Sponsored by: DashLynx

OMG what is this stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It ain't over till it's over. We are expecting 3"-5" today just to teas us . I just had to put the plow back on the truck.

Hey brother, I'm so tired of this fluffy stuff.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

DGL,
Don't worry, GLOBAL WARMING is coming and you won't have to worry about it any longer. Al Gore guarantees it, so you know it's true!

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (03-20-2015), jagtoes (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
DGL,
Don't worry, GLOBAL WARMING is coming and you won't have to worry about it any longer. Al Gore guarantees it, so you know it's true!
Do you have a palm tree to sell me. hahaha

Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Do you have a palm tree to sell me. hahaha

People living on the East Coast will find it hard to believe this has been the warmest North American winter on record. People on the West Coast have experienced a drought and very warm temperatures. It only takes temperatures above freezing and a weather system to make snow. I'm sure in the far distant future palm tress will be growing in your back yard jagtoes. Unfortunately, we wouldn't be around to see them and our XKR's, if they survive, will be worth a fortune. Although, I have 3 palm trees growing inside my house they don't help melt the snow.

After the last storm I ploughed my driveway and got my truck stuck in the back of one of my apartment buildings so I had to leave it there overnight. I got up the next morning to find the wind had blown 6 feet of snow in front of my garage doors with no way to plough it out. So, my cars will be in the garage for a long time unless I start digging the snow out. To make it even worse, my garage doors face the north with the main house on the west side so the snow pile gets little sun. I just may have to cut a tunnel through the snow bank. LOL. Can't wait to get the Jag out. I'd like to get it fully detailed before I starting driving it, but I can't even get it out of the garage to wash it to detail it. The wait is killing me.

Last edited by DGL; 03-21-2015 at 09:53 AM.
jagtoes (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I have to say that your beautiful property looks more appealing in summer than in winter...the weather this winter all over North America has indeed been very bad...but I find bad weather a good time to detail the car - even with a bucket for washing - and then waxing. Have you tried Victoria Wax? best, absolutely the best carnauba made with a depth of shine that is unbelievable and it fills those micro scratches on dark colours.

Attached Thumbnails OMG what is this stuff.-xk-october-2012-003-small-.jpg   OMG what is this stuff.-xk-september-2013-003-small-.jpg  
DGL (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Do you guys realise that at some point, not very far away, buckets of water for washing
cars will either be forbidden, very expensive, or not available at all?

Smart conservation will prevent that, but people have to actually support such efforts.

For example, storm sewer grates that lead not to pipes, but underground cisterns
which water the surrounding earth after the rain has long gone. Initially more
expensive, but dirt cheap in the longer term once the real effects are factored
in.

According to a documentary shown last night, there is a municipality in California
that has taken such steps and they collect more runoff in two weeks than they
use in a whole year. And that's California which is basically an irrigated desert.

++

Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
I have to say that your beautiful property looks more appealing in summer than in winter...the weather this winter all over North America has indeed been very bad...but I find bad weather a good time to detail the car - even with a bucket for washing - and then waxing. Have you tried Victoria Wax? best, absolutely the best carnauba made with a depth of shine that is unbelievable and it fills those micro scratches on dark colours.

Nice colour Gregory. I seen a green convertible 2012-13 XKR-S while in California last week parked in the Calabasas Commons. Classic color for a British Jaguar.

When I bought my XKR I purchased over $1,000 of top end detailing products. Duel action polisher and 4 level sets of application pads, wolf gang products, 4 different levels of paint correction compound, Klasse finish and sealer, and a special Sovereign Carnauba wax for black cars. It took me 5 days to detail the car completely. When I was done I was very happy with the job. No swirls, no rain marks--it looked better than new. I don't remember all of the products I used, they're in my garage. After 1.5 years it's time to do the detailing again. I just need to get the car out through the snow to wash it first.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Here's my garden, here in the mid-atlantic........20-Mar-2015 First day of spring?

Attached Thumbnails OMG what is this stuff.-20150320_112246.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Here's my garden, here in the mid-atlantic........20-Mar-2015 First day of spring?

I don't feel so bad now. LOL This winter has to stop sometime soon.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Plums,
Some of the draconian efforts to save water in Southern and Central California are already underway, but understand, they are really fake efforts with more government control and higher prices for water as the end goal (so that municipalities can earn revenue). Do you know that Los Angeles has NO (not a single one!) retention basin to catch runoff water from rain or from landscape water runoff into storm drains. We have very "efficiently" created a series of concrete channels that traverse the city and carry all such water straight out to the ocean with no stops in between. In northern Cal, we also wash BILLIONS of gallons of fresh water through the Sacramento delta to the Pacific and not to the central valley, the world's most fertile farmland, to theoretically (it is not a proven fact that it helps) aid in preserving a 3" fish called the Delta smelt. And to add fuel to the fire, it is estimated that leaks in municipal water system pipes and water mains is the largest single use of water in this state.

I fear that you're right, that someday we'll not be allowed to use a bucket of water to wash a car, because of regulations run amok, not because of reality.

ralphwg (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well we lucked out as we only had 3" of new snow while about 25 miles south of us they got 6". The bad part was our local town highway guys were out with the salt/sanders and the roads are covered again. So now everything is dry and the powder is starting to blow off of the roads. Weather guy says we'll be getting some rain at the end of the week so maybe it will wash it off again. I'll be out soon so it's just a matter of a week or so. In the meantime I'm meeting with my golf buddies to play a round at an indoor golf range. The season is near.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Well we lucked out as we only had 3" of new snow while about 25 miles south of us they got 6". The bad part was our local town highway guys were out with the salt/sanders and the roads are covered again. So now everything is dry and the powder is starting to blow off of the roads. Weather guy says we'll be getting some rain at the end of the week so maybe it will wash it off again. I'll be out soon so it's just a matter of a week or so. In the meantime I'm meeting with my golf buddies to play a round at an indoor golf range. The season is near.
Always great to learn something new.......even on the Jaguar Forum.....I never knew that a indoor golf range existed. So I googled "indoor golf range", and was quite amazed at some of the indoor golf facilities located around the world.

I don't golf, but sure did find the research to be quite interesting.

Thanks for bringing this up, Jagtoes. It is always nice to learn new things even when I am old, bent over, using my walker, and drinking my liquid boost.

Have a great day with the guys at the indoor range. Looks like fun.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Always great to learn something new.......even on the Jaguar Forum.....I never knew that a indoor golf range existed. So I googled "indoor golf range", and was quite amazed at some of the indoor golf facilities located around the world.

I don't golf, but sure did find the research to be quite interesting.

Thanks for bringing this up, Jagtoes. It is always nice to learn new things even when I am old, bent over, using my walker, and drinking my liquid boost.

Have a great day with the guys at the indoor range. Looks like fun.
You can always find interesting things and I bet some day someone will put a whole golf course under a dome. Now just for fun if you haven't seen it look up Tokyo ski dome. I was amazed on one of my trips to Japan to see this. I didn't get a chance to ski but was amazed when I walked inside. Live and learn

Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

You can always find interesting things and I bet some day someone will put a whole golf course under a dome. Now just for fun if you haven't seen it look up Tokyo ski dome. I was amazed on one of my trips to Japan to see this. I didn't get a chance to ski but was amazed when I walked inside. Live and learn

I wish my house was under a dome or better yet in LA. Another 15cm or 6in today and it's almost April.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Glen - I was thinking about asking if it was gone yet.

DGL (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Glen - I was thinking about asking if it was gone yet.

LOL

Old 04-03-2015, 05:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Moved the XKR out in the drive way today--what a feeling to hear the sound. Will wash it tomorrow and have it fully detailed after (4-5 day job). Should have it on the road in about 10 days if the weather co-operates.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Moved the XKR out in the drive way today--what a feeling to hear the sound. Will wash it tomorrow and have it fully detailed after (4-5 day job). Should have it on the road in about 10 days if the weather co-operates.
Hooray for you

DGL (04-03-2015)