XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No note no soul ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

To me Jaguars have always been special since the day I bought my first XJ 12 L back in 1974. Pat of that "specialness" is the sound. I get almost as many comments on the sound of my XKR with the Mina Exhaust as I do regarding the beauty and class of the car itself. I think they go hand in hand and the sound adds to the unique quality of Jaguars in general and the XKR in particular.

I had the privilege of driving an early F-Type S for four days back when they first came out. The sound of that exhaust was also very special. that sound to me was a sports car sound and it really fit the F-Type whereas the XKR sound is more befitting a GT.

The following users liked this post:
sharx8 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
From what I've read the 2017 GT350 is 526HP t 7500 rpm and 429 lb. ft torque with 0-60 time of 4.3 sec. It is Fords 1st flat plane crank aluminum 5.2L V8.

So for you numbers guys it is .3 sec faster then the 5.0L XKR and maybe a little slower then the XKR-S. Just keeping things in perspective.
I am not a numbers guy and if you went in both cars you'd feel the GT350 is a more serious car; the only car as serious would be a new Viper. The whole drive-train is really robust and sound difference between the two makes the XKR sound like a Vanden Plas.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I can see they're marketing slogan now:

"0-60 eventually"

It's just not right I tells ya. It breaks my heart.
That's not fair. 2.0L turbos were doing 1200+ HP in F1. We should reserve judgement until they deliver the car. Weight savings alone could help bridge the gap.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

A "more serious car?" The GT 350 is a purpose built car for the track. The XKR is a GT car designed for luxury and quickness while enjoying that luxury. And it does it as well or better than any other car in its class and capable of competing admirably on the track. As for the Viper, if you've ridden or driven one, it's comfortability (uncomfortability) is only on the track as it's just a horrible car to drive on the street and sounds like a wounded bear, a completely unpleasant experience.

As for 0-60 times, they're great for bragging rights in my opinion, but not really related to the enjoyment of any car. My Pantera is considerably slower than my XKR, in both 0-60 sprints and even at the top end, but the exhiliration you feel when stomping on it, hearing those big "cannons" roar, sitting inches off the ground as you're watching pavement roll right under your eyes is a totally different experience. Would I want the crudeness of that experience everyday, of course not! That's why I chose the XKR, a thrilling car in its own right where you can enjoy massive amounts of quickness in the comfort of its opulent surroundings. It's a "serious" car.

Update on the Pantera: After a two year restoration, engine transplant (going from 310hp to 500hp), fuel injection transition from the Holley carb, big "throat" headers, a respray, and a number of interior upgrades, Iwill be picking it up in the next few weeks to take the big cat out for its maiden voyage. It should be fun. It was already the best sounding V-8 I'd ever heard, it should now be just crazy!

Last edited by tberg; 04-15-2017 at 10:13 AM.
sharx8 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
That's not fair. 2.0L turbos were doing 1200+ HP in F1. We should reserve judgement until they deliver the car. Weight savings alone could help bridge the gap.
Agreed. The weight saving is about 70kgs and it is mainly over the front axle, so the difference should be significant in handling. I've noticed a significant difference in the handling between the XE S and the 25T, and also between the AWD F Type R and the V6 S - the smaller engines having better steering under acceleration.

If that follows with the F Type, the 4 pot is going to be awesome to steer but at 0 - 100kph in 5.7 more brisk than quick. Unfortunately it doesnt come in a manual, and the sound is more OK than awesome.

But back to the OP, I am a nut for engine note. I think it is cruel that Jag didnt make operable rear windows in the XK to let us put them down to enjoy the note more. And a decent note at low speeds lets us enjoy it all without driving like lunatics.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default No note, no soul?

In answer to the original question, No note, no soul? Absolutely. Top speed in most countries is purely academic so is largely irrelevant, and the time difference in acceleration only of any value on the track. What sets one sports car apart from another is how it sounds. I had always longed for a big V8 and thought that when I bought an SL500, the 5 litre V8 engine would satisfy all my yearnings, but oh dear, where was the noise, the aural demonstration of power? What a disappointment! The car was soulless.

Now I have an XKR convertible Speed Pack (with fuse 19 now removed) - what a symphony of sound! Drop the roof, foot to the floor (well, maybe not the floor, more like just a tickle) - heaven in my ears! I'm never going to do the 174mph my Speed Pack is capable of but every shopping trip to the supermarket for the weekly groceries is magical!

sharx8 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts
Default Well here's the teaser

Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the one where it is driven, but there is another that combines them.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Aural Sex, Anyone?

I believe that Chevrolet was the first car company to specifically use exhaust sound to sell cars. Less than a year after buying my new 1960 Corvette, I received in the mail a 45 rpm Chevrolet promotional record "The Sounds of a 1961 Corvette", featuring a ride with Zora Arkus Duntov, the Russian immigrant engineer known as the "Father of the Corvette" and designer of the legendary high-lift "Duntov cam". He's driving a '61 fuelie, with 283 cubic inch displacement, new aluminum heads, and and 315 HP @ 6,500 rpms, which was incredible for that era. Unfortunately, those aluminum heads tended to warp and very few originals still exist. Interesting how technology has advanced, with aluminum heads being used on almost every engine today. After listening to that record, I went to my local Chevy dealer, had them replace the stock oval mufflers with the "off-road" mufflers used on the fuelie and never listened to the radio again.

Here's the link to that recording: http://www.deansgarage.com/media/audio/61Corvette.mp3

Close your eyes and enjoy some aural sex!

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-16-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Inserted link
DGorvetzian (06-19-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Yes, poor attempt at levity aside, you cannot judge a book by it's cover.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh yes! I remember the 1200 hp handgrenade used by Nelson Piquet in the Brabham-BMW for qualifying back in the 1980s. Word was the blocks were de-stressed by running them in road cars driven by BMW staffers before they were built into F1 motors. The fuel for these things also required some kind of space suit to get near it. Nasty stuff.

I like the noises in my 5.0 XJ. Silent when cruising about, but a subtle beat appears when you get on it. However, I have sensitive ears so it might not work for all of you.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Are we too focused on the way a vehicle sounds as opposed to the way in performs

Does the Telsa P100 lack soul does the new turbo 4cyl f type also fall into that category
> Does the Telsa P100 lack soul

I'd say definately. But for me at least thats far more to do with the bland germanic styling, ugly grill, uninspiring interior and poor handling due to excessive weight, than the lack of an internal combustion engine.

> does the new turbo 4cyl f type
No, in my opinion it doesn't totally lack soul like the Tesla does, but it still was a big disappointment in the soul area. If they had called it literally anything else then it would have been a fine car, but calling something an F-Type (i.e. the next E-type) sets up some mighty big shoes to fill, which in my opinion the F-type just doesn't come even close to doing.

If anything the F-type's failure just reinforced my appreciation of XKs even more, since I think the XK always has captured more of the Jaguar heritage/soul so I feel is therefore far more of the spiritual successor to the E-type than the F-type is. Every time I pass an XK on the road I keep rediscovering how they have that certain indefinable something in the lines that simply forces you to turn your head and look, That's soul right there. Meanwhile for me at least, F-types just visually blend into all the other traffic.

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-21-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

There was a Honda Civic at the light the other day that was all soul and enhanced exhaust sound.

Personally I think Tesla's are beautiful cars, for me the whole car has a "soul" is not my cup of tea. However, I do enjoy performance, if it comes without an exhaust note that is not a big deal.

But hey, I get that I am in the minority and understand the passion others have for brands, cars, watches, cigars, sports teams, whatever. When my XK was totaled it was unfortunate, when we had to put the family dog down we all shed tears. There is attachment to what I consider important and then inanimate tools that serve my purpose in life. My fine car is such a device, I enjoy it's quality and workmanship but don't get overly worked up about changing technology and the inevitable effect it will have on internal combustion engines.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

hmmm, I havent driven an electric car, but I do love a good engine note and I think the louder the better. If I am driving the F Type I know exactly when to change gears whereas my only gripe about the (25T) XE is that the engine is too quiet, and I have to watch the tacho to make sure I'm not overreving it. I suppose that isnt an issue for electric cars but still the engine note and vibration is something that connects you to the car, a bit like the clutch pedal used to.

I have to say that even though the Jags have my favorite shape, and I cant see myself buying a Benz any time soon, I think that the engine note in the V8 AMG Benzes is more to my liking. I always found the 5.0 Jags a bit raspy, though the 4.2 was very sweet.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I believe the XE as with just about all modern cars have a rev limiter so you don't have to worry about over rev'ing the engine.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
hmmm, I havent driven an electric car, but I do love a good engine note and I think the louder the better. If I am driving the F Type I know exactly when to change gears whereas my only gripe about the (25T) XE is that the engine is too quiet, and I have to watch the tacho to make sure I'm not overreving it. I suppose that isnt an issue for electric cars but still the engine note and vibration is something that connects you to the car, a bit like the clutch pedal used to.

I have to say that even though the Jags have my favorite shape, and I cant see myself buying a Benz any time soon, I think that the engine note in the V8 AMG Benzes is more to my liking. I always found the 5.0 Jags a bit raspy, though the 4.2 was very sweet.
Never heard the sound of a 5L in the flesh as you and I both know the xk/r are pretty rare in oz

In terms of the sound of the Benz I've owned two the first had the 6.3 an absolute torque monster and now my current e550

I find with the Benz V8s they produce a deep bellowing noise if you will almost an old school carby sound

With the 4.2 the sweet sounds come higher up the rev range, making the vehicle more engaging, however I find keeping the Jag within the speed limit is more of a challenge than the less engaging MB.

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 04-24-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I had a 4.2 XF which had the lovely throbby V8. It wasnt loud enough for bogan me so I had it fitted with a paramount back section with quad tailpipes. It looked great and sounded amazing, just like an Aston. The best part was that the engine sounded great at low speeds, so I wasnt (as) tempted to drive like a dick.

I traded it for a 5.0 Xf and the engine note was disappointing. It didnt have the throb, it was more howly and metallic. Then I got the XKR which was a bit better especially with the X pipe done, but the 4.2 with the paramount back end was still my fave. It sounded like this one

The supercharged 6 in the f Type is very good especially when it winds up.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Great sound. there is something visceral about it which would be sorely missed by me if the sounds of 4.2L 5.0L supercharged weren't there.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

+1 on the v6 f type exhaust !!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no doubt that the exhaust note from the XK makes driving it more fun. I rented a 425hp 2017 Camaro SS this past week on Vacation. It was FAST but not as fun to drive because the 8 speed transmission hunted gears like crazy when city driving and the paddle shifters were sloooowwwww to respond. Also, the stock exhaust note was terrible and DRONED alot.

I would like to say that I got away with accelerating MORE with the quiter exhaust in the Camaro vs the XK because smy wife couldn't hear me accelerating as much as I really was... So from a WIFE standpoint...the XK is more fun without your wife in the passenger seat. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by BonnerBB:
Cee Jay (04-26-2017), ralphwg (04-26-2017)