Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear view camera retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Rear view camera retrofit

Now that I have decided to go for the rear view camera (RVC) installation integrated onto 07 XK Nav Screen, it occurs to me that there's a lot I don't know that you "techie" types can help me with.

To begin, I understand that I need a camera feeding a Video Converter (PAC brand VCI-X) feeding the display system via the Jagwrangler developed plug and play video harness. The VCI-X outputs 2 channels, one of which is auto triggered (selected) RVC video when you select reverse.

1. The RVC camera itself. There seems to be hundreds on the mkt. Any thoughts on the best selection?

2. Where is the Vid Converter mounted? The trunk, the console or behind the radio? Are the main connections made in the trunk or up front behind the radio?

3. Same question as above for the "plug and play" harness.

4. What interior panels have to come out and what are the cable routing issues?

Understand that some of these answers are contained in the other forums. But the key nuggets of info are buried within many, many posts and frankly the jargon is difficult for me.. We need to get a thread going for the late model XK/XKRs.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 01-14-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Tarheel,

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. This topic was extensively covered in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-models-62443/

Bottom line: everything is possible at a price, but to do what you want is very expensive and you might not be satisfied with the end result.

Stuart

Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart,

The latest approach, as developed by Jagwrangler and others on the XK8 forum, does not use the NAVTOOL or any of the Jag OEM stuff. Maybe I should not have used the term "retrofit".

As I understand it, the video converter from PAC and the special harness from Jagwrangler, is a game changer. I calculate the job can get done for $500 US or less. The concept has been successfully applied to any number of European cars without the awkward operating characteristics of the Navtool approach.

I hope you're wrong and I'm right.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 01-14-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Sorry Tarheal, since we traded emails I have now had a chance to download the 2007+ XK schematics. The PAC VCI-X will not work for these cars.

I still hope to come up with a cleaner, cheaper rear camera solution eventually, but it is not going to be a simple matter of minor changes to the early XK8/R video adapter approach.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Stuart,

The latest approach, as developed by Jagwrangler and others on the XK8 forum, does not use the NAVTOOL or any of the Jag OEM stuff. ...
As I understand it, the video converter from PAC and the special harness from Jagwrangler, is a game changer. I calculate the job can get done for $500 US or less. ... I hope you're wrong and I'm right.
Tarheel,

I hoped you were right, too, since for $500 I would be in. Unfortunately, WhiteXKR rained on our parade.

Let's keep this thread going in the hope that WhiteXKR or someone else will come up with a solution at a reasonable cost. If so, I'm sure there will be lots of takers.

Stuart

Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Well, on the plus side I pick up my 2007 XK this Saturday.

Stay tuned for some cool products!!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new acquisition! Be sure to post some pix on this thread! Can't wait to see your products!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I went as far as looking into the mirror-screen option at Car Toys. Sadly they stopped me cold because I have the auto dimming mirrors, which I guess is not available in that system... grrrrrr

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Stay tuned for some cool products!!!!
Congrats on the buy! Looking forward to seeing your handywork on our XK's!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 01-14-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well I could just cry (read sh-t), as we say in the South. Fortunately I did not start buying anything in anticipation of this project. We had such high hopes.

Ditto on the congratulations to WhiteXKR, AKA Jagwrangler, on the acquisition of his XK. It can't do anything but good for one and all.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys!

I am pretty excited. It is an ebony with a black top and caramel interior. Luxury package, adaptive cruise & premium audio. It is at 75K miles but very well maintained.

I'll be drivng it from Alabama back to Virginia this weekend for some quality bonding time.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck with the weather- looks like it might be nasty. Be safe and stay far away from other drivers

Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations WhiteXKR

If you want to share the headunit schematics...the input and control for the touch screen, I will help in looking for a way to develop an interface to the screen that can be automatically activated when reverse is selected.

There is already a mechanism/unit that will turn a camera on when reverse is selected...all we need now is an interface that interrupts the normal input to the touchscreen that will display the camera output automatically in reverse. We should be able to use the same "reverse signal" to activate an interface and interrupt the normal input to the screen while the camera is on, and simply "disable" the interrupting interface when the camera is off.

The touchscreen is simply a display (along with the I/O for touch functionality - but not an issue with just displaying an image). I know this can be done.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Here's is my take on this issue, keeping in mind that I'm a mile wide and 1/2 an inch deep in this technology:

I. getting the camera to turn on when reverse gear - the reverse light is one way- is sorted.
2. transmitting the camera signal to the head unit, wireless or hard wire, is sorted.
3. formatting the video signal to something our nav system can deal with at the head unit is maybe addressed by the "video processor" ?
4. wiring this "processed vid sig into the head unit without too much cutting and splicing and without tearing the car apart is the issue.

I think all of the above can be done. But can it be done by the average DIY Jag pilot, that's the problem. If you must get the job done by a $200 / hr "expert" then the project becomes cost prohibitive.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

The video at the head unit is most likely a standard video resolution...what specific resolution I don't know because I do not have the specifications on their systems. I do know that Jaguar doesn't use technology that is beyond the capability of the rest of the world, and also know that they utilize suppliers that employ standards in electronic design and operation. DOing otherwise would introduce prohibitive costs in design and manufacturing.

There are several different locations to detect when in "reverse".

The display has an input interface...any interface can be interrupted/bridged/modified given the correct knowledge and resources.

Putting the modification into a DIY package is another challenge to solve, but we aren't talking about installing warp drive.

It really isn't that sorted...we just need the information specific to Jaguars electronics...specifically the head unit and information about the reverse circuitry and controls (inclusive of wiring diagrams and specifications).

Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

I do not have the head unit schematics, just the car wiring diagrams availble form Jaguar Topix.

The video interface is a high speed digital serial standard called GVIF which was originated by Sony which is used in a number of vehicles: see GVIF

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTR_telematics.pdf (118.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Appreciate the PDF. My approach to this would not use the Navigation "circuit".

The rear view camera would be wireless and there would be an interface between the normal head unit display input and the head unit/display itself. The camera and the interrupting input interface would both be automatically activated by selecting reverse, causing the video on the head unit to display the rear view camera automatically. Deselecting reverse, or selecting any other gear selection would disable the camera and the interrupting interface, restoring the head unit display to its normal function.

If I were designing this I might also build in two more options, (1) to disable display of the rear view camera altogether (whether reversing or not), and also to turn the camera on at any time and display the rear view camera video (no matter what gear is selected). With this functionality you could be driving down the interstate and aim your Phasers at anyone traveling to close...

Thinking about this more may produce some other functionality/usage scenarios to design for as well...

Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Wonderful to watch great minds at work. I have an idea you guys, RSCULTHO & WHITEXKR , etc. will close in on this.

Not to get too far ahead of the process but some of these solutions could be sold in kit form thru outfits like Welsh Ent. and others. Jagwrangler may want to reexamine past policy.

Stay on it guys. We need this kind of thinking. What can I do to help? Money, brains, sex. Okay, money it is. Seriously, if you need me to chip in on development hardware or a test bed car just PM me.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

I will look at rear camera problem as soon as I can, but to be honest, my number one reason for getting the XK has been to develop a Remote Top for the convertibles.

This mod. has been very popular on the earlier models, and I am getting a constant stream of requests for it for the 2007+ XK. Just as with the video, it is a more difficult challenge to implement on the later models.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would LOVE a remote top down for my 2011 XK. Never even thought of that. Hope it's one that a technically incompetent chick could install!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thebeachatnight
I would LOVE a remote top down for my 2011 XK. Never even thought of that. Hope it's one that a technically incompetent chick could install!

Thanks for expressing your interest!

The goal is plug and play, and it will use the existing remote. Also there will be no need to hold a button.

I am excited, but it is a tricky problem on this car because the top is normally disabled until the ignition is on. Wish me luck!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-20-2013 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RacerXK (08-15-2013)

Quick Reply: Rear view camera retrofit