Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
luxury, soul ok, if it is very reliable otherwise it is not a soul i need.
I have seen this situation before- a non qualified person worked on a precision engineered car and it was headaches ever after.

I had a Maserati, it did more miles on the mechanics lift than on the road.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

A LOT OF JAGS ARE SEMI HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS, well compared to the average car they are definitely a high performance car... with the high performance come certain liabilities and risks...and they can require more attention... if its economy and reliability that you are attracted to then a jag, bmw, merc. are not for you... get yourself a honda or toyota, tell your friends how many miles u have on it and all about your mpg.....myself id rather take one in the head then go that route....

Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Injekter
A LOT OF JAGS ARE SEMI HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS, well compared to the average car they are definitely a high performance car... ....myself id rather take one in the head then go that route....
Yes I could never drive something that had no character and was just a machine. I could never own a car from a culture that had no sense of passion. When was the last time you heard a good band or movie come out of Deutchland. Every single model of Jaguar has had tons of engineering to make the car 'alive'. Germans make machines, reflective of their own personality or lack of. Brits would take one in the head if they had to live with just a subservient machine. Ian Callum said the XKR was the closest he has come to creating something that is alive. He has also put a ton of life in the Fpace which he said was a real challenge being just a suv.

Now that they are reliable and some say even more than the German stuff, its a no brainier.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Now that they are reliable and some say even more than the German stuff, its a no brainier.
Jag has the technology, build, looks, and reliability. What they need to improve on is their suspension. My XK was really rough on uneven pavement, and hard spring - soft damper ride I am not so sold on. They are able to maintain the steering feel across the board and direct it to what the cars purpose is. My VDP and XK both steered like a Jag, but one was a big 4 door the other a GT.

Jag needs Lotus to design the suspension and make their cars handle as good as they look.

jagxk2008 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Jag has the technology, build, looks, and reliability. What they need to improve on is their suspension. My XK was really rough on uneven pavement, and hard spring - soft damper ride I am not so sold on. They are able to maintain the steering feel across the board and direct it to what the cars purpose is. My VDP and XK both steered like a Jag, but one was a big 4 door the other a GT.

Jag needs Lotus to design the suspension and make their cars handle as good as they look.
they need a better design, and not sure you can sell great design sport car if in the other hand you built cars for a chinese market? or for i do not know who? cause i will think rich chinese need design and this is not.
also you need to try not to copy a design.

i m not sold by the last xj, but it be cool to see a type 3 xj in alu with a 3 liter twin turbo, modern bumpers, to change a bit the design, the type e too with a f type rear stuff like this. they created too many models too far away from vintage jaguars, that is why i am not a fan of Ian Calumn.

there is too many stupid models, i won't buy a 120k xk cause there is too many xe etc...i do not think it work this way, big error.
same when AML shows a rapide electric with tesla in 2016-17? not sure if it is good to sell 18 miles / gallon car. they don't know yet how many they will sell, if it be reliable but its a deal breaker if you look at a v12.

Jag need to solve their issues with their own dealerships, there is stuggle in both ways, customer to dealership and jaguar to dealerships, its too much and the client heritated straight.

they need a registered/share all the repairs and built a better computer system to record each cars maintenance. They need to educate the dealership to smile and say hello, you do not need 7 lunatics on 10 people who say hello one time on 4, I will say, the basics!

Last edited by jagxk2008; 02-28-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

yes the xk suspension are not great, i don't like it when it re adjust, I don't like it when it is floating at high speed, ( no need to talk about the xj8 from 2003 to 2009, they were the 4 air shocks and better not do it)
they may need a steering box (pavements) and hydraulic steering like AM.

the xk shape has these tendancies, it may need to be larger and less rounded shape like the front is, but more like the AM, larger and flater... with jags you need to anticipate a lot between gears, sometimes its juts not the moment at all to pass a gear, or it takes too long, this and the handling yes could be better.

you should nt need a xkrs for handling, cause design or how low it is may pissed you off, i cant enter my garage with that car.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 02-29-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

I understand Ian Calumn did the design of the db9, but for me this is the AM that looks the oldest, and its lateback now, i like the rapide , rear and front with the led lights. I do not like the new xk looks. Its too rounded...

Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

yes the xk suspension are not great
The XE and XF are supposed to have improved suspensions and steering feel. Haven't driven either yet. XE is looking to be a hit.

jagxk2008 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

An industrial designers perspective:
Every Jaguar lover should know that Aston Martin of this century are all Ian Callum designs. He did two revolutionary things that should make you proud. He took one of the ugliest cars ever made, with absolutely no design element that could be carried forward and made it one of the prettiest. So if you look at any car, a corvette, porsche or Jaguar Xk line, there is a lineage in design that gradually traces back to the first one ever made. Meaning that as a designer you have had decades and generations to get people accustomed to a design. Ian did it in One step- he took the hideous Virage and gave us the Vanquish which took the world by a storm.

The way he did it was by sacrificing the Jaguar DNA and giving it to Ashton Martin, which was its flagship model at the time. In other words, if Ian had not been forced to do his best for AM, he would have put it all in the rightful owner of all those lines- the XK.

Ian will go down in history as being the designer that could save companies by complete metamorphosis of design. He has done it again with the XF/XE. He took a antiquated xtype which was at the bottom of the pack in terms of desirability of design and handed merc, bmw, audi their hats.

Its vital to know that JLR is now owned by a wealthy architect, as opposed to bean counters and boffins of yore. An architect who has given Ian a blank check to pursue design. I wish we could get Ian's designs back from Aston; they have done nothing since and now disgracefully buying engines from Mercedes. The AJ133 is a much superior engine.

Its important to know one's heritage.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Aston before Ian

Aston after Ian

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
chazaroo (07-10-2017), ralphwg (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 2,609 Likes on 1,800 Posts

The key to financial success for any automotive company is attracting and keeping new buyers. That can be accomplished through creative design and performance, but must also contain value.

Value is fleeting and is a perception by the buyers that the price matches the looks and performance plus resale value. In my humble opinion, the resale value of many recent Jaguar models makes some new buyers think twice. Leasing, unless subvented by the manufacturer, may be non competitive due to lower residual value based on wholesale market prices. This remains one of the challenges for Jaguar, unlike some of its main competitors such as Porsche.

Aston Martin produce such low numbers of vehicles that resale value is generally not an issue for those owners who also enjoy exclusivity.

jagxk2008 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I gotta admit I would love to own an AM and I had driven a few when I was in Fl. 2 years ago and looking for my XKR. The only thing that held me back was I didn't have any reliability knowledge and the dealers around here are far and few between. Also at that time my budget was at $75 K and that would only bring me into a 2008 +/- year car. Looking at the above picture and also the styling it is easy to see the comparison between the AM and XK . So I made my choice and have enjoyed it ever since.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
chazaroo (07-10-2017), jagxk2008 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I gotta admit I would love to own an AM and I had driven a few when I was in Fl. 2 years ago and looking for my XKR. The only thing that held me back was I didn't have any reliability knowledge and the dealers around here are far and few between. Also at that time my budget was at $75 K and that would only bring me into a 2008 +/- year car. Looking at the above picture and also the styling it is easy to see the comparison between the AM and XK . So I made my choice and have enjoyed it ever since.
I have a AM dealer asking for 45 e the liter of 0w40 mobil , which you guys pays 6$ in the us, but AM paris ask 23 e ( and are expensive) but spain is like this, they ask 134 k e for a 2010 rapide when it is at 80 k in the us. its crazy and why I wait more and learn how to find it well. Also the fact they sells /repairs AM with Ferrari pissed me off a lot.
I will want to make more bucks and will probably buy one, the vantage seems small but its cute.

I like the led lights of the rapide which really looks more modern than a db9, I never had that much money to buy and never took my time like this.

I email yesterday for a 2013 rapide, since i spend lot of time in spain, if the car is newer i could avoid the service in spain and get it done in france where the price are more decent.

but each time i saw a ferrari in a dealership before i saw fraud, mileage fraud or people with the same attitude, old folks very shady, I do not know why AM is so much related to Ferrari but for me its a real bummer. Last time it was a dealership here in valencia called cars something, they were showing a 2008 xk the leather console was so old it looks like it was a crocodile type, and they were saying it has 20k km....when the car probably had 150k km. this is how i imagine Ferrari now.

I think AM is doing huge commercial mistakes, showing a rapide electric with tesla, ferrari, and prices from 23 e to 45 e for the same thing is a Big no no for me, sorry cause i like the car a lot. its very odd indeed. And I asked this morning why there is such differences.

If Mercedes could buy the brand and make it smoother, more accesible, less weird attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XyOwJd6lk#password

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-05-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

but each time i saw a ferrari in a dealership before i saw fraud, mileage fraud or people with the same attitude, old folks very shady, I do not know why AM is so much related to Ferrari but for me its a real bummer. Last time it was a dealership here in valencia called cars something, they were showing a 2008 xk the leather console was so old it looks like it was a crocodile type, and they were saying it has 20k km....when the car probably had 150k km. this is how i imagine Ferrari now.[/url]
If a part is not in moving contact, it is not miles that wear it, but storage conditions and age.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
If a part is not in moving contact, it is not miles that wear it, but storage conditions and age.
Yep, a Ferrari with 150,000 miles would be worth millions. Impossible to put that many miles on anything Enzo designed.

And to your point, a 10 year old car with 15000 miles is a bigger problem.

ralphwg (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 2,609 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Yep, a Ferrari with 150,000 miles would be worth millions. Impossible to put that many miles on anything Enzo designed...
The key to purchasing and owning a Ferrari is knowing the service history and keeping up with the maintenance requirements. Most who purchase a Ferrari are not able, or willing, to have the maintenance done when they feel they do not drive the car very often.

If you have a 1990s Testarossa for example, the major service typically costs between 18 000$US and 25 000$US here in California depending on where the work is performed.

It may not be a matter of being able to put 150M miles on a Ferrari, but a matter of having other less expensive vehicles to put that many miles on.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

I do not want bring more critics, but I always thought there was too many people working at Jagaur dealership. , you always see a bunch of guys there and its cold, and services is not good. I think jaguar should review everything, when they do classes, they should teach them back the basics. Like respond to an email even to say sorry or no. this is too much for some....you guys at Jaguar runs to create more design but the client suffer from his service experience and you are doing nothing to change it. for me Jaguars are not reliable. I have been contacting AML places, and its impressionning how they do respond. Most jag dealer will ignore emails, another sign things do not go well between jag and the dealerships, its not about yourself! send 1 email to 10 jag dealer and see, if you got 3 responses its good! but its 30% responses, it means you will get a responses on 4 emails sent.

Smiling, saying hello, and responding to emails will be a good thing to think about, before to learn about how to maintain cars, its not about repairing something the customer was struggling about for so log and ****ing something else! The consequences of a poor experience goes very far.

email to services or to buy a car are not responded. it does not matter what you re trying to do.
Am I wrong thinking Porsche and AML hired much less people at the dealership. There is always a colony of peeps at Jag to ignore you the best they can.

The worst jag dealership Automotion Lyon France . Where I got struggle fixing my jag, supposed to be the best in spain, Grupo Iberica, paco there has offered me parts sometimes, but the owner had me come back 3 times to fix the xkr, and update new tires and make me pass for an idiot, then they wanted to pay fpr new tires which I refused, then they ****ed my transmission during their trial. they will definatly never save you a stress. experience with jaguar france and jaguar spain was not good. but jag france was a nightmare sending me free tow and sending me a letter to pay after. I think Jagaurs has his *** between 2 chairs.

I was spending like 4-5 k per year at jaguars in services to disturb them! and i did this since 1999 to 2014!

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-07-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

^ You are always dissatisfied, if I was a dealer I would stick it to you too.
I would save my favors for someone who was appreciative. And as we say a good sport.

Maybe you think by being a pain they will make sure you dont return. But you are the best person to make money from without guilt.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

^ You are always dissatisfied, if I was a dealer I would stick it to you too.
I would save my favors for someone who was appreciative. And as we say a good sport.
I don't think he was being overly dissatisfied for the service he received and under no circumstances should a dealer ever "stick to a customer" regardless of how demanding or lack of appreciation they appear to have.

Granted, being a good sport could warrant going "above and beyond". Jaguar in the USA has had a mixed bag of dealership experiences. In MA, there is about 5-6 different Jag dealers and two of them are horrible. To me, they haven't returned calls, sent me the wrong parts, and/or triaged something in an order they knew wouldn't fix it but could charge me more...

If it wasn't for my local indy and a good dealership that knew what they were doing; I'd be hesitant in buying one again. Luckily Jaguar has been sold in MA for a long time and there are places that are competent and nice to deal with. Heck, my indy gets calls from Jaguar dealers all the time on how to fix or diagnose something on older cars several times a month. Then again he asks them on the newer cars if it's something new for him...

Old 03-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I find their suspension to be spot on perfect for a GT car. I don't understand why yours was rough on uneven pavement. I drive in NYC where the pavement is horrendous and it handles it just fine. The last thing I want from the XK is a harsh sports car ride - for that I would drive an F-Type, Miata or a Porsche.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 03-08-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today