XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Red center caps on wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Red center caps on wheels...

My 20" wheels currently have black center wheel caps (first pic).

My 2002 XKR had red center caps, and they added a bit of contrast to the wheels and the black car. The second pic is of the red center cap with the same growler as the one that is currently on my wheels in black.

What do you think? Does this add any "spice"/color (in a good way) to the wheels?

EDIT: I should add that I plan on painting the calipers red at some point - I'm thinking that the red caps would accentuate that look as well.

Attached Thumbnails Red center caps on wheels...-black_center_wheel_cap.jpg   Red center caps on wheels...-red_center_wheel_cap.jpg  

Last edited by rscultho; 05-02-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

On a black car they certainly add of pop! Make sure the bottom of the growler is lined up to the valve stem.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Deepstuff (05-11-2023), emxnyc (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

No doubt that a little color on the wheels would make them pop, however, if you did that, then you would lose the continuity from what's on the front grille.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW, here's a shot of the red caps on XKR:

I almost ordered the caps with the 'facelift' growler, but I think that would be a bit too unoriginal. I've seen these in green, but I think the red makes me more attractive to law enforcement officers.

Cheers!

-e

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Originally Posted by emxnyc
I think the red makes me more attractive to law enforcement officers.

Cheers!

-e
I like the red centre caps, but I think this is a little too much information!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
My 20" wheels currently have black center wheel caps (first pic).

My 2002 XKR had red center caps, and they added a bit of contrast to the wheels and the black car. The second pic is of the red center cap with the same growler as the one that is currently on my wheels in black.

What do you think? Does this add any "spice"/color (in a good way) to the wheels?

EDIT: I should add that I plan on painting the calipers red at some point - I'm thinking that the red caps would accentuate that look as well.
I have them from the factory and they look great when clean but they get plenty dirty from all the brake dust,

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Is your grill badge black or red?

Originally Posted by RJC
I have them from the factory and they look great when clean but they get plenty dirty from all the brake dust,

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
RJC

The R badge is red/green/silver and the Jag center badge is silver w black ltrs (grille is black)

Last edited by RJC; 05-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Old School

Another possibility is the retro classic script Jaguar center cap that was standard on my 2009 XKR Portfolio:

This would eliminate any concern about conflicting with the grille emblem. I'm pretty sure they're available from your dealer for slightly more than the growler cap.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I like the red, wonder how it would look on my liquid siver 08 xkr vert. BL

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Another possibility is the retro classic script Jaguar center cap that was standard on my 2009 XKR Portfolio:

This would eliminate any concern about conflicting with the grille emblem. I'm pretty sure they're available from your dealer for slightly more than the growler cap.

What are those dots on your rotors are they cross drilled? It appears they don't go through the rotor though. Like your taste in tires.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJC
The R badge is red/green/silver and the Jag center badge is silver w black ltrs (grille is black)
Yea, that sounds like the same grill badge I have. I have looked around and can't find any grill badges for later XK/R's that have Red instead of Black.

I've ordered a set of Red center caps.

I hadn't considered the older style center caps. Will think about this more.

There may be other possibilities here that I have not considered...

Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJC
What are those dots on your rotors are they cross drilled? It appears they don't go through the rotor though. Like your taste in tires.
My car has the optional Alcon brake package, including larger diameter crescent-drilled rotors with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers (I think they're made by Brembo). Drilling goes all the way through. I'm pleased with the Michelin tires.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My car has the optional Alcon brake package, including larger diameter crescent-drilled rotors with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers (I think they're made by Brembo). Drilling goes all the way through. I'm pleased with the Michelin tires.

The Selena wheels are awesome too. Those wheels and the Kasugas are my favorite Jag wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (03-27-2013)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
RJC

That's what I was thinking but couldn't tell from the pic and crescent drilled rotors are not so common as compd to cross drilled so I did not recognize that pattern; I wonder what the benefits are vs cross? How's the dust with those brakes/pads? Michelins are the best.

Last edited by RJC; 05-03-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
RJC

Yea, that sounds like the same grill badge I have. I have looked around and can't find any grill badges for later XK/R's that have Red instead of Black.

I've ordered a set of Red center caps.

I hadn't considered the older style center caps. Will think about this more.

There may be other possibilities here that I have not considered...
The caps should look good, I've seen them several times looking through the XK brochure and they've always caught my eye.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default Advantages of Alcon crescent grooved rotors

Originally Posted by RJC
That's what I was thinking but couldn't tell from the pic and crescent drilled rotors are not so common as compd to cross drilled so I did not recognize that pattern; I wonder what the benefits are vs cross? How's the dust with those brakes/pads? Michelins are the best.
Offhand, I didn't know if the crescent shape is any better or worse than circular cross-drilled, particularly in a street application. So out of curiosity, I Googled Alcon brakes and here's what I found on their website High Performance Brake Kits Knowledge Base - Alcon Components:
"Advantage Extreme discs have been engineered to produce optimum bite, thermal stability and durability in an exceptionally high strength to low weight design. This has been achieved by combining a special Alcon developed iron alloy disc with an aerospace specification alloy bell. Other disc benefits:
  •  
    • Unique crescent grooves on friction faces provide the bite usually associated with drilled discs without the attendant durability problems
    • Directional curved cooling vanes for optimum cooling performance
Alcon's floating disc system (as used in the majority of applications) has been designed to allow thermal expansion of the disc throughout its life while minimising the tendency to judder"
See this link for more detailed info about the crescent grooves: http://www.alcon.co.uk/download/know...roovediscs.pdf

I was wrong about the crescent going all the way through - they're gooves, not holes. My experience with the Alcon rotors is that they are quiet, smooth and have superb grip. But they're very expensive, so when I approached 30K miles, I had the pads/rotors inspected by my dealer (Nalley - great guys!) and was able to have a simple pad replacement done without turning or replacing the rotors, thereby saving lots of $$$. Bottom line: better to replace the pads before the rotors get scored and too far gone that they need to be replaced.

As for the dust, I think it is not much different from the other OEM Jaguar pads. The dust is a real PITA, so I recently tried waxing the wheels with some very old Maguiar's carnauba paste wax that I had laying around. I think that helped. Now, instead of having to clean the wheels after 3 or 4 days of driving, I can go well over a week and simply hose them off. The wax appears to repel some of the dust and facilitates cleaning.

Stuart

Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your grill badge black or red?
Here's hoping that 2014 XKRs also get the red front badge seen on this 2014 XJR.

Or maybe the XJ's is the same size as the XK's? Anyone know for sure?

Would love to swap my front emblem!

Attached Thumbnails Red center caps on wheels...-2014-jaguar-xjr-front-view.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Great Idea!

Red center caps with red calipers will look great. Now if you install the red front badge from a 2014 XJR ... that would be mega-cool! I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one suffering from CDO. I know ... most refer to it as OCD but it really should be CDO ... with all the letters in proper, alphabetical order!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Where To Get Them?

Being a reasonably new Jag owner, I don't know the best place to get various Jag accessories, such as red "growler" wheel caps, a red "growler" front badge, a chrome "leaper" for the trunk lid, red calipers or caliper covers, etc. Can I get all of those from my local Jag dealer or is there somewhere else I should look? I looked at CariD but I'm not ready to "Pimp My Ride"! What about a chrome "leaper" on a base for my desk? And what about Jag apparal? My Jag dealer said "Jag quit making it". Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Red center caps on wheels...