XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent MAF Fault. Cleaned the MAF and de-engineer my stock airboxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 AM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Intermittent MAF Fault. Cleaned the MAF and de-engineered my stock airboxes

So after getting an Intermittent MAF code for a few month. Mainly the code came on when cruising at longer distances in a freeway and would disappear in city driving.

The sensors definitely looked dirty, the resistor wire parts were black , now they are nice and shiny hope there is no more code..

Also I noticed that the airbox design is a little interesting with the plastic squares all over the downstream part of the air filter which would cause a restriction. I though that the plastic was there to hold the filter in place but after examining a little more I realized that the plastic does not even come with contact with the air filter and does not strengthen the airbox.
So I decided, with my engennering background , which is none, that manufacturer added the plastic to provide restriction to the airflow. So I took action and here is the outcome

Initial results after driving are good, car pulls strong, will have to confirm at the strip. Also I noticed by monitoring with Torque app that the AFR now appears to be on the richer side at WOT. Before it would always flatline at 12.5
now it flatlines lower at 11.7, so something definitely changed, and hopefully for the better.

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent MAF Fault. Cleaned the MAF and de-engineer my stock airboxes-20160707_200146.jpg   Intermittent MAF Fault. Cleaned the MAF and de-engineer my stock airboxes-20160707_184018.jpg  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It looks like the ribs were required to support the frame during and after the mold process. The design is not done to restrict air flow mot likely channels the air without creating a problem. Removing them will provide some additional area but I would not believe it will result in any performance gain. The air flow restriction is usually caused by the weave and material of the filter media. You may want to periodically check to make sure that the filter does not cave in due to lack of support that the ribs provided. There is a reason it was in the design.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It looks like the ribs were required to support the frame during and after the mold process. The design is not done to restrict air flow mot likely channels the air without creating a problem. Removing them will provide some additional area but I would not believe it will result in any performance gain. The air flow restriction is usually caused by the weave and material of the filter media. You may want to periodically check to make sure that the filter does not cave in due to lack of support that the ribs provided. There is a reason it was in the design.
I though it was there to support the filter but the ribs are 7mm away from the filter and do not touch it, So other possibly they are there to support the entire airbox from caving in since filter/box is laying on its side..
This is a dual intake setup so with 2 airboxes trimmed there is a good amount of restriction removed... Drag strip will tell

Old 03-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

They are there to keep a clogged filter from collapsing. It happens in the wild often on neglected stuff.