XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Now It's Over!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You're right they could have replaced all the electrical systems in that time. I forgot to add that the dealer did finally agree to have corporate help them. They said they worked with a field engineer. So not entirely this dealer's fault. Even with corporate help there is still no resolution to this. The thing is I love this car. I dont want to replace it even with the same model. I can't find this color combo anywhere. If they still made it I would just order the same. So I would keep it even with the problems. It's still totally drivable. I just hope that they would offer a very fair byout price.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Didn't you get the "Gorgeous" campaign in the US? They seemed to be constantly on TV here in NZ in around 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBRm23qPhI
Never seen the ad. Nowadays, Jaguar ads promote "Sport", not "Gorgeous" or "Luxury".

Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

This may or may not be relevant, but just a question to you folks. Are you locking the car while it is in your garage at night, and/or while not being used? I was told that if the car remains unlocked, it is continually searching for the key fob (for up to a distance of 30 feet or so) and therefore creating a drain on the battery.

We have yet to experience any issues with my wife's XF, but we did start locking it about a month ago. After my XKR shows up, I'll be interested to see if there will be any problems with it's system. The battery tender is a good idea for any car.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,211 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat17
This may or may not be relevant, but just a question to you folks. Are you locking the car while it is in your garage at night, and/or while not being used? I was told that if the car remains unlocked, it is continually searching for the key fob (for up to a distance of 30 feet or so) and therefore creating a drain on the battery.

We have yet to experience any issues with my wife's XF, but we did start locking it about a month ago. After my XKR shows up, I'll be interested to see if there will be any problems with it's system. The battery tender is a good idea for any car.
Yes Firecat17, see post #5 where Stuart makes that suggestion. Also, this is the second of the OP's posts regarding his issue and I believe Stuart advised him at that time to add a CTek. While a battery tender is standard and required fare for our XK's, the OP's problem appears to be exceptional. We'll never know for sure as the car is no longer in his hands as part of his legal settlement.

Here's hoping this thread now dies a peaceful and overdue death:-)

The following users liked this post:
Firecat17 (03-08-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

This has pretty much been the norm for those of us on the form. Mainly for the ones that drive maybe once or twice a week or for those of us that suspend/store for winter. It is interesting to look at the voltage when you open the car door and watch it drop. What I do find interesting is the 2007-09 charging system runs at 14.2 V during driving which is sufficient to keeping the battery charged during normal use even if for short trips. While the 2010-15 system varies it's charge from 12.6V to 14.5V depending on system need which if used for short trips may not keep the battery at full charge.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Understood and agree. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 908 Posts

Are you locking the car while it is in your garage at night, and/or while not being used?
No I don't, not in the garage anyway.

I was told that if the car remains unlocked, it is continually searching for the key fob (for up to a distance of 30 feet or so) and therefore creating a drain on the battery.
That is a urban myth that is incorrect. If you don't lock the car it just keeps some of the accessories live for 15-20 minutes longer than if you lock it (convenience mode).

It also doesn't continuously search for a key. It looks for one when it is locked and you pull on the door handle or try and open the tailgate on a car with passive entry but the range is only one meter.

It will also check to see if a key is in the vehicle when you open and close the tailgate while the rest of the car is locked. If it detects a key inside the car it will sound an error warning and the tailgate will remain unlocked.

The following users liked this post:
jima (02-06-2017)