XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

NZ Road trip in the new 08 XKR

Old 05-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 757 Likes on 565 Posts

Hopefully you noticed how well the car does in the rain. Even the rear glass stays clear once you get some speed up. Just a cool grand tourer all around.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 587 Posts

Thx. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great first trip, hope mine goes as smoothly - thanks for sharing.
I grew up in Cambridge many, many, moons ago. We were back in NZ in January visiting family. Drove my sisters Falcon from Hawkes Bay up via Taupo, Rotorua, Papamoa and the Mt. and on up to Cambridge and back. Bloody road works on the Napier/Taupo/Rotorua segment nearly drove me nuts.

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,080 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Was happy that all the screw clips were there on all the underhood panels , something I looked for when looking for a loved a car , bugger..fumbled and dropped one where I think its landed on the bottom engine cover...no chance retrieving it I reckon.
The clips are easy to drop - and they're fragile & break easily. They're a standard fastener: Au-Ve-Co 20518 - Ford Radiator Sight Shield Push-Type Retainer. I bought some from Auto Body Clips in the US:

https://autobodyclips.com/product/20518/

Unfortunately, the shipping costs to the UK were , so I got them shipped to a forum member in the US who was already going to send me something. There are some equivalent Ford part no.s that might be available in NZ (W705957-S300, W706519-S300).

Hehe...the Auckland to Wellington for a milkshake right of passage in the eighties, forgotten about those...6.5 hours is good going, mostly the roads are pretty damn good on SH1
3.0l V6 Ford Capri with a Celica 5-speed gearbox. Quite a bit of that trip was over the ton...

Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk View Post
Must not be any dust, dirt, or bugs down there! And thatís a pretty cool driveway too!
Yeah mate ,I love arriving home but it gets interesting when you meet a car coming the other way.I think the lack of bugs is just a time of year thing, come summer and you get nailed by the buggers. Cleaned her today and found a fair bit of sticky tar on the alloys which must have been from all the roadworks in Kaikoura. But otherwise she came up immaculate, could only find one very small stone chip which is showing some white under it. Other than that the paint work is 100% perfect.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Hopefully you noticed how well the car does in the rain. Even the rear glass stays clear once you get some speed up. Just a cool grand tourer all around.
Thing is I didn't spend much time looking behind me mostly because well..there wasn't anything behind me for long.

I did have a interesting experience when shortly into my first drive in the rain I was following a logging truck kicking up a huge amount of spray at 90 kmh, as we approached a two lane section of road I gave it some jandal and pulled out to the right to overtake...she stepped out on me and just for a millisecond had that sinking feeling that this could go badly.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by stxscott View Post
Great first trip, hope mine goes as smoothly - thanks for sharing.
I grew up in Cambridge many, many, moons ago. We were back in NZ in January visiting family. Drove my sisters Falcon from Hawkes Bay up via Taupo, Rotorua, Papamoa and the Mt. and on up to Cambridge and back. Bloody road works on the Napier/Taupo/Rotorua segment nearly drove me nuts.
Good luck on your road trip, I will be looking out for a report on how it goes for you, we love driving around the USA, its a really well connected place with its highway system .
We are suffering through many major and well overdue motorway upgrades in NZ but as they have been completing them over the last few years it has a made a massive difference of getting from A to B.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara View Post
The clips are easy to drop - and they're fragile & break easily. They're a standard fastener: Au-Ve-Co 20518 - Ford Radiator Sight Shield Push-Type Retainer. I bought some from Auto Body Clips in the US:

https://autobodyclips.com/product/20518/

Unfortunately, the shipping costs to the UK were , so I got them shipped to a forum member in the US who was already going to send me something. There are some equivalent Ford part no.s that might be available in NZ (W705957-S300, W706519-S300).

3.0l V6 Ford Capri with a Celica 5-speed gearbox. Quite a bit of that trip was over the ton...
Thanks for that, I checked them all today and found many had broken retaining barrels so will order a new set in.

Crossply tyres, no ABS, airbags or crumple zones, ahhhhh the days when men were men and sheep were nervous.

I had a MK 1 Cortina with a 3 litre V6 crudely stuffed into it back in those days, that car was frightening especially when you wanted to turn a corner or maybe just stop quickly.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Received 183 Likes on 132 Posts

My sister just returned from New Zealand. (She was in Christchurch the day before the shooting). The pictures of the countryside were spectacular. of course she sent pictures from the Lord of the Rings movies, like Mordor and the Hobbit houses. But she also was impressed with the sheer beauty of your country. Driving a Jag through that scenery must be a fantastic experience! Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

I did have a interesting experience when shortly into my first drive in the rain I was following a logging truck kicking up a huge amount of spray at 90 kmh, as we approached a two lane section of road I gave it some jandal and pulled out to the right to overtake...she stepped out on me and just for a millisecond had that sinking feeling that this could go badly.
That was Dynamic Stability Control kicking in - not just traction control, but also yaw control, braking the outside wheels to pull the rear into line. It's a pretty slick system, even when you switch to TracDSC for track driving. As these cars have an excess of torque over grip, they very easily step out if you give just a bit much throttle, and DSC will save your bacon.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Crossply tyres, no ABS, airbags or crumple zones, ahhhhh the days when men were men and sheep were nervous.

I had a MK 1 Cortina with a 3 litre V6 crudely stuffed into it back in those days, that car was frightening especially when you wanted to turn a corner or maybe just stop quickly.
I at least had Wolfrace wheels & radials on the Capri - but yeah, that Essex V6 was a heavy old cast-iron lump. Weight transfer was so extreme that I could lock the back wheels through engine braking.

Incidentally, that's another stability system in the XK - it will briefly increase engine torque to avoid locking the rears if you come off the gas suddenly or manually downshift.