XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

"Playing" bumper car in the parking lot...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy "Playing" bumper car in the parking lot...

Well, misery loves company...

When I was between two appointments today, I figured a short stop at home couldn't hurt. And since it was only for about 40 minutes and it didn't snow, I parked the cat in the public parking lot - of course at least two cars away from the others.
When I came back to it, my first thought was: damn, I really can't remember to have parked that gooney. Coming even closer, I realized, there was a note behind the windscreen wipers.
Well, it was a friendly note from our local police department, asking me to drop by the PHD, since my car had been victim of a car accident.
Only then I looked around and saw several other, quite severely, damaged cars.

I later got the whole story, when the involved police men stopped by, while the motor vehicle expert was assessing the damage:
Apparently, an older lady confused the brakes with the gas pedal and pulled quite the stunt. She first jumped over a small concrete obstacle (a wall of about 20 cm height) and steered about 2m on the lawn, before crashing into the back of my XK. She then freaked out, tried to get of the lawn and again confused the pedals. The second car she hit (and totally smashed the drivers side of it) gave her a spin, which narrowly missed the front of my car, but hit it's neighbor, in the back.

So far, everything looks fixable. But it will at least be a week in the shop. Thankfully the police was there, got all the data and her insurance company is cooperative - still, not the experience you need that close to Christmas.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What a nightmare!!!!. Really feel for you. I hope all is repaired to your satisfaction.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Unhappy

PPL = nicht gut

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

That hurts me to read it! So sorry.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the disadvantages of our cars. Where do I park it? Can I park it here, or better there? Can I find a place where others can't hit me? I'm not going there because I can't park there.

I feel sorry for you. It's the nightmare we all fear I think.

All the best.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Very sorry for your misfortune. I've been hit in the rear bumper in several cars in my area. The cars were never the same afterwards, even though they were "repaired".

Unfortunately, with Jags, once they've been in an accident like this it severely affects their value.

(If it were me) I'd insist that it be repaired at a genuine Jaguar repair center. If this is impossible, I'd insist all repair parts used are genuine Jaguar parts.

Let us know how the repair turns out.

Originally Posted by PercyPickwick
Well, misery loves company...

When I was between two appointments today, I figured a short stop at home couldn't hurt. And since it was only for about 40 minutes and it didn't snow, I parked the cat in the public parking lot - of course at least two cars away from the others.
When I came back to it, my first thought was: damn, I really can't remember to have parked that gooney. Coming even closer, I realized, there was a note behind the windscreen wipers.
Well, it was a friendly note from our local police department, asking me to drop by the PHD, since my car had been victim of a car accident.
Only then I looked around and saw several other, quite severely, damaged cars.

I later got the whole story, when the involved police men stopped by, while the motor vehicle expert was assessing the damage:
Apparently, an older lady confused the brakes with the gas pedal and pulled quite the stunt. She first jumped over a small concrete obstacle (a wall of about 20 cm height) and steered about 2m on the lawn, before crashing into the back of my XK. She then freaked out, tried to get of the lawn and again confused the pedals. The second car she hit (and totally smashed the drivers side of it) gave her a spin, which narrowly missed the front of my car, but hit it's neighbor, in the back.

So far, everything looks fixable. But it will at least be a week in the shop. Thankfully the police was there, got all the data and her insurance company is cooperative - still, not the experience you need that close to Christmas.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for your sympathy.
Guess you all can well imagine, how this feels.

Right now, I'm trying to make the best of the situation. Therefore I'm currently approaching the topic on two different ways.
I arranged for a repair scheduled on Monday at my local Jaguar dealer. And of course, they will only use original parts. If there are no hidden damages, everything should be fixed again about end of next week.
The other way I'm following is that I have posted the car online for sale. If it's sold before Monday, I'll take the money, as well as that from the insurance company and will call it destiny - to get the new XJ, I was already eying.

Still, here are some pictures of how it looks. Not nearly as horrible, as the course of the accident would demand. Seems like the XKs are quite a sturdy lot.

The first picture shows how the car was moved by the impact. I figure that the snow helped there. That way, the XK could easier slide away and the energy transfer wasn't nearly as dramatic.

Attached Thumbnails "Playing" bumper car in the parking lot...-img_060411.jpg   "Playing" bumper car in the parking lot...-img_06161.jpg   "Playing" bumper car in the parking lot...-img_06131.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the snow helped the xk slide. It moved quite a bit didn't it. Just make sure the gaps between the bumper to body and tailgate to body/bumper are equal all round. The impact may have pushed panels/mounts to the right a little. Hope all goes well for you.