XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Refurbished Wheels - Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Refurbished Wheels - Any experience?

I like the Kalimnos rims but dealer price is almost 1000 a wheel. I seen several sites selling refurbished wheels to “factory specifications”. Do these wheels look new like they say? Are there any downsides to these. I’ve seen them selling for $395 a wheel. That’s $600 savings each.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I've seen Refurbished wheels range from Better than Perfect condition to what looks like some kid put half a rattle can of dollar paint over rusty crap.
I wouldn't be against buying refurbished, but NOT without seeing them first, in person. There is too wide a possibility of what you may receive by ordering them unseen.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

I've dealth with three different wheel repair/refinish outfits, and one was terrible, one was okay, and one was great. Coincidentally, the one that was great was the one I used to refinish a set of Kalimnos rims I picked up for a song. They refinished them in hypersilver, and I'd be willing to wager they are actually better than new. I'd suggest asking for as many pics as the site will provide or maybe a video before buying.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'm not an expert but the ones I've seen look new. Factory specs are shape, weight and balance.

I would define acceptable refurbishing as repairing minor dents in the rims and/or repairing curb rash, repaint or powder coat.

I would avoid crack repaired wheels personally. Maybe that's just me.
Demand HD pics of each wheel, all sides and find out if there were any cracks.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

The thing about pictures and videos.... are those REALLY the wheels that you will GET? My nickname is "Mr Cynical".

Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The thing about pictures and videos.... are those REALLY the wheels that you will GET? My nickname is "Mr Cynical".
Well if you buy them off eBay, you have the money back guarantee and the pics almost always seal the deal in a dispute. But point taken. It's not a cure all.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Before you consider buying any reconditioned or refurbished wheel. read this: https://www.hanfliklaw.com/general/w...ctured-wheels/

If you still want to buy reconditioned or refurbished wheels, then get it in writing and pay with a credit card.

To protect yourself, you must write to the seller and ask him to reply in writing to the following questions:
1. Are the wheels genuine Jaguar or replicas?
2. What was done to recondition the wheels? Were they straightened? Were any cracks welded? Or just cosmetic refinishing of curb rash?
3. What is your warranty?
4. Do you guarantee that the wheels are within OEM specifications and tolerances for lateral (side-to-side) and radial (roundness) rim runout?
5. If I have a warranty claim, how do you handle shipping costs?

If you are satisfied with the seller's written reply, then pay with a credit card because that gives you the right under Federal law to dispute that charge in writing and get a refund. See: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...e-purchase.php

I would never buy a wheel that was straightened or welded, as structural integrity (safety) has been compromised. I have no problems with wheels that were cosmetically refinished to fix curb rash.

Since it's Jaguar and British, I couldn't resist reiterating the classic advice: "Don't be penny wise and pound foolish." Thinking that you're saving money with remanufactured wheels may wind up costing you a whole lot more.

mosesbotbol (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I would never buy a wheel that was straightened or welded, as structural integrity (safety) has been compromised. I have no problems with wheels that were cosmetically refinished to fix curb rash.

Since it's Jaguar and British, I couldn't resist reiterating the classic advice: "Don't be penny wise and pound foolish." Thinking that you're saving money with remanufactured wheels may wind up costing you a whole lot more.
+1

Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you everyone. Great advice all around. I think I’ll postpone my decision until I need tires. I’m not up to decisions that might cause me grief. Suffer from chronic migraines and that would do me in. Probably just buy new when the time comes and try and negotiate a better deal with my Jaguar parts guy. All responses much appreciated.

Jim

Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Keep in mind that most of the sellers, especially those on Ebay, that are selling "reconditioned" wheels got them from a wrecked car. There is no telling what kind of damage was repaired and then painted over so they could sell them at a great profit. If the wheels are in great condition with just some normal rim chips etc they would sell them as is with out the extra expense of "reconditioning" them.

If you think about it where else would all of these wheels come from? Most guys that upgrade to aftermarket wheels either keep them for returning to stock when they sell it, or they sell them to another Jag owner. I just don't see any avenue for all the reconditioned wheels you see on Ebay to have come from other than wrecks. A slick paint job will hide a lot of unknown damage and questionable repair techniques. Doesn't make sense to use something like this on a 155mph+ Supercar. Bottom line is buyer beware unless you trust the seller with literally your life.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

There looks to be a few sellers who are quite invested in re-manufacturing wheels to a high degree. You'll be able to recognize who they are hopefully answer your questions to ask noted above.

I would look for non refinished wheels that are like new. Keep more of an open mind on design. Jaguar has a few nice designs. That way you'll get the TPMS and tires.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Keep in mind that most of the sellers, especially those on Ebay, that are selling "reconditioned" wheels got them from a wrecked car. There is no telling what kind of damage was repaired and then painted over so they could sell them at a great profit. If the wheels are in great condition with just some normal rim chips etc they would sell them as is with out the extra expense of "reconditioning" them.

If you think about it where else would all of these wheels come from? Most guys that upgrade to aftermarket wheels either keep them for returning to stock when they sell it, or they sell them to another Jag owner. I just don't see any avenue for all the reconditioned wheels you see on Ebay to have come from other than wrecks. A slick paint job will hide a lot of unknown damage and questionable repair techniques. Doesn't make sense to use something like this on a 155mph+ Supercar. Bottom line is buyer beware unless you trust the seller with literally your life.

Cheers,

Dave
some darn good advice Dave. I think I’ll go new oem when the time comes.

Jim

10XKR (04-19-2018)