Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pressure, Coolant, Battery Instruments for 2013 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 PM
cai
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pressure, Coolant, Battery Instruments for 2013 XKR

I did a search and could not find any reference to this topic.

I have a 2013 XKR and would like to know if there is a set of instruments to monitor this car's functions, oil, coolant, battery. I called the dealer and he said that Jaguar does not have any such thing.

Has any member installed such cluster and what have been the results?

Thank you,

cai

Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

Unfortunately the HKS CAMP 2 is out of production, so you need to find a used one, or else use a cellphone with a video interface and this: Kiwi 2 OBD2 OBDII Wireless Diagnostic Scanner | Android and iPhone

You can also use standard aftermarket gauges, and mount them to the dash or A-pillar.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-16-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by cai
I did a search and could not find any reference to this topic.

I have a 2013 XKR and would like to know if there is a set of instruments to monitor this car's functions, oil, coolant, battery. I called the dealer and he said that Jaguar does not have any such thing.

Has any member installed such cluster and what have been the results?

Thank you,

cai
As Whitexkr mentioned there are several different apps that will get you real time data from the OBDII port. Unfortunately the only one you won't be able to get is oil pressure and oil temperature . I haven't seen anyone post any info on being able to hook up an oil pressure gauge nor where the port is located that now has the low oil pressure warning sensor. That would be the place for an aftermarket gauge.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A ScanGauge might work for you. I have one on my VW Diesel and it works pretty good.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
...where the port is located that now has the low oil pressure warning sensor.
I've looked everywhere in the workshop manual and the wiring charts - I'm pretty sure there's no direct oil pressure sensor. I guess it is monitored indirectly by other sensors, e.g. the VCT sensors, because the variable timing is driven by oil pressure.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Ngarara;1248989]I've looked everywhere in the workshop manual and the wiring charts - I'm pretty sure there's no direct oil pressure sensor. I guess it is monitored indirectly by other sensors, e.g. the VCT sensors, because the variable timing is driven by oil pressure.[/QUOTE

What I was trying to find was the location of the sensor that would give you a "low oil pressure warning". Usually there would be one around the oil filter location. It only reads in the 5-8psi range where if the pressure is below that a warning message comes up. It is more of a pressure switch which goes to ground if not enough OP. I gotta believe there is a port somewhere.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

As I said, there is no oil pressure sensor/switch shown in the wiring diagram. Level & temperature, yes; pressure, no. As I said, I suspect it's monitored indirectly, i.e. if the pressure drops, other stuff that is being monitored stops working.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 AM
cai

Thank you for the replies. I will look into both types of units. For the Kiwi, now with Windows 10 coming out, a small tablet could run all the telephone apps and thus have a bigger screen to view the data.

I could use the cigarette lighter to keep the phone or tablet chaarged and in the car all the time.

cai

Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I use an OBD reader and the torque app on my Galaxy phone which I clamp to a center AC outlet with a clamp bought for that purpose on ebay or amazon - can't remember which. the mobile is plugged into the cigarette lighter. I get coolant temp, volts readout and several other pieces of information that can be changed as I desire. Only thing lacking is oil temp and pressure.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I use an OBD reader and the torque app on my Galaxy phone which I clamp to a center AC outlet with a clamp bought for that purpose on ebay or amazon - can't remember which. the mobile is plugged into the cigarette lighter. I get coolant temp, volts readout and several other pieces of information that can be changed as I desire. Only thing lacking is oil temp and pressure.
Those are the three we are all looking for , Water Temp. , Volts and oil pressure. Although it is nice to have others I think the 3 are what provides us the necessary information.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

The more digging I do, the more I'm sure that the oil pressure is not monitored. In order to check it in a workshop, you have to install a 'special tool', number 303-1451, which is an adapter that replaces the normal oil filter housing. The adapter has an outlet to connect a pressure gauge - I assume you could fit something like a PLX pressure sensor that would integrate with the PLX Kiwi system (the Kiwi platform supports dedicated non-OBDII sensors).

Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The more digging I do, the more I'm sure that the oil pressure is not monitored. In order to check it in a workshop, you have to install a 'special tool', number 303-1451, which is an adapter that replaces the normal oil filter housing. The adapter has an outlet to connect a pressure gauge - I assume you could fit something like a PLX pressure sensor that would integrate with the PLX Kiwi system (the Kiwi platform supports dedicated non-OBDII sensors).
Interesting thought. I also wonder where the guys who are racing their XKR are getting their oil pressure readings or does the XKRS-GT have any gauges in it. I also wonder if the adapter can stay on . Would be interesting to see what it looks like.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cai
Thank you for the replies. I will look into both types of units. For the Kiwi, now with Windows 10 coming out, a small tablet could run all the telephone apps and thus have a bigger screen to view the data.

I could use the cigarette lighter to keep the phone or tablet chaarged and in the car all the time.

cai
If you just want something small and easy you might want to try this. ScanGaugeE : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 AM
cai

Maybe not a given, but, if the oil temperature goes up does the coolant temperature also go up? Is the reciprocal true, that is, if the coolant temperature goes up does the oil temperature go up?

The issue about not having either reading is that one does not know wherein a problem lies. I am glad to see that others have the same concern and probably a solution, oil pressure measuring point, can be found. As Ngarara says, the measured value could be incorporated into the Kiwi readings.

I just ordered the KIWI and will post something next week as soon as I get it operational. In the mean time, I will also keep an eye and an ear open to any possibilities of incorporating a future oil pressure point into this unit.

I have not found the techs at the dealer too helpful so it is up to us to find a location for a transponder. As Jagtoes mentioned, I am also curious as to how the XKR racers are able to read their oil pressure and temperature.

Thank you for all your very useful information.

cai

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cai
Maybe not a given, but, if the oil temperature goes up does the coolant temperature also go up? Is the reciprocal true, that is, if the coolant temperature goes up does the oil temperature go up?

The issue about not having either reading is that one does not know wherein a problem lies. I am glad to see that others have the same concern and probably a solution, oil pressure measuring point, can be found. As Ngarara says, the measured value could be incorporated into the Kiwi readings.

I just ordered the KIWI and will post something next week as soon as I get it operational. In the mean time, I will also keep an eye and an ear open to any possibilities of incorporating a future oil pressure point into this unit.

I have not found the techs at the dealer too helpful so it is up to us to find a location for a transponder. As Jagtoes mentioned, I am also curious as to how the XKR racers are able to read their oil pressure and temperature.

Thank you for all your very useful information.

cai
In my Ferrari experience there was always a concern of both water temp and oil temp. I had found during normal driving that they both tracked each other so there was not real concern. The difference was when you tracked the car oil temp was a concern and we would follow it closely. During running water temp. would stay in the 200-210* F range . So in track use OP and OT were the concern while in street use WT would be the thing to watch. Just my 2 cents here.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

For the 4.2 engines, I make an adapter for the oil pressure switch port, which has rare and unusual threads: M10x1.25 .

See Jaguar V8 Oil Pressure Adapter - TheJagWrangler

The problem is I am not sure if there is adequate clearance for it on the X150. I do have one customer who was trying it and I will report back his results if I can reach him. An alternative is to make a custom adapter up using these turbo oil feed lines with banjo bolts which are also available in this size: Universal Turbo Oil Feed Line 40" M10x1 25mm Banjo Trusts TD04H T517Z T518Z | eBay

Unfortunately, on the 5.0 engines the oil pressure switch/temperature sensors have all changed, and I have not investigated compatible sizes yet.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-17-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
cai

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Unfortunately, on the 5.0 engines the oil pressure switch/temperature sensors have all changed, and I have not investigated compatible sizes yet.
If and when you get around to looking into the 5.0 XKRs, could you please post your findings.

I appreciate the observation Jagtoes.

Thank you.

cai

Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I also wonder where the guys who are racing their XKR are getting their oil pressure readings or does the XKRS-GT have any gauges in it. I also wonder if the adapter can stay on . Would be interesting to see what it looks like.
The GT3 car is based on a 2008 4.2, which does have a pressure switch, and I don't believe the 5.0 R-S GT has any different instruments. If the adapter is basically the same as a normal filter housing, it ought to be OK, provided the sensor is securely connected so there's no chance for it to come off.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:21 PM
cai

OK. I got the KIWI. Now where is the OBDII in my 2014 XKR? I went underneath the steering column side and could not see anythin that resembles and OBD connector.

Would appreciate any information.

Thank you,

cai

Old 06-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cai
OK. I got the KIWI. Now where is the OBDII in my 2014 XKR? I went underneath the steering column side and could not see anythin that resembles and OBD connector.

Would appreciate any information.

Thank you,

cai
Underneath and to the left of the steering column. The plug is there.

Quick Reply: Pressure, Coolant, Battery Instruments for 2013 XKR