XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pondering purchase of pre-owned XK... advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pondering purchase of pre-owned XK... advice please!

Greetings all, new arrival here seeking assistance and advice:

Long story short, I am pondering the purchase of a pre-owned Jag XK. My budget is around $40K, which means I could swing an 07-08 model (I figure the XKR is out of the question, which is fine by me). My previous automotive pedigree consists of an 09 Charger SRT, 09 Challenger R/T, 04 GTO, 01 Camaro SS, 00 Camaro Z28, well... I think you all get the idea.

I have always liked the Jaguars but never really payed them very close attention because I always thought they were too rich for my blood, but I find myself giving them a second look as the used ones are coming down in price, and I think I'm ready to "graduate" from American muscle cars (not that there's anything at all wrong with them!). I've also been considering a Lexus IS350, BMW 335i and Mercedes C-Class... but I keep coming back to the XK. Not having any experience at all with Jags, I come here humbly beseeching your professional advice - because, after all, why not ask the people that actually own one?

NOW... while I'm sure many of you are very passionate about your Jags (as you well should be), but I also know that Jaguars do have their issues (yes I know all cars do, but Jaguars seem to be notorious for them, especially electrical issues and such), SO... tell me all about them - the good, the bad and the ugly. What specific things should I watch out for? Should I buy nothing less than Certified? Is insurance horrendously expensive? (I'm married and 44, so it's not like I'm a teenager or anything - at least not physically lol). While I think the convertibles are sweet, I'd primarily be interested in the coupe. Don't have kids so the back seat (or lack thereof) isn't a problem.

So, please educate this "grasshopper" (Kung Fu fans will understand lol). If all goes well I may be joining your illustrious ranks soon. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Although I own an XF, I looked hard at getting an XKR but also came from the mold/profile that you're in (same age, plenty of American Muscle cars and Jags having gremlins)!
I think you'll love the sound of the XK and many of those older issues that kept most away are gone...
Be Careful - Don't go sit in one unless you're prepared to get hooked!!! The sound and comfort is amazing! My wife took me in to the Jag dealer to look a few years back and i bugged the heck out of her till she got me one!
Enjoy your search as there's many out there so take your time and find the right one...
BTW - I wouldn't rule out the R! you might be able to get one ('07) in that price range

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I have owned and loved many muscle cars from Mustang GTs, third gen twin turbo RX-7, two Lamborghinis, Jag XJL, '05XK and now an "08 XK.

For one thing while the Jag XK does not get the same looks as Lamborghinis, you will still generally be the premier car on most given road or parking lots. The XK has the looks and feel of a "near-exotic". If you like being seen in a special car this is your car. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus fine cars but, dime a dozen.

The '07-'08 XKs are relatively reliable, if my memory is correct they are still from the Ford ownership years that helped a great deal to improve on quality of the original Jaguar models. My early '80s XJL was HORRIBLE for reliability. My '05 that I owned for 3 years did not have a single issue. My '08 had one check engine light reset and I am still fighting an exhaust drone issue with the stock exhaust system. At times the car sounds like a Mustang GT with an after market muffler that is just not right. Some people actually like that sound so, you have to judge yourself. Other than that no problems.

My insurance is not significantly different from what I pay for other, less expensive cars. I do have a spotless record, however. Select Edition cars are always preferred for the state of mind warranty that comes with them. However, you could always shop for an extended warranty, something I would strongly recommend, given the potential repair costs of a Jag. I purchased a 5 year extended with my '05 for about $3000 and got back nearly half my monies when I traded the car after about 3 years. So, I had full Platinum coverage for 3 years for about $1600 and I really did not work that hard in negotiating a lower price for it in the beginning.

Good luck with your search,

Albert

Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't have time to post a huge reply... lol

But I can say, that, given your position, an 05-06 XKR coupe might just do it... Same awesome performance, just slightly less edgy styling. I believe that the gills on the 2007 cars, and the interiors, and the aerials... all feel a bit chintzy when compared to the previous car. But then again, it is now getting on 6 model years old, so it doesn't turn the same heads anymore. I believe it will mature a bit better though, in the long run. Also note, the XK has already gone through 3 cycles of refresh since its 2007 inception... subtracted foglights, changed gearshifter (and many more, including the more powerful 5.0 V8) by '09, and for '12 revised styling (and other stuff) all around.

So, with a 2006 car, you would have more hp than a 2012 normally aspirated car, + performance. And I can tell you, that generation's reliability is very impressive.

But... the 2007 is more current (and has a superior chassis). Anyway, if this is irrelevant, and you don't have any interest in that old of a car, sorry lol.

Happy motoring and good luck. See you on the forums!

Cheers,

Ian

Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Welcome Newbie

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find more interesting and helpful information here than you ever would imagine. Your questions about 2007 or 2008 and XK or XKR have been discussed previously, and you can do an advanced search to find those posts.

See this post "Need opinion on 2007 XK" Need opinion on 2007 XK including my 10-24-2011 comments and link to buying advice therein.

Will all the high HP cars you've previously owned, I think you'll regret not buying a supercharged "R", which has 120HP more than the 300HP XK and is much more responsive. Also, the suspension tuning is different as well as the exhaust note. You'll find that the most frequent maintenance with an XKR is repeately wiping the grin off your face every time you get behind the wheel!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks all so far for taking the time to reply

One of the things that keeps my thus far from pulling the trigger is the reliability reports that I've read concerning the electrical "gremlins" and a few other things... When I had my 04 GTO, even though it was technically a "first year" model, the car itself had been on sale in Australia for a few years so I figured all would be good... WRONG! Had numerous issues and the car ended up being a total PITA, and I'd hate the thought of an XK being the same way. While I know there are no guarantees in life (wouldn't it be great if there were? lol) that's why I wanted to ask you folks what you thought.

As far as springing for an XKR, even a few years ago I'd have probably agreed with you (Stuart S), but I'm not quite the horsepower freak that I used to be, so I'm sure a regular XK would do me just fine (if I could afford it, I'd spring for a '10 model or newer with its engine upgrades). And while the previous 96-06 XKs are OK I'm just not terribly interested in those.

So... alot to think about. If anyone else cares to jump in, please feel free!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Yankee,

Like you I have been looking at XKs. I'll relate my impressions so far and you can decide if they relate to you:

1. I have focused on the 07 XKs. That is the major styling break and the 07s are coming onto the mkt in numbers now at prices I can pay.

2. My perception is that in the last 120 days the prices are falling on nice XKs - a lot.

3. I have rejected the R as, like you, I'm no longer longer a horse power freak. Besides, I currently own an XJR and I can tell you that there is a substantial difference in ride quality from base to R configuration.

4.There are a lot of base models out there. For very little add'l cost you can hold out for significant options such as LUX or TECH pkg. Wheel upgrades, Audio, etc.

5. And lastly, there are some very nice 2 tone enterior color combinations floating around as well.

My milage requirements are minimal. No more than 45k miles. I set this figure because that gives me about 6 mos of Jag warr. given the miles I drive per year. Service and maintenance cost don't scare me as I think I understand the car and we have a good serv support network in and around Orlando.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I think if you are thinking of this as a collectible that you should purchase an '07+ XKR as it's usually the better equipped and higher performance examples that hold value or appreciate the mo$t.

Bruce

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I think if you are thinking of this as a collectible that you should purchase an '07+ XKR as it's usually the better equipped and higher performance examples that hold value or appreciate the mo$t.

Bruce
Point well taken! That's why I bought mine. Here's the email I received in reply to my inquiry:
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:54 P
Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

We appreciate your inquiry. For the 2009 model year there were 180 XKR Portfolio coupes and 200 convertibles produced.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9, or by e-mail.

Regards,

Klaudia Czeszkiewicz
Jaguar Customer Service

2009 XKR Portfolio models are even more rare than they appear from the above production numbers when you take the options into account. Options included Adaptive Cruise, Alcon brakes, and choice of colors for inteior and convertible top. Very few had all of the options, and I suspect that less than 20 XKRs are identical to mine.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Boys, Boys, Boys,

I saw a late model XK Portfolio at a car show and it was a show stopper. In fact it was a Jag Club sponsored event with some pretty sophisticated dudes/dudettes in attendance and it drew major attention.

However, if you think of this car as a collectible that will somehow hold its value - you do so at your peril. You may be right in the long run but it will take years & years for the mkt to decide and in the meantime the price will fall for years & years before perhaps inching back up for years & years.

Now if I were selling Portfolios I would use such terms as "collectible", "investment", etc.

I have owned an early E Type, an early XJ12 and an XJ6C. All hyped in their day as destined for greatness. The E Type made it but remember what I said about years & years?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Boys, Boys, Boys,

I saw a late model XK Portfolio at a car show and it was a show stopper. In fact it was a Jag Club sponsored event with some pretty sophisticated dudes/dudettes in attendance and it drew major attention.
tarhealcracker... would that be last year's Jaguar Concours, in Orlando? I was there! And that was the first time I saw a portfolio car in person... In fact, I bought a set of Portfolio wheel centre caps for my car becuase I liked them so much on that grey XKR coupe.

Last edited by Ipc838; 12-06-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Well I certainly wouldn't buy an XK in the hopes that it may be a collectible - as I've experienced, the collector car market can be quite a fickle thing and it's (IMHO) ultimately pointless to speculate otherwise. To cite an example, back in the mid 70s I had an uncle who had a '67 Olds Cutlass Vista Cruiser wagon - the one with the skylight option. Here's a car that you could barely give away as recently as 10 years ago, but that car is now a hot commodity on the collector market as those old station wagons are now becoming collectibe... who knew?

Anyway, I digress. Thanks again for the recent comments - again, alot to think about.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
Well I certainly wouldn't buy an XK in the hopes that it may be a collectible
Neither would I, but the XKR has promising attributes if you happen to prefer it. I certainly wouldn't race out to buy one as an investment, but if you happen to prefer it I think it has a good chance of retaining good resale value, and may prove worth a premium price when purchasing one over both the short and long term.

Bruce

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Tarheelcracker - you're right. New cars rarely hold their value or appreciate in the first 10 or 20 years. There are exceptions (Ford GT, BMW Z8, Ferrari Enzo, to name a few) but they're usually garage queens with very low mileage and low production numbers. I bought my XKR last year expecting that it would depreciate, just like almost every other car. Over the past year, my XKR turned out to be a better "investment" than my 401(k)! And it makes me feel good whenever I look at it and get behind the wheel!

Digressing a bit...After 41 years, I still love my wife but...when the Aston Martin V8 Vantage came out in 2006, I fell in love again! It was (and still is, IMHO) the most gorgeous car on the road today. And, in 2007, when it's XK/XKR cousin was born - just a bit less gorgeous - like a blond versus a brunette, but less finicky (some Ford dna) and a much better value. Now both are more affordable - you can buy a 2006 V8 Vantage in the low 60's, and a 2007 XK in the mid-20's!

I bought my 2009 XKR used, with 28K miles, in October 2010 because I was hooked when I drove it and the first owner took a huge depreciation hit - over 40% off MSRP. I did my due diligence and had my local Jag dealer thoroughly inspect it and verify all the service records and remaining factory warranty. Over a year later, I'm glad I bought it.

If I could put a price tag on the amount of enjoyment I've had from my XKR over the past year, I would have to say that it has appreciated in value.

Yankee - my advice - drive both the XK and the XKR. Make a list to compare them. If you don't get hooked, you need CPR! Life is short, enjoy every day as if it were your last with no regrets.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Yankee,

I'm a recent XK owner myself, and I did own a 2000 XK convertible seven or eight years ago. That and my current 2010 XK_R_ Coupe were bought used and Select Edition covered. I bought the 2010 coupe with like 3K miles on it and only had a bit over 6 or so months of service and title. Meaning I saved over $25k for the exact car I was looking for, and got it with three years and 50,000 more miles of warranty. Better coverage than new, new (perfect) condition. There are deals out there.

I saw an '07 XKR Coupe for the kind of $ you were looking to spend. Had mid miles (~30k), but the select edition warranty (think it had one) increased your coverage to 100k, plenty if you ask me

But yes, make sure you buy Select Edition. They treat you well, dealerships I've dealt with have been great, and you aren't being dragged down by another brand of car that they ALSO service. So you are being treated like a Jag owner should be, not like a blend of Jag and Ford or the like. Hell, my dealership upscale and treat me right.

The warranty is everything. Gotta get the Select Edition!

As to the XK vs XKR, two thoughts: one, you'll be blown away at how much fun the XKR is. Just a scream to have a car that smooth turn so mean on you and uncork the motor and sounds... Awesome.
Thought two: 99% of attractive women wouldn't know the difference, and would probably actually PREFER the slightly softer, more silent and smooth XK. FWIW.

Love both, love Select Edition even more.
SKeeter

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yep. That was the event. That was some car wasn't it?

Originally Posted by ianclements
tarhealcracker... would that be last year's Jaguar Concours, in Orlando? I was there! And that was the first time I saw a portfolio car in person... In fact, I bought a set of Portfolio wheel centre caps for my car becuase I liked them so much on that grey XKR coupe.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Yep. That was the event. That was some car wasn't it?
Yes sir, it was. I absolutely adored it. The wheels looked so good. And what a grey! I was slightly distracted, I remember, by a midlands brown MkII though. So I only spent about 5.6 hours (as opposed to the usual 8) ogling the XKR.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

In the long run, the R is worth the expense, but you'll be styling in either one. Now, coupe of cabrio?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I was in your boat as well. I had decided that I would only go about 35k for a car. I've had 64-65 GTO's, 2-72 GTO's, several corvettes and 3 Jaguar XJSs. The Jaguar cars always got attention and had folks asking questions. As you can see, I purchased a low mileage 07 convertible for 35k out of Houston. I had thought about the XKR but I really didn't have the need for the extra hp. This car has enough to play with and still get great gas mileage. Anytime it I get it out, it is the center of attention. I can come out of any store and someone there is always asking me about it. My father has an XK8 and while it does get attention, it's nothing like this one. Buy what you want and can afford. Drive several including the XK8 and see how you like it. I've drove my dad's 97 XK and I always feel my head is going to go through the convertible top. I can't get the seat down low enough for me to feel comfortable. I don't have that problem with the 07'. Good luck