Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

puddle lights for XK's

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
I don't mind drilling the hole because the car is aluminum and it won't rust.
Sorry, Jim, don't mean to pee on your procession, but a general observation: the alloy body won't rust, because rust is iron oxide, but it will corrode into aluminium oxide if it isn't protected. There are plenty of people who've had (mostly cosmetic) corrosion problems with XKs and alloy XJs, and there are threads on here about it. If you do drill into the alloy (someone said the bottom of the door is plastic, so it may not apply in this case), make sure you prime & paint the raw edges as much as possible, or you may get spreading bubbles full of white powder.

The following users liked this post:
LstFord (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Sorry, Jim, don't mean to pee on your procession, but a general observation: the alloy body won't rust, because rust is iron oxide, but it will corrode into aluminium oxide if it isn't protected. There are plenty of people who've had (mostly cosmetic) corrosion problems with XKs and alloy XJs, and there are threads on here about it. If you do drill into the alloy (someone said the bottom of the door is plastic, so it may not apply in this case), make sure you prime & paint the raw edges as much as possible, or you may get spreading bubbles full of white powder.

Thanks you are right and I normally always would seal it when doing something like this. In Michigan the salt and cars are a nightmare, not that this car sees any winter. My car is still under a cover and haven't had a chance to look at the door yet.
Jim

Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Jim:

Was this photo from the one that goes into the drille hole or the courtsey light that has the projector built in?

Can you provide a link for the courtesy light with the built in projector?
I looked at the Vmax, but the chart stated it doesn't fit my 2009 XKR.

Thanks

Richard
This is the one I received.

Jaguar Logo Puddle Ghost Door Lights 7 Watt CREE LED Newest Technology X2 | eBay

Attached Thumbnails puddle lights for XK's-jag-door-light.jpg  
richzak (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Jim:

Was this photo from the one that goes into the drille hole or the courtsey light that has the projector built in?

Can you provide a link for the courtesy light with the built in projector?
I looked at the Vmax, but the chart stated it doesn't fit my 2009 XKR.

Thanks

Richard

Rich this is the other light I ordered but haven't received. It is supposed to work on the 08 XKR.
Jim

2 x Car Laser Projector Shadow Welcome Logo Ghost Door Step LED Light for Jaguar | eBay

Attached Images  
richzak (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Rich this is the other light I ordered but haven't received. It is supposed to work on the 08 XKR.
Jim

2 x Car Laser Projector Shadow Welcome Logo Ghost Door Step LED Light for Jaguar | eBay
I am not sure these will work as they are an adhesive mount, and the wire is not hidden in the door panel. I think our OEM courtesy will have to snap out as they have snaps on the sides. The wiring is also on the inside of the door panel, so once the OEM light is removed, we would have access to the wiring.

It woud be great if these would fit into the OEM Jaguar door mount, but I don't think they will.

Let us know when you get them. I have the feeling you will end up using the set you already got from Holland, MI.

Thanks so much for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM

I am not sure these will work as they are an adhesive mount, and the wire is not hidden in the door panel. I think our OEM courtesy will have to snap out as they have snaps on the sides. The wiring is also on the inside of the door panel, so once the OEM light is removed, we would have access to the wiring.

It woud be great if these would fit into the OEM Jaguar door mount, but I don't think they will.

Let us know when you get them. I have the feeling you will end up using the set you already got from Holland, MI.

Thanks so much for the info. It is greatly appreciated.
International leg
Domestic leg$0.00

Import charges
Refund-$0.00
Total coupon amount-$0.00 -$0.00

I canceled that order, I did not look close enough at it. The VMAx only fits the newer models and I couldn't find one for a 08.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Installation

I used the tip of a small screwdriver to very gently pop out the existing courtesy light, which is held in place with two plastic prongs.

Using the hole drill that comes with the puddle lights, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the plastic door panel 1” forward (toward the front of the car) of the courtesy light opening.

I unscrewed the lock washer ring from the puddle light and fed the puddle light wires first up through the hole and then I pushed the puddle light itself up into the hole.

Note… If the puddle light itself is too tight to go into the hole, remove the puddle light and wires and re-insert the hole drill. As it’s spinning, gently tilt the drill very slightly from side to side thereby increasing the size of the hole ever so slightly.

Once the puddle light was fully pushed up into the hole, I fed the lock washer ring over both wires and screwed it against the puddle light as best I could with my fingers using the courtesy light opening for access.

To wire the puddle lights to my Jag, I carefully stripped off 1” of insulation from the one large black wire of the puddle light exposing the two separate small wires inside, one red, one black. I then stripped off 1” of insulation on each of the black and red puddle light wires.

Next, I carefully stripped off 1” of insulation on each of the courtesy light wires and connected the black wire of the courtesy light to the black wire of the puddle light by twisting the exposed end of puddle light wire around the exposed section of the courtesy light wire. I then wrapped the connection with electrical tape.

Then I did the same thing with the red puddle light wire and the red courtesy light wire.

I then tucked all of the wires back inside the door cavity (via the courtesy light opening) and pushed the courtesy light back into the door panel. I closed the car door and re-opened it, causing the new puddle light to come on.

Since the Jag logo wasn’t facing exactly the way I wanted, I removed the courtesy light again, twisted the puddle light so taht the logo was facing correctly and then tightened the lock washer ring against the puddle light as hard as I could.

That was a year ago and to this day, they both work like a charm and the Jag logo has remained in the correct position!

The following 3 users liked this post by Snide72:
beh2010 (03-30-2014), Ngarara (03-29-2014), richzak (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM

I bought both types, for a total of $36.00 shipped. I just got the one that drilled in to the bottom and it works great. When I get the courtesy replacement light I will look and see which works best and install it. I don't think I like having it stick out of the side of the door the way the replacement light does. I don't mind drilling the hole because the car is aluminum and it won't rust. This is a picture of the light on my office floor.
Jim
I put it in and it works great, about 18 minutes which includes pouring The Glenlivet for the job. That was the first door, the other one tomorrow.

richzak (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

I put it in and it works great, about 18 minutes which includes pouring The Glenlivet for the job. That was the first door, the other one tomorrow.
Great.....Was the courtesy light hard to remove?

Are the snaps on the side or top of the existing courtesy door lights?

What about drilling the hole and wiring?

I am getting ready to move forward.

Appreciate your input.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

They look great and are easy to install. The light pops out and it is easy to drill. There is some over spray from the doors light but I think it looks fine.

Attached Thumbnails puddle lights for XK's-img_20140329_211459_502.jpg   puddle lights for XK's-img_20140330_135119_974.jpg   puddle lights for XK's-img_20140330_140534_644.jpg  
beh2010 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

jus ordered the 5th gen led lights with creel leds. has white circle and white leaper with red jaguar lettering. very nice looking hope it is as nice after the install. will let you all know.going on 2011 xk vert.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beh2010
jus ordered the 5th gen led lights with creel leds. has white circle and white leaper with red jaguar lettering. very nice looking hope it is as nice after the install. will let you all know.going on 2011 xk vert.
Can you share a link?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM

Rich, If you go to ebay and search custom sign(1702) 5th gen car laser logo, you will find it. Price was $18 and change, American company. Hope this helps. I am not good at pasting info on the net. Sorry.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

found this one: 5th gen Car Laser

Attached Thumbnails puddle lights for XK's-%24_57.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
beh2010 (03-31-2014), richzak (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM

that's the one!

richzak (03-31-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Just got my lights in the mail. just like the one posted by Schwabe above. No pre with install. Very quick, but be care of the wires on the new lights they are very fine. I stripped of quite a bit and doubled it then twisted to make the wire stronger. They look great and the is no problem with clearance when door is closed. Can't wait until dark. My neighbor now wants some for his Vette. He has Lambo doors so it would be easy install. Wife can't wait until we valet park at a restaurant.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Just got my lights in the mail. just like the one posted by Schwabe above. No pre with install. Very quick, but be care of the wires on the new lights they are very fine. I stripped of quite a bit and doubled it then twisted to make the wire stronger. They look great and the is no problem with clearance when door is closed. Can't wait until dark. My neighbor now wants some for his Vette. He has Lambo doors so it would be easy install. Wife can't wait until we valet park at a restaurant.
Any problem removing the existing courtesy light in the door?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice. Mine arrived today as well. Did you remove the door panels or just the courtesy light and drilled the hole next to it?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 AM

All I did was remove the existing light. used small screw driver and very gently popped it out. there are 2 tabs, right and left plastic. When you get the first one out on problem. then unplug the light to make it easy to strip the wire and make the connections. No door panel removal required. Just go forward of the opening about an inch and drill the hole. Checked operation last night and dam it looks good. Oh, had to adjust the projector light by turning it so the leaper was in line with the door. That was the hard part. Good luck, you all should not have a problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by beh2010:
richzak (04-04-2014), Schwabe (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Will happen this weekend.

Did you disconnect your regular door light or does it not interfere with the puddle light?

Quick Reply: puddle lights for XK's