XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I have both. Coupe looks better. It is a striking design but if you like driving with top down you will regret not getting 'vert. If I had to get rid of one I would keep the coupe as it is just drop dead gorgeous.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 899 Posts

Well, after looking at all the various opinions re coupe vs. vert, I come down solidly on the vert side of the equation. There is something so very special about the xk or xkr vert that the coupe doesn't have IMO I will always come down for the vert. In addition living in S Cal or Arizona you will be able to enjoy the open air almost 12 months out the year. On the other hand, either way you can hardly go wrong. I guess the above statements are why Jaguar makes both coupes and verts.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
In addition living in S Cal or Arizona you will be able to enjoy the open air almost 12 months out the year. On the other hand, either way you can hardly go wrong. I guess the above statements are why Jaguar makes both coupes and verts.
I go to Scottsdale often and can't imagine driving a vert (top down) from mid-June to Sept! Sun is just too strong. There's no where to escape the sun in a vert.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Wow, figured I would get some replies but .....

kudos to this forms members and there love of Jaguars. I really appreciate all the replies. I do think the decision will be a convertible. While I know some think maybe its too hot here, my commute at 6:30am for 15 minutes even in July isn't bad. I actually went 10 months without putting the top up on my last XKR convert. I love open air driving and since I don't do much during the hottest time of the day I survive the hottest part of the year for the most part. Plus the cooler temps of northern AZ are just an hour away on the weekends and that's where everyone goes just for that reason.

Someone commented about buying all 4 models, while I did chuckle I also thought...... ok, if I bought a couple 07-08's that I could get at salvage auction cheap and rebuild this could actually work. Getting the wife to buy the idea might be tough though, LOL. Then again, she does get tired of driving the tank.

To the poster (so many I can remember all there names) who said to use auctionpipeline. I view all the auction sites. I used to be a regular used car dealer (still small 10-15 cars 20K or less) but the escalating price of used cars, limited clean inventory and competition being so small wasn't worth the time. Switching to classics has proven to be the correct move but I still have connections at some of the high end luxury dealers where I can purchase trades that's done sell well on the dealer lot IE: Jags don't sell well on Benz lots. I tend to only buy one owner, clean carfax/autocheck with maintenance records for myself.

I will continue to look and of course once purchased I will post some pics here. Again, thanks much guys but based on comments, my driving habits and geographic location it will be a convertible........ until I buy one then it could be a coupe, LOL.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
To the poster (so many I can remember all there names) who said to use auctionpipeline. I view all the auction sites. I used to be a regular used car dealer (still small 10-15 cars 20K or less) but the escalating price of used cars, limited clean inventory and competition being so small wasn't worth the time. Switching to classics has proven to be the correct move but I still have connections at some of the high end luxury dealers where I can purchase trades that's done sell well on the dealer lot IE: Jags don't sell well on Benz lots. I tend to only buy one owner, clean carfax/autocheck with maintenance records for myself.
I was the poster having access also to the auctionpipeline website. I have seen some nice 2010-2011 XK/XKR converts go thru the lanes. Keep watching they are out there.

Good luck in search, glad you decided on the convertible. You will have no regrets living in a warm weather state.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you will be very happy with the vert. Buying a one owner from a JAG dealer is the way to go. If one wants steak don't go to the fish house. Good luck on your search and purchase.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Simply because this is the most recent "coupe vs convert" thread, I'll post this here. I think I finally found a car that looks better as a convertible than a hard top:

Attached Thumbnails Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.-image-2468957381.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I go to Scottsdale often and can't imagine driving a vert (top down) from mid-June to Sept! Sun is just too strong. There's no where to escape the sun in a vert.
Summer just means that top down time shifts to after dark.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Just turn on the air condition seats and enjoy the summer.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

In my Porsche days, I originally had a 911 ragtop and moved to a hardtop. Didn't enjoy it near as much as the vert and swore that I'd never make that mistake again. When I decided to go the Jag route, it was never a question. ...and that roar from the rear end is so much sweeter with the top down.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Convert is the way to go, then again I am only 20 and my girlfriend and I love the open air, it's amazing and especially driving down PCH at night time with it down is perfect when you have the windscreen up, I haven't drive on PCH in the day time and I'm sure it will be a even Greater Experiance! In my own opinion since I live in California and I can drive pretty much all year round with the tip down, any sports car I can get will definitely have to be a Convert.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

My classic mustang is a vert. and lid is off whenever possible and the boot on. It just looks too darn sweet. However, being a vert, I need to add a roll bar before I can do any spirited driving at our local go fast road course and I don't want to cut into my custom "real' leather interior. However, I do like the lines of the XK(R) coupe, with the added benefit of their built-in roll bar top, so to speak. This being stated, I've got a series eye on an XKR Portfolio vert...go figure? Do you suppose I can convince the tech inspectors, the roll bar will spring up, if needed? My vote is for a nice "coupe".

Attached Thumbnails Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.-left-frt.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 899 Posts

The xk and xkr have built in roll bars that pop up when called for. Look at the tonneau (I hope that is spelled correctly) and you will see an outline of just where the roll bars are located. It might help to put the top down to see them more clearly.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

You could show them this (from the manual):

ROLL OVER PROTECTION SYSTEM
The roll over protection system fitted to the convertible vehicle comprises two roll over protection hoops located behind the rear seat. The roll over protection system is controlled by the RCM (restraints control module). The RCM has an internal roll over sensor which triggers the pyrotechnic latches that hold the roll over protection hoops in place.

The roll over protection system hoops are located behind the rear seat underneath the tonneau cover. The tonneau cover has two hatches set into it to allow the hoops to break through once triggered. The hoops are spring loaded and held in place by a pyrotechnic latch. The latch is fired in response to a trigger from the RCM. Once fired the latch opens and the hoops are released. As the hoops move upwards a ratchet in the body of the hoops locks into place and prevents the hoops from being forced back down by the weight of the vehicle. Once deployed the hoops cannot be re-set and should be replaced with new components.

The hoops have a small pin mounted on top which breaks the rear window if the convertible top is up. This allows clear passage for the roll over protection hoops to operate.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
You could show them this (from the manual):
Thanks for these details. This process begs me to ask.... "Can the roll-bars be manually operated?"

Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

No - and you wouldn't want to. Once they are out, you can't retract them, and you can't put the hood up with them extended. They are a one-shot safety device like the pedestrian-impact system.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default DVM chip

Another question....
Has anyone installed one of those DVM Motorsports chips in their ride? If so, are the results commensurate with, that, which has been has been mentioned?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Another question....
Has anyone installed one of those DVM Motorsports chips in their ride? If so, are the results commensurate with, that, which has been has been mentioned?
I installed a G-Force chip in my 2010 Ford F-150....It very hard to see any increased fuel savings or extra mileage results, nor increased HP.

Driving conditions can vary so much, it is difficult to tell if they really work.

In addition I understand the chips change the ECU functions.

Probably NOT suggested for a Jaguar.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

convertible all day long. car was meant to be a vert

Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
No - and you wouldn't want to. Once they are out, you can't retract them, and you can't put the hood up with them extended. They are a one-shot safety device like the pedestrian-impact system.
That's interesting. I wonder if someone could develop a crank operated ROPS system so that they can be manually operated for track day events.

Quick Reply: Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.