1) Luggage space for two adults on extended road trips. Can you get two real suitcases in the trunk without having to buy custom luggage?

2) Electronics response. This is often listed as a sore point. Speed of response in the nav system (are other electronic controls affected as well?). Does it drive you crazy, or is it merely not as optimal as it could be? Has it been bad enough for you to use a portable GPS instead?

3) Ease of mounting a radar detector. I am a Valentine One fan. Is there a convenient place to put the small remote display unit?

4) MP3 playing. Can you easily connect a portable MP3 player to the sound system to listen to your own music?

Thanks so much for any tips you are willing to share. All the best,
--Ken
Ken,

1) Regarding luggage, if you use soft-sided bags, you should be able to take everything you need. Does the 2011 you're looking at have an actual compact spare or an inflator kit? If no spare, you can stow stuff in the well. My car came with an inflator kit, but I subsequently bought a spare - I'm old school and still need the security blanket!

If you're planning on taking extended road trips, you might want to look for a car with Adaptive Cruise Control. ACC was optional on 2011 models and can be easily identified by the 2 knobs on the right side of the steering wheel. Non-ACC models have only 1 knob. I have ACC on my 2009 and love it, but some folks hate it. Note that ACC was standard equipment on the 2010 XKR.

2) Sure, the Nav and touch screen are slower than most others, but I have no problem with them. Actually, I prefer the Nav on my Droid smartphone because it shows real-time traffic on both interstates and city streets for free. I used to have XM Nav Traffic on my LS460 but dropped it because it was more wrong than right, didn't show city street traffic, and wasn't worth the cost. Like many other manufacturers, Jaguar blanks out portions of screens when the car is moving for safety reasons. Annoying, but that's the way the lawyers said to design it.

3) Can't help you with the radar detector, but I'm sure a good installer can find a way to mount it without putting any holes in the dashboard, which is leather and not vinyl. Just be sure that you will be able to remove it without marring any surfaces.

4) As for MP3 playing, the iPod/MP3 connector was standard equipment starting with the 2009 model. It is in the center console. I'm not sure what information, if any, your MP3 player will display on the touchscreen when in Audio mode, so bring it with you on your test drive and try it out. My iPod Nano (5th Gen) displays various info on my touchscreen and is can be controlled (song selection, volume, etc.) from the steering wheel controls and the touchscreen. (Added 1/27/2013): Note that the OEM connector doesn't charge my iPod Nano while it is playing. Quick, easy, and inexpensive fix is to buy a Scosche passPORT charging adapter (Amazon $16.13
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories
I ordered one today and will let you know if it works (I hope so!). I'll post this as a new thread - "iPod Charge While Playing".

Hope this helps, and good luck buying your XKR. You won't regret it!

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-28-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add Scosche to paragraph 4)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

--Ken
There have been no known problems reported on this forum for the 2010+ years I don't think. There's been only two owners that I can recall that had some isolated issues, but that would be the case for any vehicle. The over-whelming experience here is that the car is very well built, and for many, the best car they've ever owned.

I think 32k is very high for the year, and I would think checking some on-line listings would show under 10k to be more common. Just factor it into the price if you like the car.

I don't need Nav often at all, but have found it worked well when I did. If I have ACC on my 2010 I'm not aware of it, and only ocassionally use it on my daily driver, selecting its regular cruise control for most use in traffic. My wife and I have done two weekends away and managed to get everything into the limited trunk space of the convertible with top folded, with only purse and track helmet bag on the back seat, which could have been used for much more if necessary. On one return trip we stopped and did a week's food shopping and REALLY utilized the back seat! It's certainly doable and fun with soft luggage, and a little care when packing them.

Here's how the first weekend went...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ellence-72463/

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 01-18-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Loving the feedback and the support, guys! Thanks so much.

Bruce, I just read your Trifecta story and that's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for with my car. Sounds great!

Heading over to the dealer today. Gotta let a little dusting of snow melt off first.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I think 32k is very high for the year, and I would think checking some on-line listings would show under 10k to be more common.
Hah! Never trust what a doofus posts on a forum board. I'm referring to myself. I got two different listings mixed up in my memory when I wrote that. The 2011 I am looking at has 12,000 miles. That's a lot more reasonable!

Thanks for fact-checking me.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Perfect...let us know how you make out at the dealer!

Bruce

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM

I was a little surprised by some of my impressions. I'm coming from 13 years of driving a Corvette (and many years before that with sporty little cars). Just so you know where my comparison biases lie. This is a much larger, heavier, substantial (and luxurious) car.

There is plenty to like, which is what I expected. I certainly see why you owners in this thread are happy with your rides. The ride quality is nice, the overall form and aesthetics are glorious (natch), it is able to pick up and move in a surprisingly subtle way. I found myself well above posted speed limits on a short test drive without "feeling the speed" in the seat of my pants as I'm used to!

My negative impressions (and again, I would like to state that I have no desire to be a negative forum troll or detract from anybody else's priorities and preferences) are:

1) It was no easier to get into/out of than my Vette. That really high door sill requires quite a leg raise. I thought it would be easier on the back during entry/egress and now I don't think that's true.

2) The seat cushions were stiffer and less luxurious than I thought they would be by looking at them. I am used to that in a sports car, but assumed this would be a little softer and comfier.

3) There was a surprising amount of fan noise from the seat ventilators. Very prominent. Is this normal, or a problem on my test vehicle?

4) My girlfriend likes to lean her seat back and nap on road trips. I tried it and found that the back seat interference mechanics are more severe than I expected. The amount of lean is restricted and the automatic slide forward had my knees hitting the dashboard. Not as comfortable as I hoped (for her).

5) I have been used to a head-up display for a long time now. I found it annoying to have to look down for an analog speedometer. At the least, they should have allowed for a big digital speed display in the center LCD display area.

So it's given me a lot to think about.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't pass out when you saw the look and quality of the interior of the Jag coming out of a Corvette. I have to say the Corvette (C6) has the cheapest and ugliest interior I have ever seen in a car... Major turn off when buying any type of car... Maybe you're not ready for the quirks AND PERKS of an XKR. No offense...

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Ha! No offense taken. Hope you didn't take any offense at my comments.

No car is perfect. There are tradeoffs in everything. All we can do is try to set our own personal priorities, balance them against budget, and pick the thing that will make us the most happy or the least unhappy!

I'm balancing this purchase against the newly announced C7 Stingray, which has an upgraded interior, but is obviously not in the same league as the Jaguar. What it does have as advantages are better fuel economy, more cargo space, and vastly superior electronics and drivers' gadgets.

The new exterior styling is polarizing to say the least. It is my least favorite aspect and one where the XKR stands head and shoulders above.

I am also weighing the high probability of bugs in a completely new model design and the inconvenience of getting to help discover and fix them versus the egotistical joy of being "first on the block" with a new toy.

But I don't want to hijack my own thread with off-topic material, so I'll try to keep the discussion focused on the Jaguar.

As always, I appreciate the camaraderie for one not yet in your ranks.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I was a little surprised by some of my impressions. I'm coming from 13 years of driving a Corvette (and many years before that with sporty little cars). Just so you know where my comparison biases lie. This is a much larger, heavier, substantial (and luxurious) car.

There is plenty to like, which is what I expected. I certainly see why you owners in this thread are happy with your rides. The ride quality is nice, the overall form and aesthetics are glorious (natch), it is able to pick up and move in a surprisingly subtle way. I found myself well above posted speed limits on a short test drive without "feeling the speed" in the seat of my pants as I'm used to!

My negative impressions (and again, I would like to state that I have no desire to be a negative forum troll or detract from anybody else's priorities and preferences) are:

1) It was no easier to get into/out of than my Vette. That really high door sill requires quite a leg raise. I thought it would be easier on the back during entry/egress and now I don't think that's true.

2) The seat cushions were stiffer and less luxurious than I thought they would be by looking at them. I am used to that in a sports car, but assumed this would be a little softer and comfier.

3) There was a surprising amount of fan noise from the seat ventilators. Very prominent. Is this normal, or a problem on my test vehicle?

4) My girlfriend likes to lean her seat back and nap on road trips. I tried it and found that the back seat interference mechanics are more severe than I expected. The amount of lean is restricted and the automatic slide forward had my knees hitting the dashboard. Not as comfortable as I hoped (for her).

5) I have been used to a head-up display for a long time now. I found it annoying to have to look down for an analog speedometer. At the least, they should have allowed for a big digital speed display in the center LCD display area.

So it's given me a lot to think about.
RE: fan noise when seat cooling is on. That noise is only present when the fan is on high. It's not present with the other 2 fan speeds. By the way, the high speed fan noise is coming out of the speaker on the back of the seat.

RE: a digital readout. You can set the LCD for a digital speed display. Pushing the end button on the left hand turn signal toggles through a bunch of different settings of your choice.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by aahmichael
RE: a digital readout. You can set the LCD for a digital speed display. Pushing the end button on the left hand turn signal toggles through a bunch of different settings of your choice.
That's what happens when I get a new Jaguar sales guy (5 weeks at the dealership). I specifically asked him about this and he said he didn't think there was any way to change that readout. Seemed strange to me. Thanks for the update. He was also baffled by the fan noise. Tsk.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM

That's what happens when I get a new Jaguar sales guy (5 weeks at the dealership). I specifically asked him about this and he said he didn't think there was any way to change that readout. Seemed strange to me. Thanks for the update. He was also baffled by the fan noise. Tsk.
Well, I'm assuming that the 2011 is the same as my 2013. However, it's probably best to check the owner's manual. Here is a link to the 2013 owner's manual, and once there, you can click on the 'home" tab and select the 2011 owner's manual.

TOPIx - TOPIx

Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I'm assuming that the 2011 is the same as my 2013. However, it's probably best to check the owner's manual. Here is a link to the 2013 owner's manual, and once there, you can click on the 'home" tab and select the 2011 owner's manual.

TOPIx - TOPIx
Its different, unfortunately. I have an '11 and I wish I could put a digital speedo where the clock appears between the gauges, but can't. The left button just toggles through the standard avg. speed / avg. gas mileage / trip odometers, etc.

The fan noise comes from the speaker? Interesting... I wonder what thats all about.

CaryKen, I'd say your complaints are accurate, its all about finding the issues that are going to bother you long term. Not being able to lean the seat back was the one on your list that bothered me when I looked at the car. It isn't enough to make a difference in my ownership experience, but its definitely there. Best of luck in your search.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheMCP
Its different, unfortunately. I have an '11 and I wish I could put a digital speedo where the clock appears between the gauges, but can't. The left button just toggles through the standard avg. speed / avg. gas mileage / trip odometers, etc.

The fan noise comes from the speaker? Interesting... I wonder what thats all about.

CaryKen, I'd say your complaints are accurate, its all about finding the issues that are going to bother you long term. Not being able to lean the seat back was the one on your list that bothered me when I looked at the car. It isn't enough to make a difference in my ownership experience, but its definitely there. Best of luck in your search.
Looking at both manuals, I see that the 2011 doesn't have the digital speed option. Don't know when they added that, but the 2013 has it.

In regards to the fan noise, I discovered that by accident. Started the car one day and heard the noise which I had never heard before. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the noise was and where it was coming from. Ultimately, I discovered that when the cooling fan is on high, there is a ton of white noise that comes out of the speaker on the back of the seat. It's consistent on both the driver seat and the passenger seat. Also, the noise comes out of the speaker even when the audio system is off.

I haven't had the car in for service since I bought it, but when I do take it in, I'm going to point this out to the dealer and ask if it's normal operating procedure.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

, I discovered that when the cooling fan is on high, there is a ton of white noise that comes out of the speaker on the back of the seat. It's consistent on both the driver seat and the passenger seat. Also, the noise comes out of the speaker even when the audio system is off..
That's not a speaker, it's a vent. Incidentally you will also hear a similar noise coming from it, to a much lesser degree, when the seat's heat is on high. I never use the seat coolers as the noise makes me batty.

I agree that all the points were on target. Being 5' 7" I didn't notice the seat issues at all, it is both comfortable and positioned well for me, but when my 6'4" cousin tried to drive, my eyes were opened.

And heads-up displays are cool, that's just a fact.

The following users liked this post:
aahmichael (01-28-2013)

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for XKR purchase advice