XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Rolling Clip of the Beast!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default A Rolling Clip of the Beast!

Had to run an erand with the wife and we were in separate cars. I thought hey, why not do some rolling footage!

So here you go:

Toys :: VID-20120611-00008.mp4 video by y_mccormick - Photobucket

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Great choice of wheel...the style really suits the car somehow

Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Haha, funny Bruce. The stock wheels do look good. In fact, one of the better looking stockers. But sitting next to some HRE's or similar there is no comparison. I'm not denying the wheels are nice - just seeking to improve on what's already good!

If I heard simple solution for the spacer add I would try them. Just don't want to cut my studs.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Having gone through a "wheel lesson" I can tell you that the 2010+ model year rear hubs stick out farther than 2007 - 2009 XKR's. So they changed something in the rear end; I imagine they beefed it up to handle the extra torque.

The offset of the Nevis wheels in the rear, -29, is about as far as you want to go with stock suspension due to upward wheel travel. I tried -36 offset wheels before I found this out and they were flush with the fenders. I am switching back to my OEM Nevis wheel today.

The Nevis wheels at the front are -49 offset which I think is the same for 2007 - 2009 XKR's.

The Nevis wheels are ok - but they just don't look aggressive at all to me. I'd like to get a wheel that is more open.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Your a lucky guy, If this were my wife and I she would totally be ripping on it and blazing the tires. Yours is so gentle. Car looks great.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Having gone through a "wheel lesson" I can tell you that the 2010+ model year rear hubs stick out farther than 2007 - 2009 XKR's. So they changed something in the rear end; I imagine they beefed it up to handle the extra torque.

The offset of the Nevis wheels in the rear, -29, is about as far as you want to go with stock suspension due to upward wheel travel. I tried -36 offset wheels before I found this out and they were flush with the fenders. I am switching back to my OEM Nevis wheel today.

The Nevis wheels at the front are -49 offset which I think is the same for 2007 - 2009 XKR's.

The Nevis wheels are ok - but they just don't look aggressive at all to me. I'd like to get a wheel that is more open.
Are you sure about the rear offset? As far as I have read, all of the OEM 20" wheels are 49 in the front and 46 in the rear. Why would the Nevis wheels be different?

Last edited by aahmichael; 06-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Are you sure about the rear offset? As far as I have read, all of the OEM 20" wheels are 49 in the front and 46 in the rear. Why would the Nevis wheels be different?
I am sure. They are not all the same; the 07-09 rear offsets are different.

I ordered a set of Senta (aftermarket) wheels that had a -36 offset (rear) and -49 in front. The front wheels fit fine - the rears however were flush with the edge of the fenders. I then did some more checking and found that the offset of the Nevis wheels in the rear are -29, which explains why the new wheels I got are about 7mm to wide. The wheels were scraping when I hit a big enough bump. And so, for 07-09 wheels that came on XKR's the fronts will fit fine on a 2010 XKR, but the rears will stick out to far.

I had them checked to see I could machine off 5MM from the hub but that would have weakened the wheel too much. So, I am back to my Nevis wheels.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Evoking - looking at that video it does not look as low as it appeared in the other pictures you had from the shop.

Looks good.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I am sure. They are not all the same; the 07-09 rear offsets are different.

I ordered a set of Senta (aftermarket) wheels that had a -36 offset (rear) and -49 in front. The front wheels fit fine - the rears however were flush with the edge of the fenders. I then did some more checking and found that the offset of the Nevis wheels in the rear are -29, which explains why the new wheels I got are about 7mm to wide. The wheels were scraping when I hit a big enough bump. And so, for 07-09 wheels that came on XKR's the fronts will fit fine on a 2010 XKR, but the rears will stick out to far.

I had them checked to see I could machine off 5MM from the hub but that would have weakened the wheel too much. So, I am back to my Nevis wheels.
Here is what I have learned from my research: Jaguar makes two different Nevis wheels. One for the XK and one for the XF. The XK is a -46 rear offset, and the XF is a -66 rear offset. As I said before, every other 20" OEM wheel that Jaguar makes for the XK has a -46 rear offset.

Where did you read that your Nevis wheel has a -29 offset?

I plead total ignorance when it comes to car stuff, but I thought that a -46 offset would be further in than a -29 offset. So, if you went from a -29 to a -36, then the wheel should have been more to the inside, not the outside. On the other hand, if your Nevis wheel is indeed a -46 offset, then putting on a -36 offset would move the wheel more to the outside.

Of course, given my total lack of understanding of car stuff, I may have this completely backwards! :-)

Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Here is what I have learned from my research: Jaguar makes two different Nevis wheels. One for the XK and one for the XF. The XK is a -46 rear offset, and the XF is a -66 rear offset. As I said before, every other 20" OEM wheel that Jaguar makes for the XK has a -46 rear offset.

Where did you read that your Nevis wheel has a -29 offset?

I plead total ignorance when it comes to car stuff, but I thought that a -46 offset would be further in than a -29 offset. So, if you went from a -29 to a -36, then the wheel should have been more to the inside, not the outside. On the other hand, if your Nevis wheel is indeed a -46 offset, then putting on a -36 offset would move the wheel more to the outside.

Of course, given my total lack of understanding of car stuff, I may have this completely backwards! :-)
Look at the cross section of a wheel, back side of the wheel to the left, front side of teh wheel to the right, and draw a line down through the middle of the hub.

If you move the left side more to the left, which means you pull the right edge in, you are creating a positive offset. If you move the left side/back side of the wheel to the right, moving the front side away from the hub, you are creating a negative offset.

A positive offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's front side, giving the spokes a flat or convex appearance. Which means that a positive offset will push the edge of the side of the wheel you can see inward toward the hub.

A negative offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's back side, giving the spokes a concave appearance.

So a negative 46 offset will push the side of the wheel you see out away from the hub, making the spokes even more slanted/concaved. Going from -46 to -36 moves the wheel edge inward toward the hub.

And so, a -26 offset is closer to the hub than -36 offset.

I actually sent an email to Jag USA asking for full specs on the wheels for my 2010 XKR. We'll see what they send. Even the dealers don't have all of the info and fitment.

Attached Thumbnails A Rolling Clip of the Beast!-wheel_offset.jpg  

Last edited by rscultho; 06-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aahmichael (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Yeah, the drop looks perfect in person. Some of the pics seem to have elongated and made it look lower than it is. Regarding her going gentle; at the beginning of the clip she DID rip it!

And they're right. The lower the offset # the deeper the wheel or further out the wheel will sit. But these are all reasons why I'm having my measured and the wheels custom built to maximize lip and concavity. Even the semi-custom high volume guys often use a stock of barrels meaning your barrel is usable with other cars too and thus every millimeter isn't maximized. I looked at a friends GTR with HRE's and you could barely slip a credit card between the caliper and spokes. Talk about build to perfectly fit!