XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Radar sensor warning

Old 03-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Radar sensor warning

The other day while driving home in the rain, the big yellow triangle warning showed up on the dash stating that I had a Radar Sensor block. The warning disappeared as quickly as it showed up, but I didn't know what its function was or how I unblock it. Searching through the forum's posts I only saw one reference in the XF forum to a similar issue but no replies to the poster's inquiries. I am assuming the radar is related to the adaptive cruise control (which I have never used), and has now self corrected, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
The other day while driving home in the rain, the big yellow triangle warning showed up on the dash stating that I had a Radar Sensor block. The warning disappeared as quickly as it showed up, but I didn't know what its function was or how I unblock it. Searching through the forum's posts I only saw one reference in the XF forum to a similar issue but no replies to the poster's inquiries. I am assuming the radar is related to the adaptive cruise control (which I have never used), and has now self corrected, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
The radar cruise control system depends on an unobstructed path to the sensor located in the front nose above the grille. There are many things which can cause an obstruction and the warning light is there simply to do the job of telling the driver that the system is not functioning...the driver need do nothing, and in fact can do nothing to make it function again other than keeping the frontal area clean. The system will resume functioning by itself when the obstruction is cleared and that obstruction can be ice, mud, and at times even heavy rain...anything. Because of these issues, newer cars of all makes now have the system sensor in the grille unit behind a clear plastic sheet which is quite visible, usually surrounding a grille badge.

Last edited by sov211; 03-08-2019 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tberg (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Although I don't have the ACC on my vert; I did have it on a 2004 XJR. The manual states do not use the ACC in rainy or snowy weather because the radar sensor can be blocked. That is probably what happened to you.

tberg (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Avoid Using Cruise Control on Slippery Roads

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Although I don't have the ACC on my vert; I did have it on a 2004 XJR. The manual states do not use the ACC in rainy or snowy weather because the radar sensor can be blocked. That is probably what happened to you.
Generally it's a bad idea to use cruise control on potentially slippery roads. The National Safety Commission Alerts: Hazards of Driving in the Rain with Cruise Control

tberg (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have never used cruise control, adaptive or otherwise, ever in my life on any car, so this happened without cruise control being activated. However, there was a steady but hardly torrential rain.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

LemMe guess.... Sliver Jag?
Yup....

Common, although I don't recall it extending to 2010.
Jaguar had a firmware update to help, as well as having the sensor aligned to a slightly different angle. Cant recall the TSB, but Ill see it I have it on file.

As Ralphwg says, If your driving in bad weather, it is a 'feature' built in by Jaguar to disable it.
Vince

Verified TSB # JTB00086 covered my car, but it says it applies to 2007 - 2008 model years.

I still think a lot of it has to do with the additional reflective silver in out paint, but cant prove it. Even after the updates, my XK kicks off for no visible reason

Attached Files

Last edited by CleverName; 03-09-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Lots-o-spelling goofs
tberg (03-09-2019)