XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Programming Key Fob 2008 XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Programming Key Fob 2008 XK

I have read all the information I can find regarding programming the fobs and every one starts with placing the steel key in the ignition. My car doesn't have an ignition switch but rather a slot in the center console where one places the entre fob to start the car. The only 2 slots for the steel key are in the door handle and the boot. Is it still possible for me to program the fobs or must I go to the dealer?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

To the best of my knowledge you must go to a dealer to program a key fob. Furthermore it ain't cheap. somewhere around $200 I think.

The following users liked this post:
synrgy (08-16-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
To the best of my knowledge you must go to a dealer to program a key fob. Furthermore it ain't cheap. somewhere around $200 I think.

You're correct Ralph. Synrgy, per the repair manual:

"If a replacement Smart Key is required, 2 Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) diagnostic procedures are required to synchronize the passive start/entry and transponder functions of the Smart Key. If any module, which is involved in the Smart Key authorization process, require replacement, an IDS diagnostic procedure is also required to synchronize the replacement module into the system."

synrgy (08-16-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

many Jag specialty indi mechanics have the software needed to reprogram your key, call around as that may save you a ton of cash... also pray that your key CAN be programmed as many sold on eBay and other venues cannot be.

Read the owners manual (free on this site) regarding that center fob receptacle - that's there only when things get out of whack occasionally so the car can get reacquainted with your fob not actually reprogram it otherwise your car is keyless so it shouldn't ever need to be taken out of your pocket.

synrgy (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM

Leeper,

I have 2 fobs, one works fine, thankfully. The other may be an original as it has a steel key that is cut for the car. I put a new battery in that fob and it doesn't work but I will try plugging it into the slot and see if it has any effect on the fob. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

If the fob isn't unlocking the doors putting into the slot won't help you. Make sure the battery is good (new doesn't mean good respect if it's not a good name brand) and maybe try cleaning it out with electrical contact cleaner and running alcohol before investing $75-200 in reprogramming

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

If the above doesn't work, make sure the battery in the remote is making good contact inside the housing. I've read on other threads that the spring contact can become bent and not make a connection with the battery, resulting in a 'dead' fob. Bending the contact a little bit solves that problem.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM

Thanks for your replies. I tried the suggestions with no change. I did find a Jag mechanic who comes highly recommended only 20 miles from me. Since my closest dealer is over 100 miles away I think I'll go make his acquaintance.