XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag

Maybe posted already (but the search function on this site is not the very best..)..

My -'13 XK has a light that states: Passenger Airbag Off..

now in most cars i drove, this meant that i could actually turn the airbag off in case i would put a child seat there.. or a pregnant lady.. but in the XK, i cannot find any switch that actually disables the thing..

if it is not possible.. why have a light there at all?

Old 11-24-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Have a look on the dash at the bottom there is a button there called passenger air bag, press it.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Have a look on the dash at the bottom there is a button there called passenger air bag, press it.
i have something in the shape of a button.. on the right of the climate control dial and under the right side "cooler" button.. but thats only a light.. not a button..

Old 11-25-2016, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Parzival
I guess it is just to warn you of the fact that the air-bag won't deploy so you can take action if you weren't aware:

"Airbags cannot deploy correctly if they are obstructed. Examples of obstructions are:-
• Any part of an occupants body in contact with, or close to, an airbag cover.
• Objects placed on, or close to, an airbag cover.
• Clothing, cushions, or other material, covering seat mounted airbags.
• Seat covers which are not approved by Jaguar, or specifically designed for use with seat mounted airbags.

The airbag indicator, on the centre console, is associated with the deployment conditions for front seat passenger airbags only.

Whenever the passenger air bag deactivation indicator is illuminated, the front passenger air bags will not be deployed in the event of an impact. Where the airbags are not deployed, protection is provided by the seat belts.

Note: The air bag deactivation indicator will illuminate for approximately 6 seconds as a bulb check when the ignition is switched on."

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 09:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

..... but in the XK, i cannot find any switch that actually disables the thing.. if it is not possible.. why have a light there at all?
Passenger Airbag-airbag.jpg

Graham

Sean W (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I've never heard or a deactivation switch on an airbag and don't know why you'd want one. They would be illegal here in the States.

The passenger light is to let you know if it is active or not which through automation will be due to the reasons noted above.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I've never heard or a deactivation switch on an airbag and don't know why you'd want one. They would be illegal here in the States.

The passenger light is to let you know if it is active or not which through automation will be due to the reasons noted above.
I've had several vehicles with the Passenger Bag Deactivate switch. It's for when you have no choice but to put a car seat in the front. My F250 needs the ignition key to turn the switch, but it's there nonetheless. On the more advanced "Smart Supplemental Secondary Restraint" vehicles, there are several sensors usually in the seat itself, the ceiling, and the seatbelt where the system deactivates itself.

Sean W (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I've had several vehicles with the Passenger Bag Deactivate switch. It's for when you have no choice but to put a car seat in the front. My F250 needs the ignition key to turn the switch, but it's there nonetheless. On the more advanced "Smart Supplemental Secondary Restraint" vehicles, there are several sensors usually in the seat itself, the ceiling, and the seatbelt where the system deactivates itself.
Well you learn something new everyday. Never heard of it. I'm glad the newer technology is here.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My 2000 Jeep Wrangler is the same, it has a manual deactivation switch that requires you to insert the key to press. Unlike my fancy Jaguar the Jeep has zero safety checks. Hood open, no problem. Doors open while driving, car doesn't care. Matter of fact you can just take the damn doors off entirely. Convertible top not latched, I am a dumbass and that is on me, the car doesn't check for that crap.

Maybe posted already (but the search function on this site is not the very best..)..

My -'13 XK has a light that states: Passenger Airbag Off..

now in most cars i drove, this meant that i could actually turn the airbag off in case i would put a child seat there.. or a pregnant lady.. but in the XK, i cannot find any switch that actually disables the thing..

I couldn't find the light you were talking about, I had looked after I read your post. Tonight, for the first time, I know what were mentioning.

I had a bag of to-go food strapped into the passenger seat with the seatbelt, the light for the Passenger Airbag Off was on while I was driving. By engaging the seatbelt the car then used the seat occupancy matt to determine that the "passenger" is under-weight and automatically turned off the airbag. I am not sure what the weight is that allows for it to operate, I read somewhere around 40 lbs.

But like has been said the car automatically enables and disables the airbag.