XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.

In the next couple of months I will add another vehicle to my stable. Its already decided it will be an XK/XKR...... preferably an R. So I will quickly say I have a dealer license (only deal in classics primarily) and own a bodyshop (that can do aluminum repairs).

Thoughts about R convertibles ? I love XK converts, I live in a convertible state (9 months a year) and love the performance but....... I absolutely LOVE the coupes also. I have had a convertible of some make in my stable since 1990 and haven't had one since I sold my XKR last year. But... I know the coupes are rarer and IMHO cooler. I guess maybe Im not ready to buy but part of my decision is based on, I will know it when I see it.

Still, would appreciate comments for or against either version. I am also in a position to buy a damaged one and fix it. Im not cheap just can take advantage of some things in the industry others might not have available.

TIA, John

Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
In the next couple of months I will add another vehicle to my stable. Its already decided it will be an XK/XKR...... preferably an R. So I will quickly say I have a dealer license (only deal in classics primarily) and own a bodyshop (that can do aluminum repairs).

Thoughts about R convertibles ? I love XK converts, I live in a convertible state (9 months a year) and love the performance but....... I absolutely LOVE the coupes also. I have had a convertible of some make in my stable since 1990 and haven't had one since I sold my XKR last year. But... I know the coupes are rarer and IMHO cooler. I guess maybe Im not ready to buy but part of my decision is based on, I will know it when I see it.

Still, would appreciate comments for or against either version. I am also in a position to buy a damaged one and fix it. Im not cheap just can take advantage of some things in the industry others might not have available.

TIA, John
I can sympathize with you as I too like the design and style of the coupe. But I am back to the point where after 45+ years (63 Corvette) since I had my last convertible it's time again. Being retired I need to take in some of the open enjoyment while on my way to the golf course. This will be our new golf cart , LOL

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

IMO, the XKR is a car that is begging to be driven in convertible form. If your climate allows, having the top down just adds a whole other dimension to this car.

Normally a handling benefit can be had by a coupe (versus a convertible). But this is a GT car, not a sports car. So chasing down a miniscule handling benefit and eliminating the wind in your hair does not make much sense to me!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It really does come down, simply, to individual tastes and desires.

Personally I'm not a fan of open motoring and I find that most convertibles (including the XK range) look better with the top up than they do with the top down, and I think the coupe is a better looking car overall.

Going a bit further and adding standard vs. "R" to the mix.....

In my mind ....and I'm getting into imagery....a convertible is sort of a fanciful thing. A pleasant, relaxing drive thru the countryside. A standard XK seems appropriate.

The "R" is a more serious car. Performance. High speed. Not fanciful. A coupe seems more appropriate here.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I feel strongly both ways... I suggest you buy 4... A standard XK in convertible/coupe form, and a R version in coupe/convertible form. After all, if your going to go crazy do it with cars!!!

Loth

Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

We have one convertible in the family, and have had it for 9 years. The top hasn't been down but about 5 times in the last year. I found out I don't care for "open motoring" and neither does my wife so I'm going to get rid of it and get another coupe - probably an E-Class Mercedes. Some of this probably has to do with the climate here in Atlanta - no fun in baking in 90 degrees sitting in traffic during the summer. Also, in my mind, I just think the coupes look better, and they seem to be rarer. There seems to be a limit to what designers can do with a canvas top as well as the hardtop convertibles.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox

TIA, John
Hello John:

I live in southern NM so we both share same climatic conditions. You are a bit hotter in the mid summer months. I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible. I love the car. It's classy and looks great both with top up or top down. We have plenty of great driving time to use the convertible since we have beautiful weather all year except for those hot summer months.

I don't think you could go wrong owning the vert so I suggest that due to your geographical area, you go that way.

You also have an advantage in buying a Jaguar because you have the dealers license. I personally have access to the auctionpipeline and watch the auto auctions on a regular basis for these Jaguar XK/XKR cars. While I am seeing allot of 2007 to 2008 hit the lanes, I am also seeing periodically some very nice newer years (2010 & 2011) with low mileage come to the block. You may want to consider watching the auctionpipeline site and search for an auction in the Phoenix market or southern California area auctions. I have seen some great looking cars. So having your dealers license is a major advantage for good price points. Many dealers across the country buy from the auctions when the Jags are newer model years and low mileage. Many of the Jaguar XK/XKR that I see with low mileage are bought by dealers then resold at their dealerships. I am following VIN numbers currently from the auctions all across the country.

So I suggest to go convertible, because of the months of driving you can get in, and suggest to use your dealers license, watch the auctions in Phoenix and So Cal and find yourself a nice car. If in so Cal I am sure you own a trailer to transport the car or simply drive back to AZ. It is such a short haul.

Good luck in your search. You will love the XK/XKR for sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going with an R, I suggest the coupe on looks alone. The R coupe looks just sinister enough to let you know it's not messing around, but it's also a simply beautiful profile. I might be biased because I have an XKR coupe, but having parked next to an identical car in convertible form over the weekend, I can say that I am so glad I went with the coupe.

Plus, my wife drives a Porsche Boxster S, so that covers our open-air needs.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I can respect people who don't like the open air experience. But the funny thing is many of these people seem to buy convertibles anyway. Anytime I hear someone say they have a convertible and put the top down 5 times a year, I have to roll my eyes. Buy the coupe!

This weekend we had beautiful sunny weather in the 60s. No excuse not to have the top down, yet most convertibles I saw left their tops up!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I rented a convertible once in Hawaii, I drove a friend's convertible once, both perfectly pleasurable experiences but I don't really see what I'm missing. They just don't do it for me, and I love the cocoon of my coupe. I say this because even with absolutely zero desire to have a convertible, I do occasionally miss not having a sun roof. The coupe is very enclosed, to the point of being claustrophobic with another person along. If this is not your thing get a convert, or consider the f-type with the glass roof--that looks cool.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Another benefit of the XK lineup is it is one of the few cars that doesn't weigh much more in convertible form than the coupe. I find this great since you aren't sacrificing hp/lbs performance for the open top experience. During spring and fall when the weather is perfect, I am glad I own the convertible. During the hot summer I keep the top closed and I'm amazed at how quiet and insulated the car is.

One thing is for sure, the exhaust note of my XKR-S is greatly enhanced with the top down, and so is the sense of speed. In my opinion, it is a terrific roadster-GT. With the top down I can also show off the London tan sport interior which looks amazing against the British Racing Green exterior.

Not sure you can go wrong either way...I love the coupes too but prefer the XKR-S vert.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The closest I had come to owning an open-top car was a Lamborghini with a removable targa top. I barely ever drove with the top removed as it was always ether too cold, too hot, noisy etc.

Just like many others, I am very attracted to the looks of an open car with the top down. They look fantastic. But, they do not look nearly as good as the Coupe with the soft top up. It messes up the lines of the car.

You being in AZ, I would guess that you would find most of the year far too hot for top down driving. If heat does not bother you, the vert maybe just right.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Another benefit of the XK lineup is it is one of the few cars that doesn't weigh much more in convertible form than the coupe. I find this great since you aren't sacrificing hp/lbs performance for the open top experience. During spring and fall when the weather is perfect, I am glad I own the convertible. During the hot summer I keep the top closed and I'm amazed at how quiet and insulated the car is.

One thing is for sure, the exhaust note of my XKR-S is greatly enhanced with the top down, and so is the sense of speed. In my opinion, it is a terrific roadster-GT. With the top down I can also show off the London tan sport interior which looks amazing against the British Racing Green exterior.

Not sure you can go wrong either way...I love the coupes too but prefer the XKR-S vert.
Very good point about the exhaust. Do the coupes have some sort of pipe that lets the exhaust sound into the cabin? I thought I heard something about that...

Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Do the coupes have some sort of pipe that lets the exhaust sound into the cabin? I thought I heard something about that...
All XKs have a system that brings controlled sound into the cabin from the induction system - the earlier models had an 'intake noise tube' to bring induction roar from the air intake system to a resonator diaphragm on the firewall. The 5.0 XKRs have a 'noise feedback system' that includes something called a 'symposer', which is an acoustic tuning device to change/filter the frequencies of sound conducted from the intake system.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The convertible didn't strike me as having enough room, there's more to break, and the coupe's line are just so nice. That being said, I was so close to buying a dark blue and caramel vert with chrome wheels. The blue matching top really carried lines well.

Seems like there are more convertibles made, but stats shown on this forum lead to only slightly more convertibles being manufactured.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The convertible didn't strike me as having enough room, there's more to break, and the coupe's line are just so nice. That being said, I was so close to buying a dark blue and caramel vert with chrome wheels. The blue matching top really carried lines well.

Seems like there are more convertibles made, but stats shown on this forum lead to only slightly more convertibles being manufactured.
I have been looking for a used convertible since around October of last year. Based on all of the sites I have been reviewing I would say that there are significantly more coupes available in the 2011-2013 years. If I did want to buy on I would have been able to purchase quite a few by now. I do like the style but I'd rather have a rag top this time around. As been mentioned its just a matter of taste.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Very good point about the exhaust. Do the coupes have some sort of pipe that lets the exhaust sound into the cabin? I thought I heard something about that...
I don't know about the XKR/S but mine is rather quiet in the cabin even under hard acceleration.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'd never buy a convertible. I dont even like putting the windows down in my car, I have them tinted dark, I hate the smell of exhaust, I like the music up loud, and I like the look of the coupes far better. But one of my business partners is the opposite. He always drives a convertible. He wont tint the windows because he likes people to see him (his admission). Just horses for courses, I suppose.

But I would say this, I took the fixed back windows out of my car while they were tinted and drove it like that for a few days. There is a completely different sound that comes from the back that you dont get in the coupe even with the windows down, it was so awesome that I was very envious of 'vert owners. So if you are into engine noise, I'd probably consider the 'vert over the coupe.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Live on Fl east coast. Have 2011 xk vert. hood goes down when it comes out of the garage, as long as no rain of course. The car is great and the sound of the engine is greater. But I do agree about long road trips with the hood down. The interior can and will get dirty fast. It is up to the user but I prefer the vert. Its good to be BAD!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I prefer coupes when it comes to high performance sports/GT cars

Quick Reply: Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.