XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

A problem with that thinking when it comes to wheels is that the offset and bolt pattern severely limits the market to sell used aftermarket wheels from a Jaguar 5.0L XKR.

The wheels will fit a Volvo wagon of a short year period and have a decent offset for the car.

They will fit some XF's and XJ's.

They may fit the latest generation of Ford Mustang, but I haven't checked if the offsets would work.

That is about it.

There are some other cars with similar bolt bolt patterns, but the offset needed would make for incompatibility.

From a value perspective, this isn't like your Porsche 928 where there is a serious aftermarket wheel market, and a multitude of 944's, 928's, and 911's, spanning decades of shared lug patterns and offsets. (There are also several light trucks and VW's that fit the Porsche wheels as well.)

I would pursue your other modifications first, and see where it leaves you.

Aftermarket wheels offer a terrible value proposition from weak demand and limited market.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

The Porsche 928 was very similar... Only a select few manufacturers has the right bolt pattern and offset available. Many go with 3 piece custom for that reason.

The wheels that allow for custom offsets are typically $5k or more for a set or quality forged, but there are a few companies that do custom offset alloys in jaguar bolt pattern for under $2k (see Stance wheels - similar to HRE, work wheels, etc).

Either way, wheels are definitely at the bottom of the list in terms of priority and how I want to spend money on the car.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Just making sure since you mentioned resale value.

I bought and use aftermarket wheels and I am happy with their performance.

I do consider them a considerable value loss based on my research before getting a set made to order.

The Porsche is easier for someone to figure out how to jack and change out wheels, owning multiple wheel sets is more common.

A barely related observation, the tire weights for 19" vs 20" for these cars remain about the same. It isn't like my 944 where there is a lot of difference between 16" and 17".

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The back box is the same for the standard XKR exhaust and has the vacuum operated valves which open up the 2 outside exhaust tips.
I think that the internals are actually different on the PAE back box and they have different part numbers.

Here is a picture courtesy of Cambo:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1794995.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I think that the internals are actually different on the PAE back box and they have different part numbers.

Here is a picture courtesy of Cambo:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1794995.
That picture was to compare an XKR with an XKR-S so I would assume that the back box was different. The question I thought was asked was is the back box the same for the XKR with standard exhaust and the XKR with the PAE option exhaust.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Correct, but the PAE backbox and the XKR-S have the same part number which is different to the standard one.

The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
jagtoes (07-12-2019), kj07xk (07-12-2019), Sean W (07-12-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Does anyone know the ideal wheel offset for a custom wheel? I feel the stock wheels could use a bit of spacing...

Best I've seen so far is from @MaximA , who has 20x9.5 ET45 with 265/35/20 on the front, and 20x11 ET40 with 295/30/20 on the back.

I'm looking at the Stance SF07, which is a forged wheel similar to the HRE design, and offers the jaguar bolt pattern and custom offsets.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 07-27-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
Does anyone know the ideal wheel offset for a custom wheel? I feel the stock wheels could use a bit of spacing.....................
These are the sizes I'll go with when I get some custom wheels/tires....

Old 07-28-2019, 03:02 PM

So same wheel size, but you have an 9mm larger offset for the back, with wider tires as well. With that offset your back spacing is 7.93in vs 7.57in with 40mm offset... Plus some extra for the tire. That sounds like potential for the inner tire or wheel rubbing on the suspension.

Do you know the maximum backspacing that fits the front and back, and how changing ride height will affect that number?

While we're on that topic, it looks like there's no options available for changing ride height on a 2011+ suspension besides the Spires adjustable coil-over kit. H&R is the only one I've found and it's 35mm, which puts too much negative camber on the tires...

Old 07-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Inner ribbing isn't a factor as there is almost two inches of clearance with the stock wheels/tires so 22mm isn't even close. Maximum increase to the outside is something like 19mm before a problem shows up.
Those I showed are as large as I would go without problems, but many people don't care about biggest/largest/widest but merely want bigger/larger/wider so any increase would be fine.
I didn't factor any ride height decrease at all.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Understood, but wouldn't that also just pull the wheels into the car unnecessarily? Do you plan to change your ride height?

I'd think that you'd want offsets that offer ideal scrub radius and also push the wheels out as much as possible... do your numbers achieve that? Also, I'm pretty sure the geometry on your car is different than the 2012 redesign.

The 2010 springs work on the 2012+, but I'm pretty sure the hubs have different spacing and the wheel sizes that would work on a 2010 would not work on a 2012+. Unless you know differently?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Having been down the custom wheel path.

Their are two offsets:

2007-2009,
2010-2015.

The change was made for the wider differential design on the 5.0L cars.

In turn they wanted to not shorten the halfshafts and create steeper angles.

As a consequence, rear off sets changed with the 5.0L cars.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:10 PM

That also explains why the Spires (Eibach) suspension works on a 2012 XKR:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-work-184200/

It took me way too long to find that thread. I'm not sure it's common knowledge that 2010 springs will work for the body restyle cars... There are many threads questioning why there's nothing available for the 5.0 cars besides H&R. I would personally not want to have 35mm of decreased ground clearance on a daily driver. Even 20mm is pushing it, but still more cost effective than the 10mm XKR-S springs. I think it should look very nice to have the the following appearance items:

Eibach springs
Stance SF07 wheels I've chosen above
Mina rear carbon diffuser
Mina front splitter
Aero pack spoiler (C2P22257XXX... I think)
XKR-S side skirts (C2P21656XXX and C2P21657XXX)
Carbon rear plinth and hood vents

That's my plan for it, with a pulley, intermediate x-pipe, and tune on the performance side.

Also doing GVIF with android auto in place of buying the 2017 volvo nav DVD.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

There is a wealth of information on this with the search feature.

The transmission control unit limits the throttle electronically based on torque calculated virtually.

I have not messed with this myself, just sharing what I remember reading.

In other words, you can raise boost, tune the ECU, and the TCU will just cut your throttle back anywhere you exceed this torque value.

The stock engine rides fairly close to this torque value, and has a broad/flat torque curve.

You might just want to do the X-Pipe, then get the TCU/ECU tune from a XKR-S and leave it at that.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 AM

Indeed, I have spent more hours than I'd care to admit reading through the forum, since I decided an XKR would be my next vehicle. The search feature is great.

That's how I discovered everything from tuning options, to suspension options, to the ideal exhaust, to the wheel size, to the GVIF... And what order those items should be installed in to ensure everything operates correctly. For example, I wouldn't install a pulley and exhaust without first knowing how and where I would get the engine tuned.

I did read about the TCU basically ensuring the transmission stays within a safe range for operation. I'd be more than happy with XKR-S numbers and maintaining factory reliability if that's the best option. Rarely, will I ever see triple digit speeds in this car. It's a daily driver, so it's not seeing the track or a road course any time soon. I just want something unique to my tastes, sounds good, and has the performance to back it up (which it has already).

I will likely keep this single thread alive to document my build process, so I can use it as a point of reference and documentation that can essentially stay with the vehicle moving forward.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 07-29-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

subscribed..... I see you're in Dallas. Maybe we'll bump into each other some time. There is a car show almost weekly around here.

The following users liked this post:
TraxtarXKR (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by shemp
subscribed..... I see you're in Dallas. Maybe we'll bump into each other some time. There is a car show almost weekly around here.
I certainly hope so! Send me details on the show. If it's not too early I'll stop by. I normally don't do cars and coffee (or mavs and mochas) because I don't like waking up at 6am just to stand around some cars.

Since I've had mine, I have only seen 2x other XK's, and none were an XKR. Both were black, and both were the '07-'10 body style.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I don't do the Cars and _____ shows for the most part. In fact, I went to the first one ever 2 weeks ago because our club was invited, and I went mostly because this one was more of a supercar show. Mostly McLarens, Lambos, Ferraris, and there was a Pagani, I felt out of place LOL. Nice to get to see these cars up close though,

If you are interested in the club, check out JAGUAR OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF NORTH TEXAS We have about 15 XK variants in the club, a few F-Types and a lot of older Jags.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:21 PM

Just to keep this thread updated, here's a few changes I've made to the car since ownership:

Suspension:

I've purchased Spires Springs for the 5.0 XKR, which are a brand new design only released this past June. According to Spires here's the details:

The non specific R version spring is approximately the same stiffness as the standard R springs. So whilst it would lower the car and return a sporting feel, doesn't give the stiffness most customers would expect. The newly developed R specific spring is 15% stiffer so not only lowers the car but gives it a more sporting character. Comfort is retained because we opted a circa 20mm drop rather than 35mm+ as other brands have done in the past.

-Matt (Spires Tuning)

Considering I'm going to change to a custom set of 20" wheels, the added stiffness does have me a bit worried. I quite like the feel of the car currently, and going to a thinner sidewall AND stiffer springs may be too much. We shall see.

(See earlier photo for wheel choice)

Performance/Exhaust:

I found a local exhaust shop to modify my intermediate pipe with a stainless x-Pipe and v-band clamps for easy service. The shop doesn't have access to a mandrel bender, so he used the factory bends to create the new exhaust section. I have kept the resonators and will save them in storage, just in case. The exhaust sounds nice, but is still a bit too muted for my tastes. I will likely purchase a set of 200cell cats from Derek Fricke, since I really do like his sound clips of factory back box with XKR-S intermediate and his cats he custom makes in-house.

I'm still on the fence with a larger crank pulley and tune... I don't take the car on very long drives, but I really don't want to mess with reliability and the possibility of overheating. Time will tell, and it's low on the priority list.

Exterior:

For starters, I discovered a neat fact... It seems that midnight black was a 1 year only color in 2012. I don't see it as an option for any other year. Downside is finding any replacement panels or spoilers that are my exact color will be very difficult.

I've installed the black pack trim parts on the fender vents and bumper vents. The upper grille surround is in the garage, and I'm just waiting on an opportunity to remove the bumper for that installation. The black pack trunk and camera trim is also currently in transit.

Rear wheel spats were also installed, along with belly pan wind deflectors.

I have purchased a set of XKR-S side skirts, and an aero-pack rear spoiler (which should arrive next week).

I also plan on searching classifieds for a used 3-piece front splitter, and will purchase a few bits from Chris at Mina Gallery as well, such as carbon hood vents, the rear splitter, and a front splitter.

Carbon Fiber mirror covers also came in and fit very nicely.

The headlights still need a polish, and I just need to find the time.

Interior:

I like interior modifications that are temporary, as my personal tastes change over time. For now, I thought a sporty red look would be nice. This is the fastest car I've owned, and I think it's beautiful car.. so, hopefully it turns out nice.

Interior has been slightly modified with APA Satin SuperCandy Red Metallic on all the 'spun aluminum' panels. It's not done yet, but here's the color

I've also added some red carbon paddle extensions to go with the carbon bits that are on the exterior. Totally not for everyone, and I do understand that. They were only $75, so a cheap experiment. Right off the bat, I can say that they are too close to the wiper and turn stalks. I can't have my hands on them without unintentionally hitting a stalk while turning. That's more of a complaint about paddles that turn with the wheel, though. I do see advantages to having wheel mounted paddles, so it'll probably just take an adjustment to my personal driving style to keep my hands off the paddles until they are needed.

I'm am waiting on an anodized red gear selector knob. I will cover the center selector medallion in black calfskin leather for a very nice look and feel.

I'm also nearly finished with my integrated android setup. Finished soldering up the wiring harness, so now I just need an hour or so to take out the radio and connect the touch controller and switch, and run the control cables back to the trunk.

Will post photos soon, as I have the opportunity to take them.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 09-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

So did you solve for the GPS problem on the android box?

Quick Reply: Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150