Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe

Just the other day I see a beautiful Porsche Cayman S. I realize the Cayman S is an entry level Porsche, but this car looked awefully hot. The style, the lines, wheels, color (deep Blue), everything about it was attractive for a coupe style car. I fell in love with it immediately. It looked so attractive from the front end though my rear view mirror. Then once it started to pass, the car looked even better.

Thoughts on the Cayman S vs an XK Coupe. I realize engine size is not the same, other than that, your thoughts. I understand pricing is about $30,000 to $35,000 lower than the Jaguar XK Coupe.

Overall reviews on the Cayman are pretty good.

Last edited by richzak; 08-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The Cayman S will whoop an XK (and maybe even an XKR) in terms of performance abilities.

Not sure about the conditions, but one test I read the new 2014 Cayman S did the Nurburgring Lap in 7:55. The XKR-S did it in 7:51. So the XKR-S would have a little Porsche in the rear view mirror the entire time!

They seem to have really fixed the rear end of the Cayman, which was a major dealbreaker for me:

Old

New

I'd say go for it. Just make sure you get a stick. It seems rare these days to be able to get an awesome car with a stick, and if you can, you better take that chance!

Attached Thumbnails Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-porsche_cayman_s_2010_rear.jpg   Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-2014-porsche-cayman-s-rear-three-quarters.jpg   Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-lead9-2014-porsche-cayman-s-fd.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
The style, the lines, wheels, color (deep Blue), everything about it was attractive for a coupe style car. I feel in love with it immediately. It looked so attractive from the front end though my rear view mirror. Then once it started to pass, the car looked even better.
He was probably thinking the same thing about you.

I test drove a 2012 Carrera S before deciding on my new 2013 XKR. I thought the ride and the interior was cheap. I felt like I was driving a cheap Volkswagen and the Cayman is the entry level...

Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
...Thoughts on the Cayman S vs an XK Coupe. I realize engine size is not the same, other than that, your thoughts. I understand pricing is about $30,000 to $35,000 lower than the Jaguar XK Coupe.

Overall reviews on the Cayman are pretty good.
The Cayman price fully optioned out can easily exceed that of the XK Coupe. So, for full comparison you have to compare the trim/equipment levels.

IMO, the light weight mid-engine Cayman will out-handle the large, much heavier XK. Still I like the XK's looks and interior quality far better. The Cayman looks cheap compared to the XK.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Highly optioned Cayman S can be way up there in price. It may not be a 911, but when you're talking 70K+, it has enough on its own merit. The current body style is hot and does not to me look like an entry Porsche, but just a different model than 911.

I've driven the first generation Cayman and thought it was a hoot. Certainly a nice a car and worth considering, but it just lacks a little of the classic beauty the XK has. The silhouette of XK is timeless like the Aston or Ferrari GT cars.

weisberg (11-22-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
He was probably thinking the same thing about you.
Doubtful, as I was driving a VW bug rental car on a coastal road on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

The Porsche Cayman looked awesome.

I am thinking it might be nice to have the XKR Convertible plus the Porsche Cayman S coupe.

amcdonal86 (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
...They seem to have really fixed the rear end of the Cayman, which was a major dealbreaker for me:

Old

New

I'd say go for it. Just make sure you get a stick. It seems rare these days to be able to get an awesome car with a stick, and if you can, you better take that chance!
Funny that the back end, as seen in the Green model picture, for me is a turn-off. It reminds me to a WV bug with those bulging fenders and sloping back.

The stick gives a nice sporty alternative but, their dual clutch PDK(?) is said to be superior for fast driving.

Albert

Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Funny that the back end, as seen in the Green model picture, for me is a turn-off. It reminds me to a WV bug with those bulging fenders and sloping back.

The stick gives a nice sporty alternative but, their dual clutch PDK(?) is said to be superior for fast driving.

Albert
The green one is the old back end, and I agree with you that it's ugly!!

I'm sure the PDK transmission is faster, but the stick is more fun if you know how to use it! Plus then you don't have to shift into neutral to rev the engine at traffic lights.

A car like the Cayman is all about driver engagement!

axr6 (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

The green one is the old back end, and I agree with you that it's ugly!!

I'm sure the PDK transmission is faster, but the stick is more fun if you know how to use it! Plus then you don't have to shift into neutral to rev the engine at traffic lights.

A car like the Cayman is all about driver engagement!
Oh, OK, thanks for pointing out. Just wasn't paying enough attention there.

Yes, agree that the manual is more engaging.

Albert

Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Cayman VS XK? Too different kind of cars to be compared, both very desirable in their respective classes, and owning/driving both would be a blast. How about a Cayman without a roof (Boxster)? More than 1 topless car isn't necessarily a problem! I think it's more loosely comparable to the F-Type V6/S, particularly when available as a coupe.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 08-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Someone on another car forum I frequent just ordered a 2014 Cayman S; it came out to 86K and the build sheet had room for plenty of other options.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Someone on another car forum I frequent just ordered a 2014 Cayman S; it came out to 86K and the build sheet had room for plenty of other options.
I saw a Boxter, which is basically a vert version of the Cayman with the fully optioned price of well over 100K. Easily into XKR territories. While the Boxter is a nice car but, value wise I can not see it going for the same as an XKR.

Albert

Old 08-06-2013, 01:24 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

When I was shopping to find a replacement for my missed 175 I sold I looked at Porsche and a $140,000 Carrera S. The same dealership owner also owns the Jaguar, Audi and Volvo brand dealerships. Everyone supported their brand. For me it was obvious the only car to replace my old car was another XKR--it puts a big grin on my face. I was disappointed with the Carrera S. The only other car on my short list is the GT-R which I have not test drove because of availability but remain interested in the car.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The Cayman S stands out as "the good-looking Porsche" to me. It's about the only one. Cute little car.

I both agree and disagree with the cheap VW interior post. As a long time VW enthusiast ready to trade in my 2.0 turbo GTI for something more gentlemanly, I didn't like that the Porsche interior was too reminiscent of my previous, and current, VW cars. It was perfunctory and plain and plasticky and rubbery. But VW (and I presume Porsche) drivers will appreciate that every component of these cars fits together perfectly. It's rare to hear a rattle or hum or vibration of any kind. Every alignment is perfect, every joint is perfect, every line is perfect.

The Jaguar is quite luxurious, and almost perfect. It's a very subtle difference, but a VW (and I presume Porsche) driver can tell.

I'm not trying to troll here, I love my jag, but it trades that certain "German precision" feel for a more natural and comfortable interior. I'd be interested to know if the Audi drivers get this feeling, too. I'd say there's a place for a Cayman S in my life someday.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Porsche and Jaguar really have two different design philosophies. Porsche is very much function over form (you see that in the interiors--just look at some of those horrendous Porsche interiors from the 90s and early 2000s). Jaguar is form over function. I think this is probably what drew me to Jaguar in the first place--the impossibly beautiful shapes and designs.

Muddydog (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar is form over function. I think this is probably what drew me to Jaguar in the first place--the impossibly beautiful shapes and designs.
Jag has a done a great job on ergonomics in the XK. Every button is easy to get at, read, and adjust (NAV aside). Porsche is using nicer leather IMO, but you pay a banker's mint to have leather beyond the seating surfaces in a Porsche. Vinyl quality between the two marques are not far off.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The VW incidence of repair stats I've seen suggest that although things may fit together "perfectly" at one point, they don't always stay that way....

Old 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, VW has great interiors. So great that their parts have been used on such fine automobiles as the Bentley Continental GT!

Attached Thumbnails Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-2007-bentley-continental-gtc-shift-gate-photo-38408-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

One of my neighbours has a Boxster - it's a small 2-seater, more comparable to the F-type than an XK. Doesn't have the same presence, doesn't have the same sound. I'm sure it's a good car, but it's a bit too lightweight for my taste.

Another neighbour was talking about getting a Cayman or a Boxster - then I got the XKR. A month later he bought an XK Portfolio.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, VW has great interiors. So great that their parts have been used on such fine automobiles as the Bentley Continental GT!

I read the engine has to be pulled to change the alternator...

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe