XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

One month and ~2k miles of XKR ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 03:32 AM
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Honestly that A8 was an outstanding car to drive. 450hp, basically 200hp per ton, great handling, nice air ride ride, great brakes. It just was needy; i did 5k in parts in 24k miles; many used or it would have been a lot more; and the repairs sticking but other stuff would fail. This was not even doing engine and transmission work (unless you count remove, rebuild, replace a starter as that). I still would consider the Bentley CGT but would not go in thinking it'll be as cheapand easy as a Jaguar lol. That and my former e38 BMW 750iL were my favorite sedans I've owned.

My first car was a 1973 Triumph GT6 but i bought it the same week as my first real usable car, a 1997 Dodge Neon 5sp SOHC base coupe. No abs, no rear defrost, no ac, no factory radio, no factory passenger mirror, manual Windows and locks, no cable operated trunk release (key only), no fold down rear seats, no body side molding but the indents where it would go... I bought it 6 years old, 61k miles, immaculate cosmetically but had a blown head gasket (traditional gasket, iron block and aluminum head). I did a new MLS gasket, water pump, timing belt, tb tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, plugs, plug tube seals and new heater hoses (pinhole leak is why the overheat and hg failure occurred). I had like 800 total in it and then drove and owned it 8 years. Had about 1500 total in it at time of sale (battery, brake pads, muffler and tires) when i sold it for 1700. Best car I've ever owned!

The longest I've ever owned a car has been my 00 XKR at ten years. Up until I bought my X150 XKR I'd say this was my favorite, now I'd say it's my 07 XKR. The 07 has been so good at being an everyday car that's a blast when you want it, and an easy cruiser when you don't want to drive hard. My 00 XKR is going to move on next year and be replaced with either an Aston Martin DB9 or Maserati GranTurismo; both more expensive to operate, maintain and repair than an x150, but i want to try an entry level exotic next. My X150 is absolutely staying though, it's just too good and i like multiple toy cars.

One thing i will say about the dealers is that my local one considered my 2000 XKR old 5 years ago, not that i wanted them to service it, i was there to buy the thermostat housing to coolant overflow plastic pipe as a part. I don't know if they consider the x150 old? I know there's some outstanding independent jag techs on here that know their stuff, especially on older stuff the dealer may now be less knowledgeable or less likely to work on. There's some great ones like brutal, jagtechohio and more (it's 3am, i mean no slights to others!).

Talk to the dealer and get a feel, but for most of what these cars have go, they should be fine to see leaks, suspension and steering play, etc; standard used car stuff. The ac drain they'll know about (i know was an issue on my 07 but has been fixed, i don't know what years thatwas an issue). Anyone with eyeballs can see if the dash has shrinkage lol. The transmission though, any shop that deals with the 6hp26 will remind the fluid and pan replacement by 60k though. They used variants of these in bmw, jlr, aston, i think even some hyundai genesis. Good unit, just lifetime fluid may make you realize lifetime means different things to different people.
Audi sounds needy indeed. That is hugely expensive in such a short period! Nearly picked up an S4 last year, but shied away when timing chain issues were suspected.

Funny you say that about the Neon. Friend of mine had one. Paid something like $300 for it, and it had erratic, part throttle misses. A 16 dollar cam position sensor and 45 min later, car ran like a peach. I think she might still be driving actually lol Wonderfully simple cars.

My next 'exotic' will inevitably be a Dodge Viper. Ok so not really technically an exotic, but my dream car since I was a kid lol Nice gentleman let me sit in his at a car show when I was maybe 14. Pretty much sealed it haha. Anywho, I like an Aston, but I think the GranTurismo is far more sexy. Likely potential repair bills to match lol but I'm sure worth it.

Will likely keep my XKR for years to come as well. Actually let my pop drive it the other day. He admitted at first he didn't get it, but after our little cruise he totally gets it. He had a ball playing with the flappy paddles lol

Hopefully my dealer experience will be satisfactory. Plan to take it before the skies bless us with the cold white stuff. Will go into storage after that. Not quite at 50k yet but may have trans service just 'cause.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparDude
Audi sounds needy indeed. That is hugely expensive in such a short period! Nearly picked up an S4 last year, but shied away when timing chain issues were suspected.

Funny you say that about the Neon. Friend of mine had one. Paid something like $300 for it, and it had erratic, part throttle misses. A 16 dollar cam position sensor and 45 min later, car ran like a peach. I think she might still be driving actually lol Wonderfully simple cars.

My next 'exotic' will inevitably be a Dodge Viper. Ok so not really technically an exotic, but my dream car since I was a kid lol Nice gentleman let me sit in his at a car show when I was maybe 14. Pretty much sealed it haha. Anywho, I like an Aston, but I think the GranTurismo is far more sexy. Likely potential repair bills to match lol but I'm sure worth it.

Will likely keep my XKR for years to come as well. Actually let my pop drive it the other day. He admitted at first he didn't get it, but after our little cruise he totally gets it. He had a ball playing with the flappy paddles lol

Hopefully my dealer experience will be satisfactory. Plan to take it before the skies bless us with the cold white stuff. Will go into storage after that. Not quite at 50k yet but may have trans service just 'cause.
The Viper is relatively exotic, it really depends on the viewer; but they are cool cars. THe interior is like a kit car for the first gen, and im not sure how much better the interior got in the 2nd gen, but the most recent cars look decent inside. For me there are two cars that REALLY made an impression on me growing up, a 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom II (a sedanca type body), and a 1994 Lamborghini Diablo VT that my dads buddy has owned since new. I've driven the Diablo a few times, but only got to sit in the Rolls. I tend to feel the 1930s were the peak of automotive design, and 32 had a lot of neat stuff as a specific model year, but I like many eras.

My dad likes my XKRs but when he's out for fun he usually uses one of the bikes.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The Viper is relatively exotic, it really depends on the viewer; but they are cool cars. THe interior is like a kit car for the first gen, and im not sure how much better the interior got in the 2nd gen, but the most recent cars look decent inside. For me there are two cars that REALLY made an impression on me growing up, a 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom II (a sedanca type body), and a 1994 Lamborghini Diablo VT that my dads buddy has owned since new. I've driven the Diablo a few times, but only got to sit in the Rolls. I tend to feel the 1930s were the peak of automotive design, and 32 had a lot of neat stuff as a specific model year, but I like many eras.

My dad likes my XKRs but when he's out for fun he usually uses one of the bikes.
Part of the charm about them to me. I love that the first and 2nd gen look purpose built, no airbag (2nd gen and later got an airbag and electric windows I think), no ABS, exposed fasteners and flimsy plastics. Just a big V10 and a 6 speed.

Diablo is my favorite Lambo. Used to see a white one a lot driving around VA Beach when I lived around there. As for the '32 Rolls, had to look that one up haha Cars from that area were definitely built. Some even way ahead of their time with some of the options and Easter eggs and nifty gadgets.

My pop is the same. He has a 47 Olds Business coupe as a project. Loves cars, but lately been into bikes more. Just got himself a shiny new Harley last year. Put a lot of miles on it this summer. So ya he's been riding more then wrenching.