XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about booster/child seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Question about booster/child seats

I bought booster seats for my 4 and 5 yr old kids for the backseat of my Xkr-s. they are just bases that don't attach. They seem to work fine except my 5 yr olds head just touches the roof when she straightens herself. Also, I noticed that the shoulder belt rides a little low on her shoulder. So I put my 5 yo in the back without a booster and she fit perfectly! Problem is that in CA, kids have to be in child seats until 8. I' m going to do what is safest for my child, which looks like is no booster, but was wondering what others with kids do.
Thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The bucket-ness of the seats does mean that it fits a child perfectly - and I'd made the same observations that you have.

Here in the UK we have the same rules as you do. My 4yr old just fits in the back on his booster seat - like you I'll be doing what is safest when he grows a bit.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am curious.

Here in NSW, the laws are pretty prescriptive but do allow the child to sit in the front if there's no back seats ( I suspect this is driven from the Australian penchant for Utes). It poses the question is there latitude to do what's safer?

My 6 and 4 yr olds seem cocooned quite nicely in the back and look safer than perched on a booster that doesn't actually attach and or fit in too well!

I don't carry them often or far and they sit in the seats without any other ancillaries but I do wonder what view a traffic cop would take?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Here in the UK, the laws are pretty tight, but kids are allowed in the front - just so long as they are on a proper chair and belted in properly.

The XK is actually good here as it disables the air bag when it detects Manic-Minor in the passenger seat. He only goes in the back when Mrs Manic is travelling with us too.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi to you all,

Is there a brand or a seat that will fit for my three years old son? He is too young for the booster.

Ian

Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ian1975
Hi to you all,

Is there a brand or a seat that will fit for my three years old son? He is too young for the booster.

Ian
In the rear, no. Use a full size one in the front.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I just tried my 4 yr old in the back seat without the booster. He also fits better without the booster - better position of the shoulder belt. Ian, your 3 yo should be fine with just a booster- u can get one for like $12 at Walmart

Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I just tried my 4 yr old in the back seat without the booster. He also fits better without the booster - better position of the shoulder belt. Ian, your 3 yo should be fine with just a booster- u can get one for like $12 at Walmart
+1 to this.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manicguitarist
In the rear, no. Use a full size one in the front.
No??????

Gosh! Why did they put isofix locks on the back seats, then?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2007 XKR and also need to carry 2 kids (one 5 and one 10). I was fortunate when I stopped at Target yesterday and found a Cosco black and grey child booster that works perfectly. The depth is perfect (front to back) and the width also is narrow enough for me to buckle my daughter. The best part, it was only $12.99 for the booster. Now my youngest daughter can ride with us.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

JNotte, is this the seat you got?

Cosco No Back Booster - Black : Target

I have the Evenflo for my 6 and 4 year old:

Evenflo Amp LX Booster Seat - Paintbrush Pink : Target

The Evenflo is very tight to get the seat belt on and is slightly too deep. It overhangs the seat and takes an inch or two of valuable leg room. I'll take a look at the Cosco this weekend. For $12 it might be worth just buying them to try.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

The Cosco is what we have for my 5 yr old Grandson. It works very well.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
fma
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone installed a car seat (for a 2 year old) in the back of a XKR convertible, and if so which manufacturer? Seems pretty tight back there, but I've heard rumor it has been done!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheAntiCol
JNotte, is this the seat you got?

Cosco No Back Booster - Black : Target

I have the Evenflo for my 6 and 4 year old:

Evenflo Amp LX Booster Seat - Paintbrush Pink : Target

The Evenflo is very tight to get the seat belt on and is slightly too deep. It overhangs the seat and takes an inch or two of valuable leg room. I'll take a look at the Cosco this weekend. For $12 it might be worth just buying them to try.
Yes, that's the Black and Grey seat I purchased at Target for $12.99. Model on bottom of seat reads "BC030BOK".

Old 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Funny, I was just having the SAME discussion with my fiance. The rear seats are PERFECTLY sized for children. Why would you need a booster seat?!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by fma
Has anyone installed a car seat (for a 2 year old) in the back of a XKR convertible, and if so which manufacturer? Seems pretty tight back there, but I've heard rumor it has been done!
My husband has an JAG XKR. The Rear facing uppa baby Mesa fits behind the passenger seat with the passenger seat all the way to the front. No passenger will fit in the passenger seat though. This is an INFANT REAR-FACING CAR SEAT.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

You're searching for the needle in the haystack. Just take your other vehicle that was designed for rear-facing infant seats in the back seat. Don't compromise your child's safety.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Funny, I was just having the SAME discussion with my fiance. The rear seats are PERFECTLY sized for children. Why would you need a booster seat?!
It's the law in most states. In Minnesota all children and under must be in a child safety seat.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You're searching for the needle in the haystack. Just take your other vehicle that was designed for rear-facing infant seats in the back seat. Don't compromise your child's safety.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That, right there. What Stuart said. Have you seen how easily the back seat comes out of the XK? Have you seen pics of a totaled XK? Rumor is that the only reason the back seat exists was for insurance purposes.

Just because you can fit a kid back there, doesn't mean you should.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (09-21-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Gee, I still remember me and my two sisters rattling around in the back seat of various cars my dad had way back when. No seat belts, booster seats or even a telephone book. Amazing we all lived!

Quick Reply: Question about booster/child seats