XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Opinions on Jump Starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Opinions on Jump Starters

I would like to get peoples opinions on lithium jump starters for the xk/xkr. Theres a lot of talk regarding maintainers (I use a CTEK) on this forum however I was considering getting one of these jump starters for peace of mind to avoid being stranded for various reasons such as accidentally leaving lights on etc.... Im thinking our batteries need to be at near full charge to operate the car so this could be useless in such a scenario. Also, im unsure if this could somehow cause damage the electrical system.

Your thoughts and opinions are appretiated.

An example of one such charger is below.

Thanks

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Jump starting of modern cars in most cases equals "high risk".

Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by themorningman
I would like to get peoples opinions on lithium jump starters for the xk/xkr. Theres a lot of talk regarding maintainers (I use a CTEK) on this forum however I was considering getting one of these jump starters for peace of mind to avoid being stranded for various reasons such as accidentally leaving lights on etc.... Im thinking our batteries need to be at near full charge to operate the car so this could be useless in such a scenario. Also, im unsure if this could somehow cause damage the electrical system.

Your thoughts and opinions are appretiated.

An example of one such charger is below.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-GB40-Ultr...s=jump+starter
There is nothing dangerous about using a jump starter except that they have lithium batteries which we all know can go kablooey on their own. But in todays world, it is the equivalent of having a set a jumper cables in your cars as we did once upon a time in the way back, in the long long ago.

Other than lithium jump starters running the risk of catching fire while they are charging themselves, it is very bad practice to jump start a car off of another car as each cars electronics interferes against the others. Jaguar warns against this as well.

So given those two choices, I opt for number 3 - my insurance carrier has both a tow and a jump start service included in my premium. I'm rarely in the boonies and even then, it's a two hour wait tops.

I have my headlights on auto so they don't stay on when I lock the car. But it would not cause damage to your car to use one in case you need to.

The following users liked this post:
themorningman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Genius Boost tucked away in the back and has served me well. Has multiple uses besides as a jump starter and is good quality.

See them here

The following 3 users liked this post by Big Otter:
kj07xk (03-21-2017), Sean W (03-21-2017), themorningman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Otter
I have a Genius Boost tucked away in the back and has served me well. Has multiple uses besides as a jump starter and is good quality.

See them here
+1
We just got one of these in at the shop and they are the real deal a lot more convenient than the traditional booster pack

The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
Sean W (03-21-2017), themorningman (03-21-2017)